The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
SocalBurb

Looking to start restoration.... advice needed

Ok so I have the funds to start my restoration on my 69' K20 4x4 Suburban. I am unsure about were to start!? I do not want to "redo" stuff. So do I go all out and replace motor completely, or rebuild it? Do I rebuild tranny, or replace it? Do I need to replace the axles / suspension components / steering components? What other items should I replace during restoration????????

Here is my list of items I definitely want to complete:
  • Rebuilt or New Motor
  • Rebuilt or new tranny
  • new from fenders/wheel wells
  • Disc Brake conversion
  • Hookup A/C
  • Interior carpet and seat upholstery
  • Rust removal (minimal) / Exterior Paint
  • New Exhaust system

My goal is to make it a "weekend warrior", not a show truck. I want to be able to jump in and go, without worrying about motor/tranny/etc.

Any advice on were to start, and how to go about it (order) is much appreciated.

Cameron
SocalBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Looking to start restoration.... advice needed

It's hard to beat an LS swap from a cost, drivability, and reliability stand point.

If you aren't going for a frame off, it's great when you can break the project into chunks so you keep the downtime to a minimum.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

It all depends on how much space you have to do all this work really, if you are a home owner and have a big work space then you are already ahead of the curve.

If not, then get all the big and dirty things done first. Since you run the risk of being told to hurry up an move on, or your parts getting up and sprouting legs never to be seen again.

Tell us what you situation is, as far as space and time line to completion.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #4
SocalBurb

Well, I do have my own space, but I wasn't planning on doing the work myself I am not mechanically inclined, and I don't have the time.

I just need to know the steps to perform the work so I can start getting quotes... and I need to know what I should and shouldn't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
It all depends on how much space you have to do all this work really, if you are a home owner and have a big work space then you are already ahead of the curve.

If not, then get all the big and dirty things done first. Since you run the risk of being told to hurry up an move on, or your parts getting up and sprouting legs never to be seen again.

Tell us what you situation is, as far as space and time line to completion.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #5
SocalBurb

Cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
It's hard to beat an LS swap from a cost, drivability, and reliability stand point.

If you aren't going for a frame off, it's great when you can break the project into chunks so you keep the downtime to a minimum.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
IADC43

From my personal experience, get it to be a driver, then plan out your updates and projects on it with the intention of making it drivable again as soon as possible.
My reason for that is because it is very easy to explode the whole truck into parts intending to get it all done at once, and then get overwhelmed and put things off indefinitely to "think" about what is going to happen next.
Obviously, there are aspects of a build that have to take a ton of time to finish, and there is a lot of thinking and planning that SHOULD be done so you can follow a build timeline, but keeping it drivable is important in maintaining interest in the vehicle.

IADC43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:47 AM   #7
60sIron

Cameron I have some advice, just from my personal experience. First I hope you have a lot of money. Everything on your list would be costly if you did it yourself let alone paying a professional. Ask any car guy, it's cheaper to buy it done. Second my Suburban was our families everyday driver when I finished the restoration. I did everything you listed but the disc breaks. We put over 100,000 miles on it. You had better get mechincal, your platform is almost 50 years old. Even with a LS engine and state of the art trans. Stuff will break. Wipers, window regulators, heaters............
I don't mean to sound negative, I love my 69 Sub, but after owning it for 20 years I still can't part with it. Just really, really understand what you're getting into. A lot of people have put a lot of money into a project and walked away with nothing. Good luck, search the forums for information to educate yourself and if there's one around join a car club for support and help directing you to the folks that do good work. Keep us posted.
Greg
60sIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:30 AM   #8
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sIron View Post
Cameron I have some advice, just from my personal experience. First I hope you have a lot of money. Everything on your list would be costly if you did it yourself let alone paying a professional. Ask any car guy, it's cheaper to buy it done. Second my Suburban was our families everyday driver when I finished the restoration. I did everything you listed but the disc breaks. We put over 100,000 miles on it. You had better get mechincal, your platform is almost 50 years old. Even with a LS engine and state of the art trans. Stuff will break. Wipers, window regulators, heaters............
I don't mean to sound negative, I love my 69 Sub, but after owning it for 20 years I still can't part with it. Just really, really understand what you're getting into. A lot of people have put a lot of money into a project and walked away with nothing. Good luck, search the forums for information to educate yourself and if there's one around join a car club for support and help directing you to the folks that do good work. Keep us posted.

Greg
Very good advice! As well as what others have posted.
Does it run/drive now? If so how well? Will this be a primary mode of transport?

I would really have to have a strong sentimental attatchment to a rig before I dumped this much money into it. You could probably buy a very nice Burb that was all done for much less than what you will pay to have someone/shop perform all this. Labor will probably run you twice as much as the parts themselves.

If at this point you are still comitted, I would start with the suspension and brakes followed by the cooling system with belts and hoses. If the motor hits on all 8 and doesnt smoke or knock i would leave it for now. Same with the tranny assuming its in good working order. Next consider a new full length exhaust especially if yours is original or cobbled up. Now would also be a good time to replace any rubber fuel line you may have.

Good luck and remember to have fun, that is what its all about.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Bigdav160

Quote:
My goal is to make it a "weekend warrior", not a show truck. I want to be able to jump in and go, without worrying about motor/tranny/etc.
The beautiful thing is GM used that drivetrain up into the early 1990's. My Suburban was used for boondocking trips down into old Mexico. If it is in good condition it will be reliable.

I'm guessing 90% of "restorations" never get completed. The percentage is probably higher if it is "frame off".

I would do the maintenance that needs to be done to make it road worthy. And do the aesthetic things to make it pleasurable to drive and enjoy it.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote