The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
Jrainman

to center console or not

At this point I am getting my interior together ,but I am on the fence about adding this center console , I am unsure about the room it does take up , just might be to much going on for the cab also ,cant decide ,your thoughts on this are welcomed to help me decide.
Attached Images

Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Mmorgan32

Re: to center console or not

Personally I think the plastic in an old steel truck doesn't look good. Maybe one from a square body blazer would look better. I had a 91 yes it was plastic but it wasn't big and bulky like that one. And I'm pretty sure they were all the same for all the square years so you can get them for pretty cheap
Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
jocko

I think I'd go with a stock console personally. That's a nice looking one, more functional, and useful, but that would be my 2 cents. The old ones just look better. Kinda depends what seats you're going to use - I was assuming stock buckets, but do tell!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
Jrainman

I do agree with you on the Blazer center console if I was building a period truck and I did find a real nice mint Blazer seats and console on CL but he wanted $1,000 for the set it is just not justifiable for this build

This truck will be a daily driven truck and I mean driven to the tune of about 1000 miles a week , lets just say I am tired of chasing OBD codes , tight engine compartments and rusted panels after 5 or 6 years.

So forgive my build I understand and respect correct builds ,but this one will have to have some modern convenience in the interior

I pulled leather pwr heated seats from a early 2000 Gm min van , but they have a more square look then sporty sleek or plush captain chair like. I feel they look pleasing not overbearing or out of place in the cab .

I have to throw one seat in and post a picture , I just am unsure of the console and I don't want to drill holes in my floor if I am not going to use it.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #5
Mmorgan32

I drive my truck daily and the stock bench does get uncomfortable after awhile sometimes and having an arm rest or even a cup holder would definitely be nice. I would set them all in then decide see if u like the look/ comfort. All else fails hit up a junk yard I got a whole interior( minus the back seat those are not cheap) even side panels for my 91 blazer for $200. I'm sure you could find something u like for cheap
Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: to center console or not

I personally like the modern seat's. I used 99 Tahoe seats with electric/heat. Best mod I've done to the 71.

Before you do anything I would put the seats in the truck and see how it looks with the center console.
here is a couple of pictures of mine.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
kingstrider

It doesn't do it for me but if you like it then that's all that matters.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
EARNHARDT#3

I personally think modern center consoles and modern seats in these old trucks look horrid. It just ruins the vintage look. There's nothing worse looking than the back of one of these trucks where you see big seats and headrests sticking up into the rear window. Even worse when it's a small window '67. But then again some people are really into tacky stuff.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Skinny Kid

Looks that console is in there backwards. Those a/c vents are for rear passengers and the lid will hinge in the front.
Skinny Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Jrainman,

It's your truck to do what you want with it. The only thing Tacky is people who think they are the only ones with good taste! That their way is the only way to do it. There isn't a right are wrong here. These trucks look good just about anyway you do them. So do what makes you happy and don't let the ones who make tacky comments bother you.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
These trucks look good just about anyway you do them.
I would have to disagree with you there.

Sure tastes differ, but there are some things done to these rigs that boggles the mind.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I would have to disagree with you there.

Sure tastes differ, but there are some things done to these rigs that boggles the mind.

Gary
That's the truth!

To the OP, honestly it's your decision. It doesn't matter if it looks dumb to everyone on the planet, as long as it looks good to you and fits your needs.

I don't like modern consoles, rims over 20", or shaved drip rails on these trucks, so I won't put them on MY truck. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
EARNHARDT#3

Well there you have it. If you like tacky stuff...ROLL WITH IT ;-)
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Jrainman,

It's your truck to do what you want with it. The only thing Tacky is people who think they are the only ones with good taste! That their way is the only way to do it. There isn't a right are wrong here. These trucks look good just about anyway you do them. So do what makes you happy and don't let the ones who make tacky comments bother you.
x2

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: to center console or not

There is nothing wrong with not liking something about a truck, but we all come here for one reason. We all love these model trucks no matter what. Yes there are some over the top things done to them some times and that is fine to.

What isn't fine is telling other members their trucks are tacky because you personally dislike what they did to their truck which you have no say so in. Weather you like a truck are not doesn't mean you attack the owner and what he likes which is what calling someones pride and joy is.
It makes it personal and it makes members stop posting! It's called being nice and respecting each other's choices.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #16
Acorn

Jrainman,

It is going to be your back and your rear that is going to be sitting in those seats for a 1000 miles a week.....id go for comfort and safety over looks.

I have some high back bucket seats in one of my trucks just for the simple fact that I could not live with myself if my wife ever got rear ended and ended up in the hospital from smacking her head on the back glass all because I was afraid someone would think my truck looked 'tacky'
And for a daily driver, you will find a center console VERY handy!
If you are afraid of drilling holes in your floor, you can do what I did. I just made a simple bracket out of strap metal and bolted it to the seat brackets. Then mounted the console to the bracket. It also gave me the flexability to make a bracket so I could raise the console up so I can use it as an arm rest. And remove it quickly if needed. Or change to a different console.

Build your truck to be used. Not just looked at...

Update us when you get pics with the seat in!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #17
Jrainman

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with not liking something about a truck, but we all come here for one reason. We all love these model trucks no matter what. Yes there are some over the top things done to them some times and that is fine to.

What isn't fine is telling other members their trucks are tacky because you personally dislike what they did to their truck which you have no say so in. Weather you like a truck are not doesn't mean you attack the owner and what he likes which is what calling someones pride and joy is.
It makes it personal and it makes members stop posting! It's called being nice and respecting each other's choices.
Well said and agree with your statement , but I am to thick skinned to let the flame throwers bother me LOL , The truck came to me as a started bailed project , it never had a chance for a correct restore that's why I chose it for a daily driver project. No show queen or garage Queen ,184 miles per day driver

If you think those were harsh replies wait till they see this ,the truck did not come with the holy grail of the cab ( dash gauges) and the cost for a good refurbished or new working one was not in the buget.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #18
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I personally think modern center consoles and modern seats in these old trucks look horrid. It just ruins the vintage look. There's nothing worse looking than the back of one of these trucks where you see big seats and headrests sticking up into the rear window. Even worse when it's a small window '67. But then again some people are really into tacky stuff.
I agree I do not like the head rest look , So off with there heads
Old 10-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #19
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Kid View Post
Looks that console is in there backwards. Those a/c vents are for rear passengers and the lid will hinge in the front.
You are correct Sir , but needed to put the heated seat switches some where ,so look a little closer at the Ac vents . Side hinged console
Old 10-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #20
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
If you think those were harsh replies wait till they see this ,the truck did not come with the holy grail of the cab ( dash gauges) and the cost for a good refurbished or new working one was not in the buget.
I think the digital dash is SWEET and I personally don't think there is anything wrong with having a modern interior in a classic, in fact I will go one step further and say that you should pack as many modern comfort and convenience features as you possibly can into the interior, electric windows, locks, tilt, rear view mirror with temperature and direction display, twilight sentinel, cruise, variable delay wipers, just go hog wild with it!
Old 10-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Well said and agree with your statement , but I am to thick skinned to let the flame throwers bother me LOL , The truck came to me as a started bailed project , it never had a chance for a correct restore that's why I chose it for a daily driver project. No show queen or garage Queen ,184 miles per day driver

I have owned my truck 30 years and have put close to 300,000 miles on it. I have had 3 motors and 3 interior installed in it. Look close at mine and you will see I built it they way I wanted it for driving it everyday rain are shine. If you drive it make it as enjoyable as you can.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club