The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
saginaw

Steering issue

First, sorry for my bad English. I have a 71 Suburban 4x4 that i drive all the time, its lifted 6 inches with 35's. Ive never had any problems with it earlier but from about a year ago something started to happen with the steering and now i dont dare to drive. Steering is under normal conditions fine, but out of nowhere i loose steering when turning, if i turn and turn finally it works but when turning back nothing happens until Everything comes in a second and im all over the road and sometimes it just steers by itself to the right. There is no play in the steering box, all rods are fine etc. Could the steering box be the problem although most of the time it works excellent? Btw after it did like this today and i stopped i couldnt rotate Wheels to the right but all of a sudden it worked again.
saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Steering issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginaw View Post
First, sorry for my bad English. I have a 71 Suburban 4x4 that i drive all the time, its lifted 6 inches with 35's. Ive never had any problems with it earlier but from about a year ago something started to happen with the steering and now i dont dare to drive. Steering is under normal conditions fine, but out of nowhere i loose steering when turning, if i turn and turn finally it works but when turning back nothing happens until Everything comes in a second and im all over the road and sometimes it just steers by itself to the right. There is no play in the steering box, all rods are fine etc. Could the steering box be the problem although most of the time it works excellent? Btw after it did like this today and i stopped i couldnt rotate Wheels to the right but all of a sudden it worked again.

It sounds to me like the "rag joint" is broken. The rag joint is the coupling between the steering box and the steering shaft above it.

This thread will give you an idea of what to check....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=614332

If that is not it maybe the pitman arm is loose on the steering box shaft. (see picture below)

Let us know what you find.

LockDoc

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Orange Crate

i would check the fluid level in the power steering pump too.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
saginaw

Thanks for the tips, i have checked it and everything was in order. I ordered a new steering box today, hopefully it will help.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
You might check and make sure the nut that holds the steering wheel on the shaft is tight, also.

LockDoc

-
Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
saginaw

Changed the steering box, problem was still there. Followed the hoses from p/s pump when exchanging it, someone had placed a cooler for the pump in front of radiator, when removing it steering was back to normal.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginaw View Post
Changed the steering box, problem was still there. Followed the hoses from p/s pump when exchanging it, someone had placed a cooler for the pump in front of radiator, when removing it steering was back to normal.

Great news! There must have been a restriction or air lock in the cooler somewhere. Glad you got it sorted.....

LockDoc

-
Old 09-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
saginaw

Yes steering was fine, until now, same problem appeared again. Today i swapped to a new p/s pump but it didnt help, i give up. I Think and Think but cant figure it out, i mean, the problem isnt normal, theres nothing in the steering system that can cause this as i see it.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
michael bustamante

you might have air in the system. top it off, leave the cap off and start the truck. rotate FULL TURNS for about 5 minutes.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
saginaw

I give up, replaced ball joints and Wheel bearings too, nothing helped. 95% of the time it works just fine but now and then it drags to the right, i turn back nothing happens for 2 turns then all of a sudden the 2 turns comes and im on the other side of the road.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
pwdcougar

Maybe there was a blockage in the lines and when you pulled the cooler it moved the blockage down stream into the steering box. Do you still have the original steering box?

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote