The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
harpo231

What is the problem with a shop doing your restoration ?

I only ask this question because I've read many not so subtle comments in different threads about having a professional or doing yourself.I have done total frame off on a 51 deluxe a 66 chevy panel (except for paint ,i suck at that). I had the good fortune to work for the same company 35 yrs with a wicked good retirement plan.So the brand new 67 c10 I've always wanted is in process , I love working on them but am now unable to because of health . I have seen the comments about replacement body panels . Well after 35 yrs in sheet metal fabrication, metallurgy,and manufacturing engineering.I think I know what to look for in metal parts. The panels that I have had to replace were all thicker gauge than original not much, 18 vs 19/20 (as little as 2/3 yrs ago you could only get in 22 ga) ..The parts do not always fit perfectly, We had laser cnc programmed parts that did not always fit up. I think in a lot of cases new panels and a little fit up outweighs hours of labor at 80$ plus per.. I'm Gonna pay an arm and a leg for my dream truck because of motor,trans, disc brakes ,wiring,new wood bed,bumpers,,etc and leave it for my boys to fight over.. Will my truck be any less a truck if I don't build it ? just something to kick around You can see the tear down on build thread.......
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: What is the problem with a shop doing your restoration ?

Do what you like, who cares what anyone else thinks?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
harpo231

Thnx Ledd Dats what i'm doin .
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
RedRoad

time or money, thats always been the problem for me. Now that Im retired I have the time but no money to get the parts I want (now that trucks are popular and prices are crazy for NOS or original stuff). Health for me is also now an issue as i cant wrench for 16 hours straight anymore without having to recover like I was in the Olympics.

There are a few problems I see with having a shop do it. The cost, normally the labor is at least 1/2 of the bill if not 2/3 depending on the condition of the vehicle. Is the shop going to do a good job? Taking a botched job to another shop is even more expensive. The last resto place I worked it charged an "idiot tax" to fix owners or other shop **** ups. Labor time was usually 3x the regular estimates to undo problems, fix hacks then start the actual repair.

The only thing I hate about owners who have shops build their rides is the failure to give credit to who actually built the truck. My step dad is like this, hustle a vehicle out of someone, pay someone to do the resto, take it to shows and win trophys then tell people look at the car I build that won all these awards. WEAK! I love it when real car guys start asking him tech or material questions and he gets that deer in the headlights look. PRICELESS!

I personally have more respect for someone with a beater worked on with their own hands than a $70K shop built ride that looks amazing.
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Robznob11

In some cases you can still spend a lot of time and money on new. My hood required a lot of work and still is not perfect. Pie cut down both sides. Also had to cut the inner structure of pass fender cause it would not meet contour of door and rocker. And to be done right hours could be spent on the edges getting the gaps correctly. Do your self a favor and spend extra on nos or very good oem pieces..... I would if I had it to do again.
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I'm sorry, but I stand strong on not having a truck built for me. I couldn't even consider it. Just can't fathom the thought of simply handing a check over for a job done by someone else. Can't begin to go there. Nope, I'm just not that guy. I'm the guy who wishes he was the guy who had enough money to have someone build a truck for him

I think even if I had one built I would still have a project. Even if I knew I could never finish it (hmmm... is that happening now?). I have always had at least one under way at any time for 30-40 years. It just wouldn't seem right to not have a partial truck on the property and a stash of parts

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
trac209

The only thing that I would hate is when somebody says hey nice truck I'd be obligated to say yeah I didn't build it though. If I had the money to pay somebody I still would do all the stuff I could on it myself. That said a health issue is what it is and nothing wrong with getting what you want by paying somebody to help out.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
jocko

It always come down to time vs money vs capability/comfort level with trying something new. I think there are probably very, very few who do EVERYthing on their particular resto. Some farm out the paint, others the engine, others the trans, etc. We all rely on parts from people as well. So, for those that claim they will only do it all, would they buy a wiring harness and install it themselves, or MAKE a wiring harness to spec? Anyway, that's my point, we all draw the line somewhere - I try to do most, if not all, but that does not mean I build my own complete wiring harness. Some people do though. Anyway, to your original question - and especially in your case Harpo, no, I think it's no leass a cool truck when done if it's yours regardless of who builds it. I'm sure it will be built to your specs and standards, so just enjoy it - glad you're staying in the game in spite of your health! What does get a little under my skin is if someone like Justin Beiber shows up in a $200k 72 Cheyenne super and doesn't even know where the engine is... But, hey, I guess that's ok too. At least he didn't show up in a Bentley (btw, I have no idea what Justin Beiber drives, I just know he gets on my nerves).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
time or money, thats always been the problem for me. Now that Im retired I have the time but no money to get the parts I want (now that trucks are popular and prices are crazy for NOS or original stuff). Health for me is also now an issue as i cant wrench for 16 hours straight anymore without having to recover like I was in the Olympics.

