The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Mr Handy

New 350 ovehearing... or is it?

I finally did it, I got my Jegs $1300 350 installed in front of a Muncie 465 and all the stuff that goes along with swapping from a turbo 350 and cobbled together 283 that burns a quart every 500 miles or so.

I swapped the cam for a summit 1102 cam before putting in the engine for no other reason than I wanted to. I am also running stock ram horns and a Street demon carb.

Everything went as planned... spent 4 hours fighting engine and trans mounts, then that last bolt for the Power steering bracket for 3 nights during the week... note to self, just unbolt the perches and use an alignment pin to get them back in.

break in went fine other than the gauge was reading right at the hot mark. Did the full 20 min break in varying rpm between 1200 and 2500 rpm after setting the timing to 10* BTDC. the engine never got hot enough to want to stumble or ping like I would expect if it was as hot as the gauge was reading. so after an inaugural drive up to the parts store 3 miles away for a fuse for the backup lights I decided to swap the thermostat for a different one. I always run 160* stats so I expect the gauge to read a little under straight up. tested the stat in a pan of water on the stove and it opened like clockwork.

Today after a weekend of cleaning the garage I decided to take it for its first longish drive as it never got hot enough to puke or tried to die and I could always put my hand on the rad hose and not burn myself. So I went for 20 mile drive and the gauge never quite got to the hot mark even when sitting at lights, until I got around the corner from the house. pulled in the driveway and sat for a couple minuets and I see red line, so I shut it down and go inside and find my point and shoot thermometer and scavenge a good 9v from my moisture meter (woodworker by day) the thermostat housing read 176* and the head at the temp sensor read 180*... I don't the temp sensor is working correctly.

Other than that the new engine and trans are awesome! there is something so satisfying about shifting gears...

Ok here are some pictures of the engine/temp and my clean garage!
Every loves pics.
Attached Images

Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Mr Handy

Re: New 350 ovehearing... or is it?

I also picked up a new side cabinet today for my tool box and made a air tool rack for all my air tools yesterday from a piece of aluminum angle...
the best thing, I now have 3 hammer drawers! life is good.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
geezer#99

Looks nice!!
Two breathers!
Is one a pcv?
Just imagine how well it will run with 14 initial instead of 10.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
Mr Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Looks nice!!
Two breathers!
Is one a pcv?
Just imagine how well it will run with 14 initial instead of 10.
Yes the breather on the passenger side is a PCV. When it clicks, it is loud. I thought something was wrong at first.
I plan to play with the timing a little once I get the temp sensor fixed and reading correctly. I am betting I can run 12* initial without much issue on 87. I might have to play with the curve to get it to run 14* initial and not ping. the 283 with 305 heads I pulled out liked 8*
I also have a Wideband O2 sensor I am going to hook up and get the carb really dialed in.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
geezer#99

I'm betting you can run 16 with no problem.
I run 14 in my stock as a rock 305 at sea level.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote