The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #1
smartass12

Might be dumb question so be gentle

Should it have my truck tuned/dynoed ?

Just going to be daily driver..have a stock 5.3/4l60e, has base tune from lt1swap.com..seems to run fine other that the trans doesnt follow the engine when you step on it (if that makes sence) which i assume is more a trans issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522760
smartass12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
Heavymetl

Re: Might be dumb question so be gentle

Transmission tuning is part of having a real tune done. Mail order tunes are good for getting it running....otherwise to be optimized you'll need more work on the dyno or the street.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartass12 View Post
Should it have my truck tuned/dynoed ?

Just going to be daily driver..have a stock 5.3/4l60e, has base tune from lt1swap.com..seems to run fine other that the trans doesnt follow the engine when you step on it (if that makes sence) which i assume is more a trans issue.
Gentle eh?

I wouldn't waste time with just dyno'ing it, as the dyno is only a tool to confirm and test changes (and in some cases, theories).

Getting a professional tune done in person, with both road and dyno time, is the "procedural" way to handle it. Were you to be building a 800hp road monster, this would become absolutely needed.

In general stock swaps don't require the same level of detail, since very few things are changed from a factory calibration, however if your experiencing a problem related to the trans cal, a mailorder tune will just be guess-and-check'ing the results.

By taking the truck to a pro tuner, the time on the road and/or dyno should be able to reproduce your problem and view it on a log. Then make the needed corrections based on the log and general driver preference.

You may be able to find small gains in performance as well, since even bone stock motors have 5-20hp laying available in minute timing and fuel changes.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

My lq9 6.0 basic just to get it running tune ran fine to, but at first made only 265 hp on the dyno..for some unknown reason they put in a base tune for a 4.8..when they got done with the final tune it was pulling 345 hp..so yep..worth every penny.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
smartass12

Thanks for the information I just wanted to make sure that I was wasting money with a tuner when my application does not warrant it but it sounds to me like it would be worth me doing, what can I expect to pay for such a service...

Old 10-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
smartass12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Gentle eh?

I wouldn't waste time with just dyno'ing it, as the dyno is only a tool to confirm and test changes (and in some cases, theories).

Getting a professional tune done in person, with both road and dyno time, is the "procedural" way to handle it. Were you to be building a 800hp road monster, this would become absolutely needed.

In general stock swaps don't require the same level of detail, since very few things are changed from a factory calibration, however if your experiencing a problem related to the trans cal, a mailorder tune will just be guess-and-check'ing the results.

By taking the truck to a pro tuner, the time on the road and/or dyno should be able to reproduce your problem and view it on a log. Then make the needed corrections based on the log and general driver preference.

You may be able to find small gains in performance as well, since even bone stock motors have 5-20hp laying available in minute timing and fuel changes.
at least a little lube

Old 10-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Mine was $300 for about 2 hrs on the dyno. But it seems like things are a little cheaper here in the south than out in your neighborhood.

Last edited by mongocanfly; 10-24-2015 at 06:18 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

A few pulls and 10-15 minutes logging on road for a stock tune should by 250-350...provided they are actually looking into the trans problem and not just tossing another stock flash in there and calling it good. You should be able to give your tuner feedback in terms of shift points, firmness etc so you have the feel you want.

Once combo's get more complicated, or you start going into Custom OS and all that, tunes start going $350-650+, as the total amount of time (road, dyno, smoothing) can drastically increase.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
jweb

I just got quoted $550 from a local shop. I am having the same trans. problem on my ls1.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Gentle eh?

I am with you bro.....my old truck, stock as a rock, will still mow the curbs on both sides of the street. Carburated, & he!! on wheels? Rev J, we may differ , on opinions.....but we still have fun Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote