The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
65sbss

Starter stuck!

I have a 350 with Hei ignition. Recently I went to start it and I got the "click" like it was bad solenoid. I took out old starter, installed new one and it started fine for a couple of weeks. Then it did the same thing, click and no start.
I took it to shop and they put in new starter. and he said gear is not disengaging flywheel (burning up Starter in process.) He is very experienced. They shimed the starter. Still will not disengage. Flywheel looks good. Teeth ok and about 14.1 dia. I noticed the thin yellow wire to starter had burned slightly. Could bad ignition cause this? I appreciate your help!
65sbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Starter stuck!

Is it a loud click or a lower ratcheting sound? If the starter is shimmed correctly then it should not stick in the cranking mode. Usually if they stick then the starter will continue cranking the engine until the battery dies or is disconnected.

The small yellow wire is a jumper for the OEM coil to give it a full 12 volts during cranking for a hotter spark. You have HEI and should have 12 volts going to it whenever the key is on if you've wired it correctly. You no longer need the yellow wire so I would remove it off the starter and tape up the end of it.

If the starter is binding then you should remove the mounting bolts and replace them with new starter mount bolts and use a brace on the starter to mount it to the block.
Old bolts or incorrect ones can let the starter shift and cause the bendix gear to bind on the flywheel.

Take all the cable connections off the starter and battery and clean them thoroughly. As well as the ground connection on the block. If the cables are old they can corrode down inside under the insulation and cause a loss of current flow to the starter. You might want to replace them. At least do a voltage drop test on the positive cable.

Take a look at this.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655903

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
65sbss

VetVette, it is one loud click. When I replaced the starter I noticed that the yellow wire had actually burned insulation off for about 2-3 inches at the connector. I'm thinking that I may have short somewhere in wiring harness. Bad news is I just had 4 discs and 5 vertebrae fixed and I can't get to it myself. Stupid me changed the starter and damn near killed myself! I'm at the mercy of repair shop. He is thinking flex plate. I never thought of the bolts being bad.
I really appreciate your input. I now live in Hartwell GA but was raised near you in Watervliet. Thanks again for sharing your expertise!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sbss View Post
VetVette, it is one loud click. When I replaced the starter I noticed that the yellow wire had actually burned insulation off for about 2-3 inches at the connector. I'm thinking that I may have short somewhere in wiring harness. Bad news is I just had 4 discs and 5 vertebrae fixed and I can't get to it myself. Stupid me changed the starter and damn near killed myself! I'm at the mercy of repair shop. He is thinking flex plate. I never thought of the bolts being bad.
I really appreciate your input. I now live in Hartwell GA but was raised near you in Watervliet. Thanks again for sharing your expertise!
Wow sorry to hear about your back. I hope it all turns out OK and you heal soon. The loud click indicates that either your starter isn't getting enough current to turn over or it is locked up and couldn't rotate. Hopefully the shop will solve the problem. I have heard of flexplates being out of round and binding the starter gear but it is rare.

Yes Watervliet is familiar to me. Lane Automotive is there and one of my good friend's son lived there, perhaps you knew him. His name is Cameron Crabb and he worked at Whirlpool before he moved to North Carolina.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #5
65sbss

I haven't been back to Watervliet for 25 years. In my day I helped keep Lane Auto open! Again, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us! I am sending this to my mechanic. I'll let you know results! Have you ever made it to Pigeon Forge for any of the Car Shows there? If so we might meet. I at least owe you a cup of coffee!
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sbss View Post
I haven't been back to Watervliet for 25 years. In my day I helped keep Lane Auto open! Again, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us! I am sending this to my mechanic. I'll let you know results! Have you ever made it to Pigeon Forge for any of the Car Shows there? If so we might meet. I at least owe you a cup of coffee!
Very nice truck. I have some friends over in the Greenville area and one in particular in Anderson. I told him about you living in Hartville and he said he's only 15 minutes away. He's going to Maggie Valley in July for a C10 show and he want's me to come down. We have a vacation planned in July but we are going over towards Memphis.If it was just up to me I'd be there in a heart beat, but my wife ain't into car shows.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide