The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
crakarjax

Replace rear shock crossmember?

I'm installing c-notches right now and removed the shock crossmember to make it easier to work in the area. I'm debating whether to use it (it's in great condition) or install something tubular. I'm moving the shocks so I don't care about mounting them to this crossmember, but I'm also mounting bags to the frame and the bag fittings will be run through a hole in the frame, so clearance for that is a concern.
  • How do tubular crossmembers compare in rigidity to the stock crossmember?
  • I've seen universal tubular crossmembers (trim to find and weld-on ends) -- has anyone placed these in a non-stock location and is there any benefit to doing so?
  • Any specific product recommendations?
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
crakarjax

Re: Replace rear shock crossmember?

Any thoughts? As I've researched this, I see people (including Hotchkis) adding gussets to the top of the stock shock crossmember. I'm kinda leaning toward reinstalling it now since the c-notch doesn't want to line up quite right without the added thickness below the frame, but since I have the C-20 frame stiffeners I'll need longer bolts to do the install and am still not sure how the airbag install would turn out.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
Ironangel

If the air bag kit was designed for 67-72 frames, the stock crossmember shouldnt be in the way of anything...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
If the air bag kit was designed for 67-72 frames, the stock crossmember shouldnt be in the way of anything...
It's not a kit, just some bags and 90* fittings... I'm not using upper cups like I've seen elsewhere, so the fitting will be poking through the frame and x-member support.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #5
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
It's not a kit, just some bags and 90* fittings... I'm not using upper cups like I've seen elsewhere, so the fitting will be poking through the frame and x-member support.
I see...If your relocating your shocks then a tubular aftermarket or modified stock crossmember should be ok as long as a gusset is used to support the tube connection from the either upper or lower (depending where you locate the tube x-member) "C" portion of the frame rail. Most c-notched trucks will never see loads and frame twisting stresses that constitute full blown frame rail integrity...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Replace rear shock crossmember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Any thoughts? As I've researched this, I see people (including Hotchkis) adding gussets to the top of the stock shock crossmember. I'm kinda leaning toward reinstalling it now since the c-notch doesn't want to line up quite right without the added thickness below the frame, but since I have the C-20 frame stiffeners I'll need longer bolts to do the install and am still not sure how the airbag install would turn out.

Look at the 'NO LIMIT" shock relocator kit. It is a nice kit and helps with rear body roll as well since they are mounted outside the frame rails. A good fab person could easly do this them selves. The link is to the kit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477839

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Look at the 'NO LIMIT" shock relocator kit. It is a nice kit and helps with rear body roll as well since they are mounted outside the frame rails. A good fab person could easly do this them selves. The link is to the kit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477839
I am planning to relocate my shocks, I'm just going to mount them on the frame rails. I really just need to figure out what to do with the shock crossmember since I don't have shocks mounted to it anymore.

Anyone know the stiffness of the stock x-member vs a tubular replacement by chance?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Replace rear shock crossmember?

Just leave it off. all it is is a mounting bracket for the shocks it doesn't add anything to the frame.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
crakarjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Just leave it off. all it is is a mounting bracket for the shocks it doesn't add anything to the frame.
Well I'm sure it adds some stiffness, and I've seen others use it to tie in cross bracing -- I'll attach some pics if I can find them.

attached

Now, I'm thinking maybe I can chuck that crossmember and use a welder series sway bar as pictured, but going through the frame while adding some boxing in the area as well. Then I can also tie in some diagonal tubing between the sway bar outer tube and the frame, similar to the pictured cross-bracing.

You can see more details in the guy's build thread here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=534956

But his panhard bar placement is suspect so I'm not sure if the placement of his bracing is optimal.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Replace rear shock crossmember?

If your going to use it to brace off of then yes it will be very strong. It will add more strength as you add more bracing but in the normal use it's not much bracing at all other than for the shocks. That's all I was trying to say before.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club