The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #1
1bad396ss

LS Alt Charge Wire

I currently have my battery mounted under the bed behind the cab on the driver's side. I ran a 1/0 welding cable to a 300 amp marine grade breaker, 1/0 from breaker to the alternator charge terminal, 1/0 cable from charge terminal to starter solenoid. I see plenty of diagrams showing the alt wired between the battery and starter. Any issues with doing it as stated above? Seems fine and starts /charges perfectly (have started numerous times on the rolling chassis). Just didn't want to fry the alt post or something. Not a DC electric pro!

Voltage at all points reads darn near identical / not much voltage drop to speak of at all if any.

I will be running a separate 6AWG welding cable circuit from the battery that will have its own protection to a junction block for powering the ECM, main fuse panel inside, and other accessories. Each circuit off junction block will also be properly protected.
1bad396ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
dec010974

Re: LS Alt Charge Wire

When wiring my LSx swap, I used the factory battery cables and fuse block which came with the LSx engine/transmission. If it's good for the general, then it's good for me. the fuse block is located on the side of the alternator/power steering bracket. This fuse block has (3) leads. (1) lead goes to starter. (1) lead goes to alternator. (1) lead goes to battery. I never had a problem with starting or charging. I'll try to post pics or the fuse block as soon as I get a chance.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
dec010974

here are the pics as promised. sorry for the late delay. I have to upload these pics from email. if any more are needed. text me at 305-815-6660. the pics are on my phone.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: LS Alt Charge Wire

I like that junction box! I may have to go to the local yard and grab a couple of those.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
dec010974

If you need one, I may have one in the garage, somewhere. you will need the junction mounting bracket that attaches to the power steering/alternator bracket also. if you cant find one, hit me up Andy4639.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
1bad396ss

Many thanks for the pics. I'd have to do some rearranging of things to make that work as I have up and forward headers that would run right into that bracket.

Just to confirm you have a line running straight from your battery to that junction, straight from the ALT to that junction, and straight from the starter to that junction correct? No fusing between the alternator and that junction (at least not that I can tell).

I'll snap a photo of my setup in case anyone else chimes in.

Thanks again.
1bad396ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad396ss View Post
Just to confirm you have a line running straight from your battery to that junction, straight from the ALT to that junction, and straight from the starter to that junction correct? No fusing between the alternator and that junction (at least not that I can tell).
Thats the way the factory did it, but the wire between the alternator and the junction block is a fusible link.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
aod92

Sorry to hijack your thread but can I run my charge wire from the alternator straight to the battery or do I need it fused?
aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
dec010974

LS1Nova71, Thanks for chiming in. Yes, 1bad396ss. I try to keep things very simple. if its good for the GM, then its great for me. My battery is mounted in the back, on the frame, behind the cab. Hello aod92, if it were me I would. can you post a pic of your alternator, engine bay set up?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Hart_Rod

I have a similar question/situation and not trying to hijack your thread. My battery is in the rear also. I ran the battery cable to the starter. I then ran a wire from the alternator to the starter with a fusible link. Next I ran then fuse panel hot wire to the alternator. Electrically it works, but does anyone see an issue with how I wired this? Thanks in advance and hopefully I contributed to the discussion.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
dec010974

Hart_Rod. yes it would & should work. I like my junction box idea. it closely resembles GM's idea and the power devices are getting their power from one place(junction Box). Also, in your case the starter and alternator are feeding other devices. they all are connected but I would change it. Please don't make the electrical guru. I was beaten up on a thread for that. For your set up, if you plan to keep it that way, The items that need power, protect the devices, by adding a fusible link.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
Hart_Rod. yes it would & should work. I like my junction box idea. it closely resembles GM's idea and the power devices are getting their power from one place(junction Box). Also, in your case the starter and alternator are feeding other devices. they all are connected but I would change it. Please don't make the electrical guru. I was beaten up on a thread for that. For your set up, if you plan to keep it that way, The items that need power, protect the devices, by adding a fusible link.
Thanks! I used a fusible link to make sure it was protected, .
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
lowrodderchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I have a similar question/situation and not trying to hijack your thread. My battery is in the rear also. I ran the battery cable to the starter. I then ran a wire from the alternator to the starter with a fusible link. Next I ran then fuse panel hot wire to the alternator. Electrically it works, but does anyone see an issue with how I wired this? Thanks in advance and hopefully I contributed to the discussion.
What gauge of wire did you use? Also what size of fusible link? All this is from the hot side on the alternator correct?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Im not sure about the fuse link, its whatever came on my 81..but my wire size is 10ga..it was also the same one that came on the truck..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote