The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
TunO

62 Panel on 67-72 Porter Built Chassis?

Saw an add for a 67-72 Porter Built Chassis with air ride on CL and it got me thinking. Would this work for a frame swap with a 62 panel body?. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
TunO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 62 Panel on 67-72 Porter Built Chassis?

If it is a short wheelbase chassis, the wheelbase will be correct. Basically it will work, but you will have to fabricate the body mounts. Mainly due to the fact that the '60-'62 frames are wider from the front suspension back. A Panel is going to have different body mounting points than a pickup anyway. Plus the '67-'72 front frame horns are different shaped for the different bumper. Also, before jumping into something like a complete frame swap, check with your local DMV and find out what is needed to make a complete frame swap legal. You will have a body with a different VIN than the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunO View Post
Saw an add for a 67-72 Porter Built Chassis with air ride on CL and it got me thinking. Would this work for a frame swap with a 62 panel body?. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 AM   #3
spacedebris

as someone from CA too, I can attest to what CaptainFab says. check with DMV first. If you get someone that says it is OK, get their name and if possible get it in writing.

I have a 60 panel and the only vin anywhere on the truck is on the frame. As such I went to the Ref to ask if I could get an official vin for the door or dash so I could swap to a 4x4 frame. First Ref told me no. I then talked to a local hot rod shop that told me that the ref was wrong, that they have done exactly that in the past. So I went back and another Ref was there and said that no problem. So I sourced a 4x4 frame that would work and then went back to the ref to get the vin tag started. I was then told that they wont do that. I asked "how about if I just make my own and attach to the door jam?" Was again told no. I said that the previous ref told me it was possible and they just laughed at me. I went to another ref and was again told that I could but it would have to be done at the main DMV office in the county. When I went to the DMV they had no clue as to what I was talking about.

This has been going on for 6 months now and I'm no closer to getting approval.

Part of the problem however is that in my case the 60 body has no vin and the truck I bought for the frame has no vin on the frame. So once combined, I'd have no vin on either. In my case both pieces that have the vin are the parts I dont want to use LOL.

So do all paperwork and such FIRST before purchasing or moving forward with the build.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Doesn't Ca have a state motor vehicle investigator? We do here in Idaho. Once you get them involved, you will have to show purchase receipts for every major component used in your car or truck. Body, frame engine, trans, differential(s), etc. Of course you will also have to pay sales tax on those components if you have not already. If you do not have those receipts, it turns into a big can of worms. I have heard stories of cars and trucks being crushed if the state investigator doesn't like they're being told and presented with. So IMO it is best to avoid that scenario if at all possible. That is one of the reasons I most always advise against a frame swap if at all possible. But if you must, be sure to have all your ducks in a row.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #5
padresag

we did have those regs here in the FAQ section, but the regime that pushed Woog out of it removed all that stuff.
also with that porter chassis you would have to add rear extesions to the frame as 4 body mounting points go through that section and your rear bumper mounting
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
spacedebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Doesn't Ca have a state motor vehicle investigator?
Sort of, we have a Referee and the CHP. The Ref makes decisions on what we can do when doing "questionable" modifications. Typically regarding smog restrictions but they do get involved in other situations. If they approve your request then the CHP has a dept that will "investigate".

Before I bought my panel, it had to have a Ref look at it (due to no vin on body) and then an investigation by the CHP on the Vin on the frame to make sure it was legal. I lucked out. The investigator didnt do a very thorough job. When they investigated they simply found out that the Vin was for a 1960 Chevy and stopped. They did not break the vin down. I have a 1960 C30 Panel (carryall) but if you break down my vin it is for a 1960 C10 Fleetside pickup. Someone swapped frames sometime in the past but luckily the CHP and Ref didnt dig beyond verifying that it was not stolen, just out of the DMV system and reissued a title with the new Vin.

I dont want to push my luck by letting them know their mistake and that is why I have to tiptoe around the Vin issue when requesting moving it to the body for another frame. It likely will not be as big an issue for TunO as it is for me but the Ref's here in S. CA have a rep for being a bit on the incompetent side. Hence why I recommend getting names and in writing if possible.

Sorry TunO, didnt mean to hijack the thread. I just decided to go into detail as other readers may be searching to similar info here in CA.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:17 AM   #7
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
as someone from CA too, I can attest to what CaptainFab says. check with DMV first. If you get someone that says it is OK, get their name and if possible get it in writing.

I have a 60 panel and the only vin anywhere on the truck is on the frame. As such I went to the Ref to ask if I could get an official vin for the door or dash so I could swap to a 4x4 frame. First Ref told me no. I then talked to a local hot rod shop that told me that the ref was wrong, that they have done exactly that in the past. So I went back and another Ref was there and said that no problem. So I sourced a 4x4 frame that would work and then went back to the ref to get the vin tag started. I was then told that they wont do that. I asked "how about if I just make my own and attach to the door jam?" Was again told no. I said that the previous ref told me it was possible and they just laughed at me. I went to another ref and was again told that I could but it would have to be done at the main DMV office in the county. When I went to the DMV they had no clue as to what I was talking about.

This has been going on for 6 months now and I'm no closer to getting approval.

Part of the problem however is that in my case the 60 body has no vin and the truck I bought for the frame has no vin on the frame. So once combined, I'd have no vin on either. In my case both pieces that have the vin are the parts I dont want to use LOL.

So do all paperwork and such FIRST before purchasing or moving forward with the build.
don't you mean that you are going to convert it to a 4 x 4 frame. it would not be easy to find a 133" wb 4 x 4 frame that would be compatible to go under it easily

ron
Old 03-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
spacedebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
don't you mean that you are going to convert it to a 4 x 4 frame. it would not be easy to find a 133" wb 4 x 4 frame that would be compatible to go under it easily

ron
yes eventually but someone already swapped frames. I want to swap again. Hence all my problems. Previous swap was not caught by the inspector hence the c10 frame under my c30. I've already found several 4x4 frames with close the right wheelbase, at least close enough that we can make them work. Chevy Avalance has a 130 for example. None that I can do a straight swap with but some that are close enough to not need too much work. And since I am lifting the truck differences in the height of the frame in the rear can be handled with small body lift and custom body mounts. Yeah, I know I'm opening a can of worms but it may all be moot if I cannot get the damn Ref to allow me to transfer the Vin from frame to body. Next time, I think I'm gonna try leaving the inspection report behind (I forgot to bring it LOL) and see if I tell them I have the vin on the pink but it was "removed" from the door and see if they will reissue a door jam vin for me. Otherwise I may just have to scrap the 4x4 plans and just go with what I have. I may just have to build this one as a 4x2 and get a factory 4x4 later. Granted I dont think they ever made a k30 in 1960 but I may just have to setter for a shorter K10. But I have time and time will tell.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #9
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
yes eventually but someone already swapped frames. I want to swap again. Hence all my problems. Previous swap was not caught by the inspector hence the c10 frame under my c30. I've already found several 4x4 frames with close the right wheelbase, at least close enough that we can make them work. Chevy Avalance has a 130 for example. None that I can do a straight swap with but some that are close enough to not need too much work. And since I am lifting the truck differences in the height of the frame in the rear can be handled with small body lift and custom body mounts. Yeah, I know I'm opening a can of worms but it may all be moot if I cannot get the damn Ref to allow me to transfer the Vin from frame to body. Next time, I think I'm gonna try leaving the inspection report behind (I forgot to bring it LOL) and see if I tell them I have the vin on the pink but it was "removed" from the door and see if they will reissue a door jam vin for me. Otherwise I may just have to scrap the 4x4 plans and just go with what I have. I may just have to build this one as a 4x2 and get a factory 4x4 later. Granted I dont think they ever made a k30 in 1960 but I may just have to setter for a shorter K10. But I have time and time will tell.
I don't know whether they labeled them as a K30 or kept them as a C30. the 30 series was a Napco conversion. so it would have been built I presume as a C30. I had a 66 ambulance that had a 145" w/base that went to the coach builders as a c1405. they modified everything there inc stretching the frame. maybe tonight I will send you a pm
ron
Old 03-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #10
padresag

found this thread again from an old friend of most who use to be here.
http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...olbox&g=SEMAGA
It has been a few years since those were posted... so double check with your state agency website that deals with the tags and vehicle safety.

you can also look up anything that has been changed... most if not all states have their consitutions and code book of laws online in a searchable form. Most of them have a specific section for all things dealing with automobiles.

ron

Last edited by padresag; 03-27-2016 at 12:55 PM.