The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
General23cmp

631 RPO code, 72 Chevy

On glovebox door. Says "Olive Vinyl Custom Trim". What is this? Truck is a 72 Cheyenne, or I'd think it meant the "custom" package trim, which would be a downgrade from Cheyenne. Help...
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 631 RPO code, 72 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by General23cmp View Post
On glovebox door. Says "Olive Vinyl Custom Trim". What is this? Truck is a 72 Cheyenne, or I'd think it meant the "custom" package trim, which would be a downgrade from Cheyenne. Help...
It's worded correctly for a Cheyenne and would look like the 1st image below, except in Olive. "Truck" Trim levels are, in order of increasing precedence (and the "Interior" trim wording, unless buckets) would be as shown at right (sample SPIDS of various colors below in same order):

Custom - "Color" Vinyl Trim
Custom Deluxe - "Color" Cloth Trim (or, sometimes, just "Color" Trim
Cheyenne - "Color" Vinyl Custom Trim
Cheyenne Super - "Color" Custom Cloth (i.e. houndstooth) (although there are variations on how this one was worded - have seen several ways on different SPIDs) (in Parchment, olive, or Blue ONLY) And check this last one out... It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown, orange with olive houndstooth!
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 04-05-2016 at 11:21 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
jocko

And here are some of the various ways I've seen the Cheyenne Super interior trim listed, although I think "Color" Custom Cloth Trim is the most common.

"Color" Trim
"Color" Cloth Custom Trim
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
General23cmp

Thanks! With black exterior and metal in the interior, what options were possible on soft part interior colors? Those olive door panels, carpet, and olive houndstooth seat would look good against black paint I think. Same could be said for blue or red soft parts.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
jocko

I believe your options for a Cheyenne vinyls would have been (regardless of exterior color): Olive, Parchment, Saddle, Blue, Black
yes, olive, blue, and saddle interiors look great in a black truck (black/olive one of my FAVORITES):

(note that red was not an option in 71/72 and there's no such thing as black vinyl with houndstooth (originally) - or saddle, etc. But they can be custom made and some look great (i.e. saddle houndstooth is a great interior choice in, for instance, a saddle poly 70... )
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 04-05-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
SS Tim

A couple of things to note.
Cheyenne trim was a vinyl only, no cloth, bench or bucket.
Houndstooth was offered only on the bench Cheyenne Supers in limited colors (as Jocko mentioned) Parchment, Olive and Blue.

Are you trying to go stock, year and model correct? Or is a case of mix and match colors and trims?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
General23cmp

Just curious really. The truck was originally dark olive with a medium olive top. It needs paint and will not be original (too much stuff missing). I've always liked black, but the olive green interior looks nice it it.