There are a few problems I see with having a shop do it. The cost, normally the labor is at least 1/2 of the bill if not 2/3 depending on the condition of the vehicle. Is the shop going to do a good job? Taking a botched job to another shop is even more expensive. The last resto place I worked it charged an "idiot tax" to fix owners or other shop **** ups. Labor time was usually 3x the regular estimates to undo problems, fix hacks then start the actual repair.

The only thing I hate about owners who have shops build their rides is the failure to give credit to who actually built the truck. My step dad is like this, hustle a vehicle out of someone, pay someone to do the resto, take it to shows and win trophys then tell people look at the car I build that won all these awards. WEAK! I love it when real car guys start asking him tech or material questions and he gets that deer in the headlights look. PRICELESS!

I personally have more respect for someone with a beater worked on with their own hands than a $70K shop built ride that looks amazing.
wow.. it was like I was looking into the future! haha i agree on everthing this man said.. but I would like to say most of the guys on here are DIY guys im one of them.. but I c no harm in working 30+ yr of work and health and not to injoy life to have a nice retirement gift for yourself to bring to the show and have a great time... and if u decide what shop will do it make sure they have a good rep.. and there willing to build the truck exactly how u would like it...
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
hamjet

Theres nothing wrong with someone who wants to own a very nice, well modified vehicle even if he's not capable, or he has too much going on to buy one already done. thats like saying "if you can't do it your self, you don't deserve to own one".
Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: What is the problem with a shop doing your restoration ?

I say go for it! If you have the money and not the health go for it man! There is nobody that can say anything that would change my mind. Just do it man!

Life is to short to wait!

Even if you do buy a truck already done are pay to have it built in the end it's yours and you don't have to explain nothing to nobody ever!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #12
canuckian

I have no issues whatsoever with someone paying a shop to do their build. They worked hard for the money. It's nobody's business but theirs how they spend it. Nobody blinks an eye when someone buys a brand new truck off the showroom floor. Paying for a completely finished 67-72 Chevy truck is no different in my eyes. It is kinda sad though when the owners who pay big money to get a vehicle built know nothing about the vehicle or the restore process.

I've just started on my '72 and I will do as much as I can on the restoration/mods but I'm well aware of my skillset and will work within it. The rest will get farmed out BUT I will be very well versed on what went into doing the farmed out jobs as it's in my nature to know as much as I can about everything I drive, or own for that matter.
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #13
CSmittyMetalworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Do what you like, who cares what anyone else thinks?
Gotta go with that answer.
CSmittyMetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If I was bucks up Id love to have something built by one of the well known builders. It would have to be built as a driver though ... meaning the underside doesn't have as nice a paint job as the rest of the truck.

Doesn't mean I still wouldn't be messing around with some other project of some sort.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #15
Blown06

I say go for it, it's your truck and your money. if you were some young kid who fell into a pot of money and could barely tie your own shoes, I might have a different opinion. But you've worked 35 years and have done other restorations, you know how to do it. Use some of that hard earned money and have it done then sit behind the wheel and enjoy it.

My project: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=646563
Blown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:16 AM   #16
leftybass209

There's nothing wrong with having a vehicle built for you. There is something wrong with a shop that will take your money, cut corners, layer bondo on so thick you need a sculpter to shape it, and/or doing what they want rather than what you want.

If the shop you chose is one you trust, then rock on with it! Lots of people get hung up on the "built, not bought" thing. I think it's silly and immature. Somewhere down the line everyone has to purchase something that was pre-built, pre-assembled, or whatever. It doesn't make you less of an enthusiast or car guy.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:56 AM   #17
RedRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Lots of people get hung up on the "built, not bought" thing. I think it's silly and immature. Somewhere down the line everyone has to purchase something that was pre-built, pre-assembled, or whatever. It doesn't make you less of an enthusiast or car guy.
As a "mechanic" I do everything I can with the tools I have, if I dont have the tools and they are not thousands of dollars Ill buy them and do it myself. If I could afford to purchase machine tooling I would be doing all my own machine work too. I dont trust shops to do a good job unless you are paying a high labor rate and then still sometimes they suck.

Pre assembled is not a bad thing, I think of crate engines/transmissions, axles, brake boosters and steering boxes. No matter what you still have to put them together and get them to work and thats the difference between an enthusiast or car guy. Like mentioned before anyone can go into a dealer and buy a $50K new truck put some rims and some suspension work and take it to a show, that is being an enthusiast. A car guy would buy the best POS project they can find and dump $50K in to making it their ride. It could be a stock resto, a slammed cruiser or a lifted mud bogger but the owner is spending time and getting bloody knuckles bringing their baby back to life.

For me the 'enthusiast' had killed the car scene for me. Back in the day you could hit a show or swap meet shop talk was the universal language that transcended year, make or model. People could troubleshoot issues without a scanner and everything was not about money and fame. People enjoyed working on their own car and like to be around others who did the same. The enthusiast these days is all about trends and bling. Enthusiasts look at classic cars as an investment where a car guy looks at it as therapy. Enthusiasts worry about tire treatments where car guys wear out tires.

For years I ran a mobile mechanic service that would not only do restoration work but teach you how to work on your vehicle if you wanted to. I would teach body and paint, metal work, engine building and tuning, performance and stock restoration of all systems. Many times it was just helping an older guy or someone with a health issue that had no one to help with the heavy lifting. As I got older myself and back issues also made it hard for me to roll around on cold concrete (if I was lucky) all day I got some of the younger kids from the car club to help out on jobs. Those are some of the greatest memories for me, when you have 3 generations coming together working on a single car its something special. Everyone is learning, having fun and feeling accomplished when the work is done and the ride is back on the road. That is something you just dont get when you take your car/truck to the shop for work.

A young kid used to come to the shop to have regular work done to his car. He put new rims, and a ton of chrome bits but had no mechanical skills whatsoever. We did exhaust, engine and suspension work and it cost a ton. I saw him at a cruise and he asked me where I took my car for work and he was blown away that I did 90% of the stuff myself. I asked him if he took his girl friend to some strange place to have some other guy get his hands all up inside her? He said HELL NO! I said neither do I, meet my wife and pointed to my ride

If I had $50K to dump into an old vehicle I would get the best condition, lowest mile, original survivor I could find and use any money you have left to preserve and make safe so you could drive it and use as originally built. In the end it would be worth more than a restored vehicle and when it finally does wear out let the kids work on it, en power themselves with knowledge and not become enthusiasts that have to call AAA to change a tire.
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #18
Aus69c20

I don't get the argument.
As lefty said at sometime everybody buys something prebuilt.
I'm in the construction industry and spend my working life constructing things for other people that don't have the skill set to do it themselves. So my skill set leans toward this area. Mechanically I'm ok, but I know my limitations and if I had body work to be done or an engine to build I'd get a professional. Because I know I'll get a better job with a quicker turnaround.

I just don't have those skills or the patience to achieve the outcome I would want.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
hugger6933

As a guy who owns a body shop I say there is nothing wrong with it
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #20
Youey

I myself do everything paint body mechanical whatever it is, I do farm out parts wire harness etc for my builds. It's what I like to and as others have said is therapy. The one biggest thing about having a shop do my build would be the fact that it's too perfect and wouldn't want to drive it, for the fear of getting scratches rock chips or even accident. Knowing that I spent all that money and now have imperfections. I'm sure there will come a day where I won't be able to do it anymore either and will have to get a shop to do the work. I don't think there's an argument here, if you want to bring up one the "enthusiast" is what we could have coffee over !
Youey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #21
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
I only ask this question because I've read many not so subtle comments in different threads about having a professional or doing yourself.I have done total frame off on a 51 deluxe a 66 chevy panel (except for paint ,i suck at that). I had the good fortune to work for the same company 35 yrs with a wicked good retirement plan.So the brand new 67 c10 I've always wanted is in process , I love working on them but am now unable to because of health . I have seen the comments about replacement body panels . Well after 35 yrs in sheet metal fabrication, metallurgy,and manufacturing engineering.I think I know what to look for in metal parts. The panels that I have had to replace were all thicker gauge than original not much, 18 vs 19/20 (as little as 2/3 yrs ago you could only get in 22 ga) ..The parts do not always fit perfectly, We had laser cnc programmed parts that did not always fit up. I think in a lot of cases new panels and a little fit up outweighs hours of labor at 80$ plus per.. I'm Gonna pay an arm and a leg for my dream truck because of motor,trans, disc brakes ,wiring,new wood bed,bumpers,,etc and leave it for my boys to fight over.. Will my truck be any less a truck if I don't build it ? just something to kick around You can see the tear down on build thread.......
All it takes is money! A shop is gonuing to charge you ~ $100.00 an hour. I have 1400 hours in my truck. Do the math. Let's see if you want to put $140,000.00 into a $25,000 truck
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #22
canuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
All it takes is money! A shop is gonuing to charge you ~ $100.00 an hour. I have 1400 hours in my truck. Do the math. Let's see if you want to put $140,000.00 into a $25,000 truck
That's 35 weeks at a solid 40 hours a week. If it took a shop that long to build one of these trucks and still charged full rate, I'd find another shop.

it'd take me that amount of time and then some to finish mine but I'm only one guy and I'm not a pro shop.
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #23
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
The issue is getting a shop to do "Good" work at a "Good" price. Do your reserch on the shop, look at there recent builds and have a solid time line for completion.You get what you pay for so choose wisely.

I farm out most body work / final paint but do all the mechanical work myself. But as I get older, always looking for ways to lesson the work load on a project.

Best of luck!

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #24
toolboxchev

You can go that route if you so choose.

Yet the true essence of Hot Rodding is a do it your self, grab some parts off what not and make it Rock.

I played paint to pass with my Boss today!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #25
sneakyfast

to me you need to decide what do you enjoy. If I didn't have a job I would love to spend the time working on the truck and fixing it myself and learning all about the different skills needed to fix it up.....reality....l have a job and wife and children.

Therefore, I've decided that I enjoy driving the truck more than it sitting in pieces in my garage.

So if you enjoy working on it then fix it yourself....enjoy driving it then get a shop to do it. Just my 2 cents.
sneakyfast is offline   Reply With Quote