The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Sklptrljay

Has anyone mounted a long bed onto a longhorn frame

I searched, but came up empty.

I have a trailer made with a longhorn frame. I found a copper long bed that matches my truck. I took measurements and, not surprisingly, the mounts are different.

Not an issue for me to make it work necessarily, but if anyone has done this before and has any insights that might make this easier, I'd appreciate it.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: Has anyone mounted a long bed onto a longhorn frame

The long horn bed just has the added section to the front of a standard long bed
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
The long horn bed just has the added section to the front of a standard long bed
I found that the mounting locations are very different. I made a diagram to locate the new holes I need. I'll post it later after some sleepy.....been up all night at work.

Zzzzzzz.......

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Old 03-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Sklptrljay

Just to follow up on this in case anyone else ever tries this. I might be the only one ever to do it, but hey, you never know!

Turns out it can be done fairly easily.

1) Use the two bolt holes closest to the tailgate in the normal position. This will line up your bumper and start you off in the right place.

2) The second set of holes will be on the frame rails. After your bed is squared up, just drill new holes in the frame where the existing holes in the bed are. (I did this set last)

3) The third set is the trickiest. What I did, was drill new holes in the bed over the supports on the frame. These are about a foot closer to the front of the bed and in line with the last set of bolts.

4) On the last set you'll have the frame supports beyond the bed, where the additional 6" of the Longhorn bed would have been. Grind out the rivets. I found that if I rotated the supports 180`using the original rear rivet hole as its pivot point, it lined up perfectly with the last set of bed bolt holes.