The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #26
pound41

Re: Overheating/fluctuations with vintage air.

I recently bought my son an s10 blazer. it ran hot but didnt spike. I noticed the radiator had been replaced and the top hose would bulge and seep. Ok its the thermostat. Replace the therm and top hose. Same thing runs hot. the temp comes down when you switch from ac to heat. It has to be the original water pump. Replace the water pump. It instantly spikes running hotter than it ever did. The overflow tank is now full. I slightly crack the radiator cap. The top radiator hose starts to make a reching sound and move. It was a lot of air. After that started it up and it runs cool. I saw a show on TV.Newly restored hot rod. Same problem. They had a special radiator cap that had one hose for liquid going in and another for air going out
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #27
bamachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
I recently bought my son an s10 blazer. it ran hot but didnt spike. I noticed the radiator had been replaced and the top hose would bulge and seep. Ok its the thermostat. Replace the therm and top hose. Same thing runs hot. the temp comes down when you switch from ac to heat. It has to be the original water pump. Replace the water pump. It instantly spikes running hotter than it ever did. The overflow tank is now full. I slightly crack the radiator cap. The top radiator hose starts to make a reching sound and move. It was a lot of air. After that started it up and it runs cool. I saw a show on TV.Newly restored hot rod. Same problem. They had a special radiator cap that had one hose for liquid going in and another for air going out

Also, if the air bubble gets trapped at the thermostat, it can cause the thermostat to close, creating dangerous temp spikes. When it comes to cooling systems, air is the devil! LOL
Old 08-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #28
Smokey burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamachem View Post
Also, if the air bubble gets trapped at the thermostat, it can cause the thermostat to close, creating dangerous temp spikes. When it comes to cooling systems, air is the devil! LOL
Yeah I drilled 2 small holes in thermo to hopefully avoid the issue of trapped air
Old 08-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #29
Ole Beater

You should check to see if your bottom radiator hose is collapsing when the engine rpm's are up. Check the hose to be sure the spring is in it.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #30
Ole Beater

Another problem could be the fan clutch, if it still has one on it.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote