The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
Flysocal

4 Bar with pan-hard vs conventional leafs for daily driver

I've got a build thread on here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674804

My goal is a nice daily driver occasional track fun but looking for drivability. Occasional towing as well. Already purchased Scotts ifs ls1 4L60E and have Scotts 4 bar rear with pan hard but have not installed it yet. Cost aside (since it's already bought and paid for), will this setup make for good daily drivability?

Escensially this will be a truck first and hotrod second. Not too late to switch to leaf springs. Thanks for the insight.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
LEEVON

Re: 4 Bar with pan-hard vs conventional leafs for daily driver

Leaf springs are the way to go if you are going to use the truck. Nothing wrong with 4 link, but if leafs are good enough for your original truck up through 2016 silverados and almost everything in between then you should not worry.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Rickysnickers

I don't see why it would be an issue using the four link over the leafs. I have a truck with a TCI four link set up. While it's not a daily driver, it rides just fine. Now mind you, I don't do any towing, so maybe somebody will chime in about that. But my opinion is you've bought it, use it The reason the OEMs use leaf springs is that they are cheap and provide the locating system as well as the suspension.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
_Ogre

imo, 4 link is for drag racing
but... with the ifs your going to lower the front end quite a bit and you'll need to lower the back end the same amount
either way your going to need to c-notch the rear frame

if your going to tow with a lowered truck it might help to keep the spring and rebuild them
i'd add helper air bags to keep it level when towing

my 58 truk is on stock springs, 26,000 miles later i'd still stay on springs

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Flysocal

I've been told I don't need to notch my frame for the 4 bar setup. Still on the fence here with my rear suspension. Definitely not building a drag racing truck. Want it to handle like a Camaro but tow like a truck. I got this feeling I will be happier with leaf springs (even camaros had leaf springs) but if the 4 bar will do everything the leaf will I will stick with it since it's already paid for.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
_Ogre

you don't need to c-notch the frame for the 4 link, you need to c-notch for lowering the rearend to match the ifs

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

I wouldn't even CONSIDER using the stock springs on that kind of ride. If I was really thinking of towing heavy, like a tandem axle car trailer, loaded, then I would get aftermarket springs with urethane bushings and new hangars. The stock stuff is junk compared to today's stuff. As far as the Camaro leaf springs, there were many "bean counters" affecting the outcome of those pony cars. They had a price benchmark to hit. Compared to today's cars, they also handled and stopped like a freight truck. Helper air bags can work on a 4 link also.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
Flysocal

Sounds like the consensus is I will not loose any daily driver street ability running a 4 bar. This truck will be replacing a 4cyl ford ranger and don't want to loose that utility which obviously doesn't include towing anything heavier than a motorcycle trailer. I don't have any experience with car suspensions and this is my first build. Appreciate the comments.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
Sounds like the consensus is I will not loose any daily driver street ability running a 4 bar. This truck will be replacing a 4cyl ford ranger and don't want to loose that utility which obviously doesn't include towing anything heavier than a motorcycle trailer. I don't have any experience with car suspensions and this is my first build. Appreciate the comments.
Chevy Tahoes have a 4-link rear. There is really no issue with the suspension layout. As long is it is heavy duty enough to take the loads placed on it, no problem. Actually as a daily driver, I'd be MORE inclined to go 4 link because it can ride and drive better and sportier if set up right
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote