The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
Clavo106

used bed side removel?

Bedside removel
Attached Images

Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Clavo106

Re: used bed side removel?

Ok been fighting this beast all morning. This my first attempt at separating panels. Not sure if I been full hit all the spot welds. I been running a putty knife with a hammer and believe I got all the spot welds from the lower bed lip.(.in pic) and remove the bolts from the inner splash Shield tub and this boy still doesn't what to come up? Ahhh. Any help.... -- also #2 I convert to a short bed and this bed will be cut down.. in should I replace the hole panel or should I cut it out like in the frist pic and weld it.. . Its just that the one on the bed has cleaner bed rails but had lots of bond and a jack up tailinghouse witch will be cut as well.. I wouldn't have to do much to get my gaps to line up."so I think". my frist swap and hoping for the best..
Old 03-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
snipescastle2

Talking Re: used bed side removel?

Wasn't sure if you were un-bolting the entire bedside or removing just the skin.
I know there are two stitch welds at the rear of the bedside where the bed floor and bedside bolt together. Where the wheel house bolts to the bedside and bed floor,they may have applied seam sealer, that will make separating those pieces difficult.you might be able to use a small propane torch to soften up the joints while you use a putty knife to separate the two panels.
Both,
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Clavo106

Ok guys. I'm not joking around if i dont get a answer in one hr I'm "GOING TO DO IT DON'T"
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Clavo106

Im trying to get the skin out.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Clavo106

Ok guys. I'm not joking around if i dont get a answer in one hr I'm "GOING TO DO IT DON'T"
Old 03-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
hugger6933

There are a couple of welds in the wheel house where the inner skin and outer skin are welded. On a couple of the bedsides I've split[4] they looked like welds from a first attempt at welding by a jittery 7 year old. No offense meant to 7 year olds.
In other news STECK makes a product called the seam buster I highly recommend for busting the seams where they are welded. I put off buying them and for a year or two every time I would split a panel, I would think to myself I wish I had those I bet they are great. I bought them both, the 90 degree and the straight one and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They are def money well spent [Around $30 bucks I think]. Steck says they will save you an average of 15 min per panel but on a job like splitting bedsides I'd say 30 min per side. Jim
Oh and on the spot welds I found best is a double sided 1/8 inch bit then a step drill bit. Put it in the hole done by the 1/8 incher then the step and count to 6 and they will pop lose if you were in the center.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
There are a couple of welds in the wheel house where the inner skin and outer skin are welded. On a couple of the bedsides I've split[4] they looked like welds from a first attempt at welding by a jittery 7 year old. No offense meant to 7 year olds.
In other news STECK makes a product called the seam buster I highly recommend for busting the seams where they are welded. I put off buying them and for a year or two every time I would split a panel, I would think to myself I wish I had those I bet they are great. I bought them both, the 90 degree and the straight one and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They are def money well spent [Around $30 bucks I think]. Steck says they will save you an average of 15 min per panel but on a job like splitting bedsides I'd say 30 min per side. Jim
Oh and on the spot welds I found best is a double sided 1/8 inch bit then a step drill bit. Put it in the hole done by the 1/8 incher then the step and count to 6 and they will pop lose if you were in the center.
In all farNess I read this after the dirty deed.. .. man this was really kill my Sunday Easter..Man.... well I used my other two beds that I had laying around as a guide. Did c the welds by a 7 yr old cut those off did the spot welds by the head rack ..BUT WAS STILL getting caught on the lip so I think. Is there spot welds on the top of the rack on the stake pockets? And still also get caught on the tail light house ing is the spot welds in side connecting to the rear stake support?.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
Clavo106

The panel
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
snipescastle2

Talking Re: used bed side removel?

I know the assembly manual shows the spot welds for many of the cab components, but I don't recall seeing spot weld locations on the bedsides except where the bedside attaches to the bed floor near the tail gate
Don't know if there are any drawings for the bed sheet metal out there.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I know the assembly manual shows the spot welds for many of the cab components, but I don't recall seeing spot weld locations on the bedsides except where the bedside attaches to the bed floor near the tail gate
Don't know if there are any drawings for the bed sheet metal out there.
Ben
Thank you! Does any one have a pdf or a cut out of spot weld locations? That would be a major help! This was a really pain... i was 5hrs into this all done. I guess we can't win them all..
Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Pics of where the spot welds generally are in this thread... you were close... you didn't get the ones by the taillight:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556743
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #13
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Pics of where the spot welds generally are in this thread... you were close... you didn't get the ones by the taillight:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556743
Thank you very much this is definitely going to help me out!!!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
hugger6933

Most of them can be seen except the ones running down the back by the tail lamp. I had to grind back the paint with a 36 grit disc on the 5 inch high speed grinder[what i use to knock off paint before filler work]
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote