The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
Ozzy2013

Tremec Trans

So i put a tremec 5 speed in and the clutch fades when hot .No slipping at all just when hot its hard to shift into first and reverse .I have a zbar and regular throw out bearing .It was a centerforce clutch and pressure plate with 5,000 miles on it .Anyone familiar with these trans?I had to adjust all the slack out of the adjuster and for the first hour it shifts great but i know the throw out bearing wont last long .Just looking for some input on these trannys .Thanks Oz
Ozzy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Tremec Trans

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the Tremic Transmission. Sounds like it is all in the clutch and throw out bearing assembly you used. Don't think the tranny is doing anything different.
Might be pushing the throw out bearing all the time kinda like riding the clutch causing heat to go into the pressure plate and clutch disc. I used a hydraulic assembly from a 2002 GTO with my Tremic 6 speed over 9000 miles with no issues.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy2013 View Post
So i put a tremec 5 speed in and the clutch fades when hot .No slipping at all just when hot its hard to shift into first and reverse .I have a zbar and regular throw out bearing .It was a centerforce clutch and pressure plate with 5,000 miles on it .Anyone familiar with these trans?I had to adjust all the slack out of the adjuster and for the first hour it shifts great but i know the throw out bearing wont last long .Just looking for some input on these trannys .Thanks Oz
That clutch was intended to use a hydraulic throwout bearing, not a mechanical one. It is likely that the way it is installed keeps the clutch from engaging completely. Adjust the linkage, if possible or replace the mechanical pedal with a hydraulic one and swap out the throwout bearing.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #4
Ozzy2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the Tremic Transmission. Sounds like it is all in the clutch and throw out bearing assembly you used. Don't think the tranny is doing anything different.
Might be pushing the throw out bearing all the time kinda like riding the clutch causing heat to go into the pressure plate and clutch disc. I used a hydraulic assembly from a 2002 GTO with my Tremic 6 speed over 9000 miles with no issues.
Awesome !Thank you i was wondering what i could use the kits are all right around 600 bucks ill get one from or for a 02 GTO .
Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy2013 View Post
Awesome !Thank you i was wondering what i could use the kits are all right around 600 bucks ill get one from or for a 02 GTO .
The master pedal assy and hydraulic throwout bearing for any 02-06 GTO would work.

Wilwood has a reverse mount pedal for $89.95 and a master which fits for $79.00.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Ozzy2013

I priced everything on autozone and the most expensive part is the line 150.00!Looks like it has some kind of special plug in fitting from it to the throw out bearing.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
bw46

I have a TKO600 and use a mechanical clutch, it can work. You need to have the right amount of throw. It sounds like you don't have enough stroke on the release bearing due to slop or improper linkage geometry. if not fully released it will be difficult to put into gear. If not fully engaged, it will slip and cause heat. You can get under the vehicle on jack stands and have somebody push the clutch in and out. You should be able to rotate the clutch disk when the clutch pedal is depressed (in neutral). when the clutch pedal is released, make sure you have plenty of clearance between the pressure plate fingers and the release bearing to allow for clutch wear.

All that said, I'd rather have the hydraulic unit anyway.
bw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
Ozzy2013

When we put it together i pushed the clutch in and turned the drive shaft in gear by hand.It is adjusted as tight as it can go the pedal moves 5 inches at least .The full range of the stock set up .If someone could please measure the range of motion on their clutch arm id be forever in their debt.Im going to check and make sure the arm is angled towards the motor when it first contacts the pressure plate fingers .I read that if its not you need an adjustable clutch arm pivot ball.It does not slip any at all even hot .Before i tear it down ill adjust the rod out some more its against the Pressure plate fingers now!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
Gregski
Post Whore

Ozzy what vehicle did you get the T-5 out of assuming you got it used? Was it from an S10 or a Mustang. I am just trying to learn more about this swap, thanks.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
That clutch was intended to use a hydraulic throwout bearing, not a mechanical one. It is likely that the way it is installed keeps the clutch from engaging completely. Adjust the linkage, if possible or replace the mechanical pedal with a hydraulic one and swap out the throwout bearing.
I have TKO-600s with original factory Z-bar linkage in both a B-Body and an F-Body without issues. Adjustment is important, of course. But I can assure you it works fine once set. Whether my experience with a TKO-600 applies to a T5 I don't know.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Lattimer

I have the TKO 600 in my truck, ran it for the last 18 months with the stock clutch linkage, stock bell housing, stock throwout bearing, and street slayer clutch. No issues as long as everything is adjusted right.

Sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging when hot, which is likely a problem with the clutch itself. Not the linkage or the trans.

Mine did a similar thing, not going into gear, except it was all the time (not just when hot), when the factory clutch linkage got too worn. The pivot rod from the pedal to the z-bar was badly worn at both ends. I welded it up and it was fine for a while, but the welded areas wore quickly. So with the wear the clutch was out of adjustment and I didn't have enough travel to fully disengage it.

2 weeks ago I built a new set of linkages with DOM tube and him joints. Works great now and so much smoother and tighter.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
Ozzy2013

Thanks for all of the answers im going to rebuild the linkage.