The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
jakesblazer

2WD Blazer winter project!

Hey guys. My blazer is a 1972 2wd with the 250 l6 3speed manual. I got this truck for a project many years ago and never finished it due to a move and bla bla. When i got it the engine was rebuilt with new flat pistons bored .30 and bigger cam, headers. Was done by the PO so I don't have specifics. Was told it had a high speed rear end. It had a 4 barrel aluminum intake with a 2 barrel holly carb. This setup wasn't good. I'd why but it was pumping fuel into the crankcase. Probably a carb prob? I got a stock intake manifold and a monojet carb to try and bring it back to life. Took a pause in the project for a few months, when I came back I realized the spark I used to have is gone. I used a tester and had 12v at the coil on both sides.i used a Plug light and it said no light between coil and distributor. So I'm guessing coil is bad? Now I'm currently wating on a new hei distributor with coil inside type(should be here Thursday). I decided to start this thread to keep all my pics and questions and answers all in one place. I already got a lot of info about changing over to a hei distributor from this site. I'm sure I'll have more questions before I'm done. I will post a bunch of pics soon so we can see the whole deal!
jakesblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
jakesblazer

Re: 2WD Blazer winter project!

Pics sort of in order.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
jakesblazer

More
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
jakesblazer

The distributor came in a day early so I put it in last night. upon opening the new one it looked very large and I did not think it would fit. the old distributor was very close to the block and it is much smaller. Thankfully the new distributor has a longer arm raising it out of the way enabling it to clear.
I got my spark back! Also spsprayed a little starting fluid into the intake and she pops!

Next battle figuring out what to do for a carb.any advice?
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
doo142

Looking good, you'll be cruising come spring!!
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
jakesblazer

Thanks, I hope so!
Well I have here a reman Rochester monojet carburetor on a original intake manifold. I still have to time it and check the valves because it is backfiring through the carb and this shuts it down.. am I looking in the right place?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
RustyBucket

If you've got the rotor pointing at the post in the distributor cap for #1 cyl. on the compression stroke and the wires are on in the right order it'll probably run. Might have to move the distributor a little as it's turning on the starter. Have you got delivery on the accelerator pump in your new carburetor?
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
jakesblazer

Update time. I got the thing to fire up long enough to put a Timing light on it. The harmonic balancer mark was lighting up to the right side of the scale. I'm assuming 10° after tdc? I turned the distributor and it went to 0°. Idle smooth out and increased signifigantly. I used the key to turn it off.. good feeling..haha The balancer is spinning clockwise from left to right on the scale. So it should hit to the left of 0°correct? Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
jakesblazer

I want to play with the timing and tune the carb more but I have a new pressing issue. Something dropped between my grille and radiator and broke a fin..
it's brass so I am going to try to solder it..
Attached Images