The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
sawyerrm

No limit frame opinions please

I am considering this truck

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...356008069.html

which features a "no limit frame". I saw something like this on the Velocity channel where the guys in SLC lifted a Belair and dropped it on a new frame. If I understand the process, you quickly get a new slightly lowered suspension, disc brakes, new front end etc.

Here's a link to the vendor

http://nolimitengineering.com/produc...32&id=26244635

I ask this question with some trepidation b/c I know there are members with strong philosophical feeling about keeping trucks unmolested and I hope this thread doesn't degenerate to an argument about that. I respect everyone and don't want to offend. I also know that robnolimit is a member in good standing and owns the company.

So my question is more practical, are there any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea? I am a new member to this forum so please don't flame me. I'm just trying to buy a truck for a daily driver which will be somewhat reliable, comfortable and fun.

Thanks,
Rob
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
YBNORML

Re: No limit frame opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerrm View Post

which features a "no limit frame". I saw something like this on the Velocity channel where the guys in SLC lifted a Belair and dropped it on a new frame. If I understand the process, you quickly get a new slightly lowered suspension, disc brakes, new front end etc.

I ask this question with some trepidation b/c I know there are members with strong philosophical feeling about keeping trucks unmolested and I hope this thread doesn't degenerate to an argument about that. I respect everyone and don't want to offend. I also know that robnolimit is a member in good standing and owns the company.

So my question is more practical, are there any reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea? I am a new member to this forum so please don't flame me. I'm just trying to buy a truck for a daily driver which will be somewhat reliable, comfortable and fun.

Thanks,
Rob

It's sad that you feel the need to put a disclaimer in with your question asking people to respect your build style. Shows where the board is heading, sadly.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with NoLimit as a supplier, they build a top notch product and from what I have seen here on the forum and other forums I belong to, Rob stands behind his product. So if his products will help you build the truck of your dreams, do it. That truck looks sweet.

The number one thing to do with a truck like that is to take it somewhere independent for a thorough inspection. An impartial opinion is very important on these trucks, I've seen even seasoned car guys look past the obvious when buying a vehicle just because it's what they want.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Lattimer

Quote:

Thanks,
Rob
I think a no limits chassis cost in the neighborhood of $15k for the whole thing. If that truck is really on one of Rob's setups, its a very good price for the truck.

The no limits chassis will make a truck handle like a late model Corvette. Look up some of the video's online, its awesome stuff.

Swapping a frame on these trucks is really no big deal, so not something that would scare me. Lot's of these trucks still out there, and nothing really makes them hugely valuable as an all-stock vehicle. It will never be a 1968 Corvette 4 speed, it will never be a Yenko Camaro, so modifying one is no sin. Stock is cool, mild mods are cool, crazy out of this world is cool. When its you're truck, do what YOU want.

All that being said, I don't see anything in the ad that states its a no limit chassis. The bed floor looks like it has been raised, which is required for a no limits, chassis, so thats a plus. I'd want to see under the truck in detail, then I'd go all over the thing with a magnet looking for bondo.

It looks like a nice truck, and with the custom chassis its worth the price. Otherwise, its just a nice truck, and no way worth $20k selling price. Just my $0.02.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I rode through the Road Rally course with Rob at the Des Moines, Iowa GoodGuys show and I can tell you he builds a he!! of a chassis, if that's what it has. He has many wins under his belt all over the country....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-28-2015 at 08:54 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I don't see anything in the ad that states its a no limit chassis. The bed floor looks like it has been raised, which is required for a no limits, chassis, so thats a plus.
The seller told me about the frame so it is odd that he didn't mention the best selling point in his ad. I am going to have CarzInspection do a third party inspection, I've used them before and they're pretty good. I'll also ask for documentation on the complete restoration, especially the new frame. Assuming all goes well, I'll fly down to LA and inspect the truck myself and hopefully drive it home.

Thanks for the great comments, you guys are great, keep 'em coming.

Rob
Old 12-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
'68 Newtricks

Where in LA? If it's in my commute I could snap some pictures.

And yeah, too bad I'm already waist deep into my own truck. If this was for sale 2 years ago I would have pulled the trigger. That is, if it is, what it is
Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #7
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 Newtricks View Post
Where in LA? If it's in my commute I could snap some pictures.
If you can take a look, I will compensate you for your time.

Here's the contact info:

2239 Pontius Ave, Los Angeles - CA - 90064

Tom Eisenberg
General Manager
West Coast Tire & Service
310 477 7057

The place has good yelp reviews, which is encouraging

http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-t...arch_key=69562

Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #8
'68 Newtricks

I hate when addresses say Los Angeles but they are no where near LA. That's Culver City, damn near Santa Monica. It's 15 miles for me going into LA, headed west. Culver City is another 15 miles west LMFAO.

Find out what their hours are THIS Saturday, if they are different than their listed 8am-3pm. I'll cruise over but only on the weekend. I'll never make it there in time during the week. I'll do it for a donation to Wounded Warrior Project. http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I'm only going to take some pictures of it and give you a first impression of it. I'm not over the moon about pulling carpet or invading another person's ride, especially when they know I'm not buying it. I don't have a problem laying on the ground and looking it over though that's just good hobby manners lol. If interested, give me a run down of what you'd like pics of.

Last edited by kcsa75; 12-29-2015 at 01:51 PM.
'68 Newtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:53 AM   #9
Lattimer

Quote:
The seller told me about the frame so it is odd that he didn't mention the best selling point in his ad. I am going to have CarzInspection do a third party inspection, I've used them before and they're pretty good. I'll also ask for documentation on the complete restoration, especially the new frame. Assuming all goes well, I'll fly down to LA and inspect the truck myself and hopefully drive it home.

Thanks for the great comments, you guys are great, keep 'em coming.

Rob
I'd want to get it on a lift and really look under it, or have somebody trusted who knows their stuff ON THESE TRUCKS do it for you.

The pics look like it sits higher than one of Rob's should. I'd be cautious!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:35 AM   #10
'68 Newtricks

Wish I could see the frame in the engine bay pics Odd how he left the in-cab gas tank. (purist but not really?) lol
Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 AM   #11
BCOWANWHEELS

Question, whats wrong with the stock frame ??????????????? Seems perfectly fine to me and i,ve hauled some super heavy loads in my work truck with 0 problems
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #12
BigMike

Quote:
I ask this question with some trepidation b/c I know there are members with strong philosophical feeling about keeping trucks unmolested and I hope this thread doesn't degenerate to an argument about that. I respect everyone and don't want to offend.
The Mods here keep a pretty tight ship, they don't tolerate any bashing. They know that everybody has their own opinions of what cool is and respect that. There are sometimes some unnecessary comments but they are quickly put in their place. It's your truck, you paid for it, so do with it what you please.

This is how I look at it - Even if you don't appreciate how a truck is modified (or not modified), at least appreciate the time & work that went into it.

Quote:
I'd want to get it on a lift and really look under it, or have somebody trusted who knows their stuff ON THESE TRUCKS do it for you.
100% agree with Lattimer. Maybe have the person doing the inspection take pictures of the frame if they are not familiar with No Limits products and send them to Rob (or someone who would know) to verify.

Quote:
The pics look like it sits higher than one of Rob's should. I'd be cautious!
Also agree with this, most No Limits chassis I've seen has been significantly lower than this truck. Possibly could have just used some No Limits parts and not the entire chassis.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #13
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
Question, whats wrong with the stock frame ??????????????? Seems perfectly fine to me and i,ve hauled some super heavy loads in my work truck with 0 problems
If you re-read what he said, he said the seller told him it comes on a No Limits chassis already and he was just asking questions about the No Limits frame.

When I first glanced at it I thought the same thing.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
Nothing wrong with a stock frame for 99.9% of trucks. The no limits chassis is used if you want to turn the truck into a race truck....literally.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 Newtricks View Post
Find out what their hours are THIS Saturday, if they are different than their listed 8am-3pm. I'll cruise over but only on the weekend. I'll never make it there in time during the week. I'll do it for a donation to Wounded Warrior Project. http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
I'll let them know that you're coming this Saturday and want restoration documentation; on the frame mods in particular. If they're not willing to put it on the lift for you, then that is a red flag IMO. I would look at the truck as if you were buying it yourself. This was originally a long bed so I'd like to confirm that it now has the correct dimensions of a short bed. I'm going to get a Gaylord cover for it, to hide my work stuff, so correct fit is important. Also, my garage is just over 16 feet. It looks like the dash has been cut to accommodate the new radio. Body fitment (sp?) is important too. Several years ago, I bought an El Camino w/o knowing what I was doing. Later I realized that it had been rear-ended when I found bondo on the rear fender and the tailgate gap was 1/2 inch different on one side.

In the meantime, I'll confirm their hours and let you know if there are any issues. Let's exchange phone numbers on PM so that I can call you if something changes at the last minute. Wounded Warrior Project is an awesome cause.

Thanks so much,
Rob
Old 01-01-2016, 02:07 AM   #16
sawyerrm

A couple of days ago I asked for documentation on what "no limit" frame components were used on the restoration - no response. What seller wouldn't mention a $9000+ component in their ad or provide pictures or receipts if asked about it.

So what's the next step, offer a lower price or just move on?

Regardless, thanks everyone for their feedback, especially 68 Newtricks for being willing to take a look.

Happy new year everyone

Rob
Old 01-01-2016, 02:11 AM   #17
'68 Newtricks

I say move on. If some crazy chance he sends you pics, post them up. If the interest is still there, I'll check it out. There is another member on the forums that I know personally who is closer than I, much closer. I can work it out with him too.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:12 AM   #18
YBNORML

Quote:
A couple of days ago I asked for documentation on what "no limit" frame components were used on the restoration - no response. What seller wouldn't mention a $9000+ component in their ad or provide pictures or receipts if asked about it.

Regardless, thanks everyone for their feedback, especially 68 Newtricks for being willing to take a look.

Happy new year everyone

Rob

If it was me ,

I wouldn't give the truck or its owner a second thought. Dodging questions and poor communication is never a good sign. There are lots and lots of these trucks out there. Don't settle.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:48 AM   #19
leddzepp

If it was originally a LWB truck, it probably has a shortened LWB frame with a No Limit sway bar added to it. If it had a No Limit chassis that would be mentioned right off the bat and the truck would be priced much higher. I would move on

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #20
67c10rustbuket

I'm guessing it has the No Limit short bed conversion rear frame rails. No way it has a full No Limit chassis at that price. That sure looks like original track width too... It would be a major selling point if it had a No Limit chassis.

Or a sway bar like Zepp said.. Lol

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #21
Lattimer

Quote:

Happy new year everyone

Rob
Move on and keep looking

Old 01-02-2016, 12:20 AM   #22
sawyerrm

Thanks guys, moving on . . . Will probably bug you with something in a few weeks.

Rob