The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
hellbent72

carbed ls intake and ignition box preferace

When I first looked into carbed ls conversions the only option was the edelbrock intake and msd controller. The more I read it seems the msd box has to much timing. What is the hot ticket now?
hellbent72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: carbed ls intake and ignition box preferace

I saw the same read, but opted for the Edel intake /controller/1406 carb. On my stock 5.3, I don't see the issue? The old truck runs good, & will 'lite off" quicker than my 02 fuelie (warm)! On a carbureted setup, I would stick with a dual plane intake....especially on the street, for the low/mid performance. The Edelbrock controller is made by MSD.....however the MSD version of the controller has the option to be adjusted on a lap top. The LS is new to me, so I bring your thread TTT....& would like to hear more thoughts myself Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:23 AM   #3
67chevy1series

The MSD ignition controller only has "too much timing" if you make it that way. You can choose between 6 different timing curves to better suit your application and if that doesn't do it for you, the box comes with a cord to plug a computer into the MSD ignition controller as well as a disc which will allow you to download their pro data software on your PC and with instructions provided (as well as a video up on you tube) you can plot your own timing curve and save it to a file as well as the controller, you can also run a two step rev limiter or a step retard for boost. You can also buy a harness to run the PN 6010 6LS ignition controller into a OEM Fuel injected LS and it will only alter the timing curve.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
homemade87

I have the 6010 msd box on a 6.0 . And it works great . I do use the lap top to tune with . In my opinion the pills are not the way to go .Thats like calling you neighbor up and asking what there tune is and using it. Every engine is different and will need to be fine tuned . The pills are fine for first start up and then throw them away . I would also encourage you to use the map sensor .

You can do the same exact thing as the dist setup . Just in a different way . Set base timing with lap top . The vac advance on the dist is replaced with a map sensor ( does the exact same thing ) . You can also monitor real time info while driving , timing at cruise , timing at wot , total timing at cruise with map advance , monitor when vac advance kick in or out and adjust . Also can adjust the timing at different rpms . Let just say you want a little more timing at idle to clean it up but dont need that extra timing up top and keep your vacuum advance the same in the higher rpm range .

In the end you can set your timing any way you want . The pills you cant . The msd has all you will need , just take the time to learn it .

Last edited by homemade87; 01-24-2016 at 10:15 AM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
dec010974

homemade87, where were you when my LSx, c10 was carbureted? I went back to FI and called a professional to dial in my tune, which was exotic (LQ4, .030 over, Flat top Pistons, milled & ported 317 heads, .600 lift cam with 112 centerline). I felt the carbed version just didn't run right. But I didn't take much time to learn either. I wanted to pay someone to get right for me. I also didn't know much about carbs either. Homagemade87 is correct, take the time to learn and get it right. Clark.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
homemade87

I have a fuel injected motor and a carbed motor . I love them both . You can make a carbed motor run just a efficient as fuel injected . Its just that you will have to adjust fuel at the carb instead at the ecm . A air fuel gauge is a must for a carb to get it dialed in . Once you get that close you can start to work on the timing to get it fined tuned . If you are one to take the time you will be amazed how good it will run .

I do believe my carb motor has more power . It took me about a week to really get the feel of the msd box with some off and on reading and experimenting . Once I got the feel and started to realize I was doing the same thing as the old school set up but in a different way with more information and more adjustments in between with real time data it all came together .

I also have hp tuners for the fi tuning . Don't even think they are the same in complexity . Hp tuners is a totally different ball game .
Old 01-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Don't even think they are the same in complexity . Hp tuners is a totally different ball game .
I think this is more about the paradigm you come from, and what your "default" methods are.

Me personally, I grew up in the early-FI days...working with TBI and the sort (you can't really tune it, and its not really much better than carb haha). With carbs I can only get as far as old single/dual carb motorcycles...and even then I've managed to botch carb sync'ing. Put me in front of a 3-duece and I'll just stare at it (though I can fab quite a nice bracket for them).

But, stick me in front of HPt, and I can get WAY farther. The things that make HPt daunting (its size, all the options), are the things that I like about it....whereas I feel like I hit a dead end with carbs after 5 minutes.

HPt doesn't seem as crazy when you start looking at eControls and BS3.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
homemade87

I agree , I did come up in the carb days so I think most should know how to do it . I am in the same boat as you but with the FI . It is a little slower to come to me but working thru it . I can work with hp tuners but it does take me a while to be sure of what I am doing . I still have to rely on a professional tuner for my major hp engines . But if I am at that point I am at a dyno anyway with a tuner and picking up some knowledge along the way .

I have had hp tuners for about a year now and am learning slowly . As you said for some of us in the carb days it is more of a challenge . But I am still plugging away at it and am not going to let it beat me . As I had said about the msd box , take the time to learn it and you will be rewarded .
Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
But if I am at that point I am at a dyno anyway with a tuner and picking up some knowledge along the way .
Ya thats a huge part of it for me as well. I'm lucky enough to be hooked up with some top-tier pro's, who allow me to watch over their shoulders on stuff thats out of my reach. Its hard to put a price on a pro (in any industry) handing over stuff they had to learn the hard way.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote