The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Selling your Ride.Rules on getting the bang for your Buck

Now on the newbie.You have a lot of problems.But there are some really nice guys in this hobby that will help you stay out of the pitfalls of buying the wrong truck.

There are 1-6 category's most new buys fit in.

We all want a grate looking truck no doubt.But there are things now days we don't want.The major one is Cancer holes in any of the body or no Floor.

Candidates are

1 AC trucks.-Air conditioning trucks Are top number 1 on any list.
2 12 bolt coil spring rear end and posi.
3 V8 engine
4 automatic
5 disc brakes

The reason why most want these options are cus its a proven factor the combinations work.The ride, The feel, How the truck handles.

Most buyers want a turn key truck a few problems are OK.Not hack Job problems.

Paint no big deal most will want there own color some day chrome again will fix that another day.Dents again fixable.Engine smokes fixable.I can go on and on.

this goes for 1940--87 Chevy and Gmc trucks.

But what people don't want to see is some one asking 9000.00 for a truck that's worth 1500.00

There are things on some trucks if you want the bang for your truck or beater LOL should not have Now these are what i like to me less problems arise with out there parts on your truck.

I Hate HEADERS !!!Header gaskets going bad most of the time Cheap headers burned wires $49.00 a set now days with HEI wires

Pain less wire harness to the newbies there in a battle they can't win if they have a short some where.

Parts from newer or older trucks.Some are ok some are just plainly unsafe.

If you are trying to get bang for the truck use stock parts.Like 7 blade metal fan if you don't have the AC compressor leave the brackets on the motor.

Few of the people trucks i see at the car show have the alternator on the wrong side they use the car alt brackets from Nova driver side.

Now the one i never could understand is.I know i'm not a wire man I suck at it majorly.if i'm out on the road thats the last thing i want to go wrong a wire fire or my truck goes dead

If you want major bang for your truck

Use M&H factory wire harness and use the 1973 corvette Plug wires that go throw the motor mounts.

Added stuff like add on tact's are a waist of time if it came with a tack grate.

What ever you do don't buy the 49.99 chrome dress up kit that means your trying to hide something.

Big rims and tires to me i would tell you to drop the price and you keep the rims and tires 300 per tire

Miss match tires I rather buy a truck with all matching bald tires then see 4 different makes on the truck.

Remember your trying to sell your truck

Its like Curb appeal when you sell your house you would not want to paint your house all Black and put a Devil sign painted on it to get 300K.NO

Most of the Pro's in here will differ on what i look for.But most of them will agree.

what would you rather have a few selected buys or the maximum buyers turn out to see your truck.What sells a truck low volume of people or high volume and you will get your asking firm price or will you be cut down on the price.Tire kicks suck don't Give them a reason to kick the price.

I like seeing trucks mostly stock they sell but if people like to low ball you point them to Bone head down the street that has Pee Wee's custom truck for 7200 Know one will take him serious.

I payed 650.00 for this truck back in 2009 1971 Chevy Cheyenne 350 th350 AC power steering power brake rear leaf spring pretty much all stock found it on Craigslist it was on there for 1 year.
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Rod Run

Re: Selling your Ride.Rules on getting the bang for your Buck

Good body and paint are #1 on a lot of people's list, because that is usually the biggest expense and a skill that the least amount of people have

I was taught long ago, forget about the drivetrain, those are cheap and go in and out with the turn of a few bolt, but body work and paint take the longest and cost the most. No truer words have ever been spoken.

As far as A/C, automatic and things like headers, there are to many personal opinions to make a blanket statement, on what will bring the most money. That stuff is just all a matter of opinions and we all have our own ones of them. Hahahaa
Old 04-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well paint lacquer paint you will never find a factory truck unless it was in side its hole like most guys like patina trucks.they spray clear over the rotting paint job Body work your right I suck at it so will agree But seen my fair share of hack jobs when it comes to body work I like to fine ones with rocker panel that needs to be replaces that's all like on my 1967 3 door suburban only bad spot payed only 400.00 back in 1995 no front fender clip no motor or trans
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
DBK81

Yup, solid body is the biggest thing for me, especially up here in Canada, I wish we had the old vehicles like you Southern state folk.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I got one for you Canada people time to share.I see more AC brackets for the Inline 6 up in your nect of the woods then any where on the planet and why do you guys need AC you guys are mostly cold 254 days out of the year or use to be like that globo warming
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Beaumont@

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I got one for you Canada people time to share.I see more AC brackets for the Inline 6 up in your nect of the woods then any where on the planet and why do you guys need AC you guys are mostly cold 254 days out of the year or use to be like that globo warming
We like our A/Cs for those rare hot days, like when it gets up to 40 or even 45 F.
Keeps the igloo from melting too
Beaumont@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #7
DBK81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont@ View Post
We like our A/Cs for those rare hot days, like when it gets up to 40 or even 45 F.
Keeps the igloo from melting too

Hahaha, even though it does get cold, it can also get well above 100F and who the hell can handle that when's it's below zero 254 days of the year
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #8
Mrturner1

Quote:
Most of the Pro's in here will differ on what i look for.But most of them will agree.
Absolutely
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I see a lot now days every where every one whats to get in on the gold rush on these trucks.But most of us started long ago when we could pick these trucks up for 50.00 to 275.00 running straight clean paint .

But now its just a way to make money.Man back when metal was at 650.00 a ton No one cared about these old trucks here in Calif.

I saw truck after truck being scraped that clunker rebate.

And now you have the bleeding harts saying don't scrap them.

If metal went back up to 750.00 a ton tomorrow People would not car to junk 2500 of these trucks
Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
truckster

I agree that a solid, rust-free body is number one for me. I'd rather spend the time and money on making things go than have to spend it on keeping things together.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Very good points in your first post StSalvage. Your comment about modern stuff on our older trucks sometime looking good is very true and case in point is those GMT400 15 x 7 Chrome Rims on the truck in your post.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I like the steel SS rims that come of the 1990-93 Chevy trucks plus they look like NASCAR rims
Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #13
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I feel them chrome wheels are so much over looked they are like the Ralley rims that came on the camaro's nova's chevelle's.

I remember that every one use to throw them away i had over 25 sets at one time back in 1995 every time i go the the scrap yard i pull out 3-8 rims at a time of them Chevy rally wheels the ones i did not understand was the 15X 10 and some looked to be 15X15 they must of been Drag wheels or sand paddle tire steel wheels
Old 04-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
I feel them chrome wheels are so much over looked they are like the Ralley rims that came on the camaro's nova's chevelle's.

I remember that every one use to throw them away i had over 25 sets at one time back in 1995 every time i go the the scrap yard i pull out 3-8 rims at a time of them Chevy rally wheels the ones i did not understand was the 15X 10 and some looked to be 15X15 they must of been Drag wheels or sand paddle tire steel wheels
The GMT 400 chrome rims on your truck fetch 4/450 a set around here.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote