The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #1
j.rigby15r

Need advice on upgrades. Brakes,suspension,bags???

So I have been mowing over what to do with a little extra cash I have from selling a motorcycle I built,I have about 2k to blow on my 64. At first I was just going to do a static drop with full disc all the way around from either performance on line, or CPP. I then thought about just doing front and upgrading some other components such as control arms, sway bars, or trailing arms Etc. Then the overwhelming desire to put my truck on the frame came to me and I started looking into bags. So I then started looking into doing a disc conversion in the front and putting a simple bag system on and cupping my LCA's. But then the thought came to me maybe just put in a nice bags suspension system and putting discs on later. So with all that thinking going on I am all thought out and don't know what I want to do. So this is were I need everyone's opinions (as I know everyone has one).

A. Full power disc with sway bars front and back.

B. Front power disc and updated control arms and trailing arms etc..

C. Front power disc and simple air kit with cupped lower control arm.

D. Nicer bag system and update the breaks later.

E. something I haven't thought of.

If I did C I would do one from way2lo2 or from EZ Air Ride. The truck is not show quality and will not be for quite some time. But I'd rather do it right the first time and not have to upgrade my system later.

Any advice would be great and links are helpful. Thanks as always this site rocks...............
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Need advice on upgrades. Breaks,suspension,baggs???

Well you said put the truck on the frame and that won't happen with the plans you have. If you ment just put it on air and get it way down it will work. First thing I would do is the brakes with the upgrade to power and disc in the front. Put on all new brake lines and get it 100%. Then I would get a paddle valve setup from Travis with all the plates, bags, shocks, notch, lines, long panhard bar, tank, compressor and associated hardware and see where you are with you budget. You still may need wheels and tires to work with the disc and the drop you will get from air. You may find your 2K runs out pretty quick.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
j.rigby15r

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Well you said put the truck on the frame and that won't happen with the plans you have. If you ment just put it on air and get it way down it will work. First thing I would do is the brakes with the upgrade to power and disc in the front. Put on all new brake lines and get it 100%. Then I would get a paddle valve setup from Travis with all the plates, bags, shocks, notch, lines, long panhard bar, tank, compressor and associated hardware and see where you are with you budget. You still may need wheels and tires to work with the disc and the drop you will get from air. You may find your 2K runs out pretty quick.
Jimmy
Fortunately for me I put new rubbers on my 20s so I'll be good there. And your right I won't be able to lay frame due to crossmember issues but this will hopefully get me a good start. I've been talking with Travis and he has definitely been helpful and understanding. Im simply exploring different options and gathering info.
Posted via Mobile Device
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
dubds10
Stalker Nate

$2g doesn't go far when talking about doing it right & an airbag setup. I wouldn't cheap out on the airbags either. In the same boat here, we'll be rebuilding our brake system first, 12" discs front & back as we're on 20/22s. Then if there's money left over, start on the full bag kit.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
PGSigns

The limiting factor with the 20's is the height of the tire. With the 20" wheels on my 65 the top of the fenders sat on the tires so the sheet metal was holding the truck up. I did not like the idea and went to a 15" smoothy wheel and a smaller height tire. Now the cross member sits on the ground and the tires are not hitting the inner fenders. I could see the sheet metal move when it landed on the tires. The truck also sets a good bit lower when aired out.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote