The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
mog797

Re: 1959 gmc ignition, starting problem

OK so after going through all the last tests the coil did fire the plug. So now what all the parts in the distributor are new can I check them or what next? I probably have another set of points I can put on just have to find the right ones I have about 150 different set of points I got from estate sale with a ton on NOS from a guys house that had a shop from like 1940's into the 1970's I still have no idea what all I got except to say it was a good deal. Most of the parts are NOS from Napa.
Attached Images

mog797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
chevyguyase

Re: 1959 gmc ignition, starting problem

Mog797, quite a score, you lucky dog. Back to the distributor. Did you score a dwell meter in those jewels? If you did & lucky enough to have the owners manual, follow the point resistance test in the manual. Make sure the rotor is turning when you crank the engine. Bump the engine until the points are on the highest point of the cam lobe. adjust it .017 -.019 with a very clean feeler gauge. with points still open remove the condenser attachment screw & insulate the condenser from grounding. with an ohm meter or battery powered continuity tester hook one end to the distributor housing and the other to the disconnected neg. _ primary coil wire. you should have an open circuit (no continuity) if you have continuity the circuit is shorted to ground. check the distributor pass through or the points itself since we have eliminated a shorted condenser by removing its ground. A coil is charged with voltage and fires when the ground is removed (open points) if the circuit is shorted to ground the coil field does not collapse and you have no spark. I'll watch this thread, if you need more help.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
mog797

Talking Re: 1959 gmc ignition, starting problem

OK to give an update to this ongoing saga of mine. I got the pickup running Yea! Old man I got it from never had it registered in the 20yrs. he had it so not sure how many decades it's been without running till today Sep 11 a day that none will forget I know this day brings lots of memories back for me I was on the east coast. My wife's parents had just left the day before and the hotel they were in was right there at ground zero. I was a fire fighter but didn't work then was all volunteers from TX but just on the road for work. However after that I did join the military until I was medically retired in feb. 2012. Anyway just makes me remember everyone who gave so much and my battle buddies that still are. OK so back to the pickup. It's alive thanks so much for all the help turns out I was just having a crazy day or something when I set the gap on the points cause I did it wrong! First time to set them ever, I have never had to adjust them in different vehicle's that had them well not alone if I did. I feel silly but totally excited it is going now Frankie is alive!
Did take a video will try to get it posted but have to leave for work

Thanks again I am sure I will need more help later!
mog797 is offline   Reply With Quote