The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Coca Cola truck

As those who read my posts know, I pick up a lot of junk cars and tow for a living. So every day I scout the craigslist to find some more junkers and see what is interesting out there. Recently I came across an ad for an 86LWB truck for $500. I was amazed as a lot of times the rustiest piece of junk is about double that.. ( thanks Barrett Jackson and you guys )so I emailed the guy immediately.
We texted back and forth a couple of times and he called me and told me the earliest he could show me the truck would be Saturday April 16 I and told him I wouldn't fight him on price and he should consider the truck sold. I guess I have an honest voice as the ad was down and Saturday morning we made arrangements and I went and bought it.
I have decided to name this the Coca Cola truck as all my builds have a name.
I would also like to remind you all I am still finishing Buddy's truck and the build to that can be found here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=646966&page=4
So as I went to pick up this truck, I was told the story about how this family had this truck for years and it was their father's truck, and he was in failing health and they needed to sell the truck. His daughter handled the paperwork and although she was trying to put on a brave face, she was fighting the tears as I loaded it onto my trailer.. The previous owner , Mr Trong Q Huynh, had owned this truck since may of 1993 and had cherished this vehicle. His family was also quite attached. It had not been used in about six months due to his declining health and the family was being forced to sell it. I assured them their truck was in good hands before I drove away. I would ask that anyone actually reading this thread to keep Mr Trong and his family in their thoughts and prayers.
That being said , llet me show you what I have to start with
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Coca Cola truck

This truck is a Custom Deluxe trim with the 8 ft fleetside bed very little options, but it is in pretty good condition for its age and it does look better in the pictures as opposed to in person BUT it is a very good base. As those who know me know, this will be more of a restoration than a build.
My plans are to repaint the truck . The pictures are how I have received it. Im planning on mimicking the original paint scheme and trim but I will not be replacing those stripes. The previous owner removed the stock radio and I will replace it and remove the radio from the center of the dash
I will also be going over the motor trans etc.
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

So today I decided to see a little more of what I have to work with . I spent a couple of hours removing the body side moldings and the stickers. It looks a lot less like a coke can now lol I think I can save the bed where the rust is as well as the majority of the left rocker. I think everyone should buy stock in sandpaper as this truck is going to take a bunch. I am going to remove the cab lights installed by the prior owner as soon as I get some gas for the welder so I can weld up those holes .some small progress pictures.
This is going to be a slow build as my wife has developed some small medical issues and this truck is going to be like my first build something to keep me busy while I care for her..
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
flashed

Looks like a pretty nice start ,Im in .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Cool truck!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
daddyjeep

You are keeping the cap...right?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Zach079xxx

Looks like farm truck from street outlaws! Nice buy!
Thumpin' away
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
Mr.Chevy4x4

I love the look of a stock truck with a camper shell and hub caps! Nice score! Looking forward to the progress.

Mike
Old 04-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Yes I am keeping both the plastic bed liner and the cap. Today I was kept busy most of the day but I did score a dash cap that has the proper trim panel so that will be restored. I had about ten minutes tonight and I took out my orbital sander and started sanding the decal residue off the front left fender. Its coming off easier than I expected so hopefully if I get some nice days and some time/ambition, I will be able to get a lot of body work done.
I do hope to keep the stock rims on it BUT I will add trim rings if they will fit so it looks fancier

I hate cancer!!
Old 04-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

over the last week we had some issues with being really busy then the flatbed took a dump again so I didn't have much time to do much than order a few tune up parts for it and today fellow board member and good guy ScottH came by and we replaced the valve cover gaskets, tightened a couple of the valves that were loose and did the usual plugs cap and wires. It runs 100%better. think I could get another 100K outta that air filter/
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
rusty76

Cool truck and nice find.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Cool truck. The spid says 3-speed automatic but that looks like a brake pedal from a manual trans truck. Is it swapped in or do I need new glasses?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #13
LT7A

That looks like a great truck! Almost looks like it would clean up with just removing the stripes and rubbing out the paint. I see a rig like that and immediately see the potential. I have to try not to look for a for sale sign, ha. It looks like you also may have a Cutlass project in the driveway? Thank you for letting us know about the Hyunh family. I associate my Squares with my dad and I know it must be hard for them to give up a truck that he enjoyed. They will be in my prayers.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote