The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
62chevy302
hillbilly

lsx header and ac engine mounts

I am gathering parts to install a lq4 into my 63-66 frame.
I would like to know which mounts I need to purchase so I can headers(probably Doug Thorley) and low mount ac compressor. I have searched and can not find anything.
I have factory engine stands and 73-87 stands that came on my crossmember.

neither are bolted up so I could use either just the same. I also don't have a trans crossmember to line up because im swapping to a nv3500 5 speed.

is their a mount that will work for both concerns and have firewall clearance?

thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
ptc

Re: lsx header and ac engine mounts

These mounts are really nice, I just bought a set to cusom fit to my build. But they are made for an LS install. Should make it pretty easy for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS3-...3D252248544519
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
68c10airstream

My choice in mounts is not the norm but these were my reasons for doing what I did

Late model mounts for smoothness, safety, and quality.

Mount the engine as low and rearward as possible to accommodate better handling, better factory ls ac mounting, more room at firewall.

Dirty dingo mounts seem to raise the engine up higher than what I wanted.

I used "F" body oil pan because it's the thinnest up front (above the crossmember)

I sourced trailblazer ss AC parts because I wanted the suction and discharge lines running front to rear instead of side to side and didn't want to notch my frame for a ac line. Some have worked around this issue.

I put a 5.3 in my 68 c10 with sanderson tight tuck headers (68-72 nova ls application) and used the factory organ donor ls mounts and made my own motor mount bracket to bolt to the crossmember. I did this all about 6 years ago.

Reservations?? None, I would retrace my steps again but would probably source maybe Camaro or corvette mounts that look like biscuits, down low and tucked in, would probably sit on top of the crossmember with a minimum bracket needing to be made.

I notice many ls headers rubbing on the factory engine perches that attach on top of the frame rail. I removed those when I did my own mounts.

Dirty dingo mounts and a few others have to be modified to use the gm ls ac compressor, mine doesn't because it was not a problem when in it's stock configuration.

To be honest my ac isn't completed yet because of major house repairs but I have mocked mine up and all is good. Special fabricated evap box and I should be good to go.

I stuck with factory ac because I like the blower motor on the outside of the firewall pulling in fresh air. Some aftermarket ac systems pull under dash stale air and the blower motor is inside the cabin. They work very good but I favor Harrison ac systems. As my auto teacher told me " if it's good enough to go in a rolls Royce it's good enough for me".

I've ranted enough as a few probably are not crazy about what I have posted, but after 30 plus years as a ase mechanic I like factory stuff, hard to beat a room full of factory engineers . This is in my mind why the ls is such a fantastic platform.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
62chevy302
hillbilly

I was looking at the factory mounts,but I didn't know how they would line upon the crossmember. After searching through a lot of build threads I found someone using early classic mounts with low ac mount,truck oil pan,and doug Thorley headers.i may go that route I think it moves the engine 1 inch forward. I think that will work best for me.

is their anybody out there using ece mounts,low ac, and headers?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
ssmonte18

Check out hooker, they have just come out with a kit that includes motor mounts, trans cross member and headers. I got it all and it fit and works great.
ssmonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #6
62chevy302
hillbilly

Are you using low mount ac and truck oil pan?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
ssmonte18

Sorry, no ac here and an F body oil pan. I have tons of room though. Hooker motor mounts move the motor forward 1.5" and up .5" if I remember correctly.

Check this out...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...m-preview.html
ssmonte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
slotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
My choice in mounts is not the norm but these were my reasons for doing what I did

Late model mounts for smoothness, safety, and quality.

Mount the engine as low and rearward as possible to accommodate better handling, better factory ls ac mounting, more room at firewall.

Dirty dingo mounts seem to raise the engine up higher than what I wanted.

I used "F" body oil pan because it's the thinnest up front (above the crossmember)

I sourced trailblazer ss AC parts because I wanted the suction and discharge lines running front to rear instead of side to side and didn't want to notch my frame for a ac line. Some have worked around this issue.

I put a 5.3 in my 68 c10 with sanderson tight tuck headers (68-72 nova ls application) and used the factory organ donor ls mounts and made my own motor mount bracket to bolt to the crossmember. I did this all about 6 years ago.

Reservations?? None, I would retrace my steps again but would probably source maybe Camaro or corvette mounts that look like biscuits, down low and tucked in, would probably sit on top of the crossmember with a minimum bracket needing to be made.

I notice many ls headers rubbing on the factory engine perches that attach on top of the frame rail. I removed those when I did my own mounts.

Dirty dingo mounts and a few others have to be modified to use the gm ls ac compressor, mine doesn't because it was not a problem when in it's stock configuration.

To be honest my ac isn't completed yet because of major house repairs but I have mocked mine up and all is good. Special fabricated evap box and I should be good to go.

I stuck with factory ac because I like the blower motor on the outside of the firewall pulling in fresh air. Some aftermarket ac systems pull under dash stale air and the blower motor is inside the cabin. They work very good but I favor Harrison ac systems. As my auto teacher told me " if it's good enough to go in a rolls Royce it's good enough for me".

I've ranted enough as a few probably are not crazy about what I have posted, but after 30 plus years as a ase mechanic I like factory stuff, hard to beat a room full of factory engineers . This is in my mind why the ls is such a fantastic platform.
So your mount is lower than Dirty Dingo, fairly far back, and AC fits? Could you post some pictures?

Tejas Steelworks on FB was claiming that pushing it up/forward doesn't hurt handling at all because the iron block LS is 160lb lighter than an SBC every little bit matters, doesn't mean you'll notice on a street truck
Old 03-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
izzy_Britton

I purchased the aluminum 4 position mount adapters

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/npUAAO...vG/s-l1600.jpg

Like these but not these, just a non branded set.

anyways the stupid AC compressor mount hits the engine mount.

With the type of engine mount that PTC mentioned in post 2, does it clear the AC mount and everything else?

I am installing into an 86 so my application is only slightly different. my concern is that i would like to use factory AC, maybe not today, but i want the option available without expecting to change my engine mounts in the near future in order to do so.

thanks in advance. apologies on the hi-jack.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote