The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #26
Lattimer

Re: 350-400hp for $5k??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMsurf View Post
Well the key there was you said you did the assembly yourself, I'm not comfortable tackling engine assembly on my own. I'm a good maintenance type home mechanic, brakes, replacing bolt on stuff, etc. but I have no experience with engine internals. I would hate to attempt to build my own, fail and have to pay double to have a shop finish the job.

I am warming up to the idea of pulling my motor and installing a turn key crate on my own. I think I can rent an engine hoist from an auto parts store

Also, I did the whole "build it myself" job on my first engine replacement. I found an already machined 327 block, bought all the other parts, found a set of camel hump heads and had them rebuilt.

Engine lasted about 50 miles and started knocking. I followed every step in the book and checked every single thing along the way, but obviously I missed something. Thats was about $2200 down the drain.

Gave up and bought a crate, sold the other engine as-is.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #27
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I can relate, firing up a new engine is like being an expectant father, hoping everything goes well and no issues, never had one give a problem (Engine that is ) but you almost always have some sort of leak, timing has to be reset, etc... it's great feeling and accomplishment to hear one roar to life (kids and the engines ) all kidding aside, you have to be comfortable doing the work, not to mention quality tools for the job, not an easy thing for the home maintenance guy to round up with out spending a fortune in a short hurry.
Good luck!
Ben Smith
For sure, it comes down to time vs money. I would guess the labor to have a shop do the engine swap is around $1500 maybe more. That's money I could spend on parts if I did it myself but who knows how long it will take me to do the job myself learning as I go.
DTMsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #28
DogueParamour

I've got Pop's Hot Rod Garage in Oceanside working on my '71 right now. It has about 60 hrs worth of work I have no clue how to do.....but at $95 an hr. Ouch!

They're very knowledgeable, very experienced, won't bull**** you, and even have some famous peeps throwing money at them to work on their classics. You should stop by to chat with them if you're anywhere near Oside.

305 Wisconsin Ave
Oceanside 92054
DogueParamour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #29
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogueParamour View Post
I've got Pop's Hot Rod Garage in Oceanside working on my '71 right now. It has about 60 hrs worth of work I have no clue how to do.....but at $95 an hr. Ouch!

They're very knowledgeable, very experienced, won't bull**** you, and even have some famous peeps throwing money at them to work on their classics. You should stop by to chat with them if you're anywhere near Oside.

305 Wisconsin Ave
Oceanside 92054
Holy moly your already over my whole budget just in labor, what are they doing to your truck?
Old 04-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #30
Mrturner1

Quote:
Holy moly your already over my whole budget just in labor, what are they doing to your truck?
lol it gets expensive quick
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #31
67 chevelle

350 ho motor , rated at 330 , actually makes 350 , same as the old zz4 made
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #32
hugger6933

Now in a earlier post you mentioned your local C-10 club. Talk around those guys to make a friend you have to be friendly. Knowing some of the gearheads I do if you mention building a motor they may just show up with torque wrench in hand. I know a lot of my friends that are into hotrodding who have built motors before and LOVE doing it. I have got several motors on stands some that needs building and I have parts for them just no time or desire to get them built up. I have one friend that when he comes to my shop asks me if he can build them. Now I know he has built several maybe in the area of 100 motors. You could maybe find and befriend someone that is a club member that would love to help you out.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #33
Mrturner1

Not sure where you're at on deciding at this point, but I just wanted to throw this in there in case it helps. I was reading your post about your mechanical capabilities and that you've done routine maintenance and small bolt-ons. Don't sell yourself short on doing the work yourself. I just recently finished pullin the motor out of my 70 c10, and tearing it down to just the block and pistons. My short block turned out to be in pretty good shape so I didn't get into the crank and rods, but everything else I did on my own (besides machine work on the heads) with the same capabilities as you. I had done bolt ons, water pumps, exhausts, oil change, stuff like that. I had no intentions of going as far with it as I did, I just wanted to identify the cam in the beginning lol but with the help of this site and some awesome guys I rebuilt everything but the crank and rods and easily have 400+ hp right now and it's far from dialed in. A lot of the guys who helped me have already posted in this thread, and it was possible with their help.

I spent a little extra on my heads because I was so headstrong about having a big lopey cam, so you could save some cash there with a milder one, but even with 900$ into a set of heads I have it running strong with about 2300$ into it. And that includes a big stall converter, dual electric fans, some transmission parts and a bunch of chrome accessories which add up fast. That also includes a nice torque wrench and a balancer puller, feeler gauge and some other tools.

As was said above, the feeling of accomplishment is awesome. If you can get the garage space, an engine lift is easy to come by most the time. So whether you rebuild your top end or go with a crate, you can install it yourself.

Have fun
Matt
Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #34
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Now in a earlier post you mentioned your local C-10 club. Talk around those guys to make a friend you have to be friendly. Knowing some of the gearheads I do if you mention building a motor they may just show up with torque wrench in hand. I know a lot of my friends that are into hotrodding who have built motors before and LOVE doing it. I have got several motors on stands some that needs building and I have parts for them just no time or desire to get them built up. I have one friend that when he comes to my shop asks me if he can build them. Now I know he has built several maybe in the area of 100 motors. You could maybe find and befriend someone that is a club member that would love to help you out.
Man I wish I could come turn some wrenches in there! A FEW motors on stands??!! That's my kind of shop
Old 04-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #35
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I think they figured out that people like me were abusing the hell out of that free shipping....
So was I. I'll be getting some free shipping from summit or jegs this week. The farm truck came home on a flatbed this afternoon. I hit a 1-2 shift with some extra enthusiasm and got bang-bang-bang in return. It was too high pitched a knock to be a rod (and there wasn't a hole in the block or pan) so I figured I dropped a valve. Got it towed and pulled the valve covers back and the house. Found the #7 exhaust valve rocker broke nearly in two. That is the second comp cam component failure I have had in this engine (first time was lifters coming apart).

I think I am going to order a set of Harland sharp rocker arms tomorrow.

And so it goes....ka-Ching, ka-Ching, ka-Ching.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #36
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
So was I. I'll be getting some free shipping from summit or jegs this week. The farm truck came home on a flatbed this afternoon. I hit a 1-2 shift with some extra enthusiasm and got bang-bang-bang in return. It was too high pitched a knock to be a rod (and there wasn't a hole in the block or pan) so I figured I dropped a valve. Got it towed and pulled the valve covers back and the house. Found the #7 exhaust valve rocker broke nearly in two. That is the second comp cam component failure I have had in this engine (first time was lifters coming apart).

I think I am going to order a set of Harland sharp rocker arms tomorrow.

And so it goes....ka-Ching, ka-Ching, ka-Ching.
It never ends. I have over $30k in my truck and still haven't even come close to painting it.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #37
Coley

Smile Re: 350-400hp for $5k??

In all good conscience I couldn't buy one of those mexican crate engines at the moment.
They always make me think of Walmart getting in the engine replacement business.....and that raft of incredibly 'cheapo' guys running in there for the 'deal'....then crying in their coors light at losing their jobs in a couple of years to foreign outsourcing in their respective fields....lol.....and I do mean lol.
I would look and search locally for a guy, a local shop that could compete...then I'd give them a shot...with intelligent qualifications of course.
Always something to consider when needing a quality product. Go local....or go Mexican?....or ?
Whenever I run into guys locally who spend most of their time trying to constantly save money on a car hobby I usually tell them to go buy a corolla...they will achieve most of their final goals there.
My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #38
bs46488

DTM,

What "local club" are you referring to? What part of town are you in?

In San Diego there are a lot of options to get work done.

MJM Engines has some attractive long block deals.

I'm in the east county and we have machine shops all over the place out here.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #39
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Amen brother. It never ends. I'm still throwing money at my engine, $75 or $100 at a time (depending on whether I buy from Jegs - no more free shipping on any purchase! - or Summit.
Not entirely true, you just have to know where to look

Although, they probably figured in the shipping price into the cost now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Goodwrenc...-/400764245043
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #40
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
DTM,

What "local club" are you referring to? What part of town are you in?

In San Diego there are a lot of options to get work done.

MJM Engines has some attractive long block deals.

I'm in the east county and we have machine shops all over the place out here.
Logan from c10 club San Diego gave me info about his 383 build
Old 04-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #41
DogueParamour

Quote:
I bought my dream truck last yr as a running project, but there's too many items that needed attention that I either don't have the knowledge, the time, the tools, or the garage space to attempt.

So I brought it to Pop's and basically said, I want this to be my DD, make it to Texas and back without a worry in the world, and haul ass while doing it.

So they're doing everything from adding Vintage Air, to replacing my drive shaft, repairing some rot on the frame, rolling my fenders to fit the wheels and tires, a little suspension and exhaust work as well as re-wiring the entire truck and some other misc. I'm like a kid on Xmas morning waiting for my present. Ha!

Let me know if you ever make it up to Oside. I'd love to chat with other C10 owners and learn more.

- Jeremy
DogueParamour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #42
XwalkerX

where abouts in SD are you?

do I see a small gathering in the future this weekend?
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #43
turbotruck

$300 junkyard 350 vortec heads. new cam lifters springs carb intake, headers etc. tear it down replace rod and main bearings. should make 400 easy for about $1500 if you want more power . for another 1500 or so you can bolt on a turbo and make 600 easy
turbotruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #44
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwalkerX View Post
where abouts in SD are you?

do I see a small gathering in the future this weekend?
Couple this weekend, coffee and cars on Sunday and cruisin grand on Friday night
Old 04-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #45
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotruck View Post
$300 junkyard 350 vortec heads. new cam lifters springs carb intake, headers etc. tear it down replace rod and main bearings. should make 400 easy for about $1500 if you want more power . for another 1500 or so you can bolt on a turbo and make 600 easy
Pretty much what I'm thinking, rebuild my motor but change out heads, cam and intake should get me up around 350hp
Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #46
XwalkerX

Quote:
Couple this weekend, coffee and cars on Sunday and cruisin grand on Friday night
what cars and coffee?

not sure ill be able to make Escondido...we'll see
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #47
bs46488

The antique drags at Barona are on Saturday April 30th.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #48
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwalkerX View Post
what cars and coffee?

not sure ill be able to make Escondido...we'll see
It's at donut touch Mira Mesa 7am