The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
footbraker

Best way to lower my 70 c10?

The truck is a 1970 c10, 2wd. My truck has rear leaf springs, no coils in the rear. My front end has 71 model parts making it 5 lug and disc brakes.

The truck has been lowered by the previous owner up front by heating the springs. The rear has been lowered by removing some of the leaf springs. I am interested in doing it the right way with about a 4.5/6 inch drop.

What have some of you guys used, especially for the rear?
Posted via Mobile Device
footbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Fldawg

Re: Best way to lower my 70 c10?

drop spindles and drop shakles
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Drop spindles and 2 inch lowered springs in front. Lowered springs and/or flip kit in back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
footbraker

Thanks guys. On the rear do I just need drop shackles and then drop leaf springs? What about the spring hanger that's on the front of the leaf spring? I haven't been able to find any drop hangers. Do I leave that stock and it still works?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You will get a variety of opinions, so let me throw mine in. I "always" prefer to get as much static drop as possible then lower with springs from there. That would include spindles in front, and a hanger and shackle or flip kit for the rear.

Once that is done normally I suggest cutting a half coil for 1" or a complete coil for another 2" drop. That is assuming you have a usable stock coil. Since your have been heated, throw them away and buy a 1" or 2" lowering spring.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
stroker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbraker View Post
The truck is a 1970 c10, 2wd. My truck has rear leaf springs, no coils in the rear. My front end has 71 model parts making it 5 lug and disc brakes.

The truck has been lowered by the previous owner up front by heating the springs. The rear has been lowered by removing some of the leaf springs. I am interested in doing it the right way with about a 4.5/6 inch drop.

What have some of you guys used, especially for the rear?
Posted via Mobile Device
the guys are on the money when the tell you spindles and springs up front i lowered two trucks that way and the ride has always been nice, i'm just wondering if you have the leafs that was removed? a flip kit or shackles and hangers with the leafs removed might be to much of a drop?

btw the flip kit will get you more lower then the shackles and hangers
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
footbraker

if i have to, I will buy new stock rear leaf springs. I just want it to be done right.

For the rear flip kit. What i seen says it lowers it 5-6 inches. Does this require the frame to be c-notched?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
stroker87

Quote:
if i have to, I will buy new stock rear leaf springs. I just want it to be done right.

For the rear flip kit. What i seen says it lowers it 5-6 inches. Does this require the frame to be c-notched?
I know some guys that dont notch the frame but they live with bottoming out (frame hits the axle) I think it should be since metal on metal is never a good thing and it would ride nicer with the notch
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
jaydelriotx

Could I just cut my coils in front and back and keep the stock spindles?
Posted via Mobile Device
jaydelriotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
footbraker

you can cut your coils. yes. Start with one coil and then go 1/2 coil at a time from there if it aint enough.

Today I ordered actual 3" drop springs for the front. My stock springs were heated and i didnt trust them, and the drop springs were only $20 more than stockers. For the rear I ordered 4" drop LEAF springs from GMCPauls. Also ordered belltech drop shocks.

I am gonna see how this looks. From there I will lower with spindles in front and shackles in rear. If I had rear coil springs, it woulda been so much easier.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
jaydelriotx

Cool Re: Best way to lower my 70 c10?

Quote:
you can cut your coils. yes. Start with one coil and then go 1/2 coil at a time from there if it aint enough.

Today I ordered actual 3" drop springs for the front. My stock springs were heated and i didnt trust them, and the drop springs were only $20 more than stockers. For the rear I ordered 4" drop LEAF springs from GMCPauls. Also ordered belltech drop shocks.

I am gonna see how this looks. From there I will lower with spindles in front and shackles in rear. If I had rear coil springs, it woulda been so much easier.
I'm just going to cut mine in half...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
footbraker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydelriotx View Post
I'm just going to cut mine in half...
Posted via Mobile Device
Please tell me u r kidding. If u do this, you may wanna plan a backup vehicle cuz you won't be driving this truck any time soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
jaydelriotx

Unhappy Re: Best way to lower my 70 c10?

Quote:
Please tell me u r kidding. If u do this, you may wanna plan a backup vehicle cuz you won't be driving this truck any time soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm jk...I'm curious tho..how much of a drop can I get without changing the spindles
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
footbraker

idk. im afraid to comment on that. Ive had a bunch of little s10 trucks where we have cut the front springs and lowered the front end 4". With spindles, it helps to keep all the front suspension in line and keep the same travel as stock. But with drop springs, or cut springs. Anyone thats really good at aligning vehicles should be able to get the alignment right. My old truck had cut front coils and was 4" dropped in front and I didnt have any trouble. I dont know how much was cut tho. (1971 c10)
Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
jaydelriotx

Quote:
idk. im afraid to comment on that. Ive had a bunch of little s10 trucks where we have cut the front springs and lowered the front end 4". With spindles, it helps to keep all the front suspension in line and keep the same travel as stock. But with drop springs, or cut springs. Anyone thats really good at aligning vehicles should be able to get the alignment right. My old truck had cut front coils and was 4" dropped in front and I didnt have any trouble. I dont know how much was cut tho. (1971 c10)
I should probably.get lowered springs and spindles in a kit....I was just trying to keep it cheap
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
footbraker

m 3" springs were $120. I figure, if it isnt enough drop then I can get spindles later on to go from 1" to 2.5" more. The rear leafs were $425, and later I can get shackles to go another 1"-2" which 5-6" will be more than enough for the rear.

I am hoping 3" front and 4" rear does the trick and looks good.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
jaydelriotx

Quote:
m 3" springs were $120. I figure, if it isnt enough drop then I can get spindles later on to go from 1" to 2.5" more. The rear leafs were $425, and later I can get shackles to go another 1"-2" which 5-6" will be more than enough for the rear.

I am hoping 3" front and 4" rear does the trick and looks good.
Yea I think it'll look good. I might just get those springs and no spindles..n try it..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #18
kitbash

some of these posts scare the crap out of me.

budget lowering is fine but stop cutting springs. springs are heat treated metal which have perches engineered into each side to " fit " the vehicle they were intended for.

i have seen too many idiots come into my shop with a spring end snapped off and rubbing on a brake line or another suspension part because someone thought it was a good idea to use a torch to cut them.

lowering springs are not that much and you can find lowering spindles on ebay for about 120 a pair

if you cant afford the basics, please dont endanger your life or the lives of others on the road by trying short cuts
kitbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #19
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbash View Post
some of these posts scare the crap out of me.

budget lowering is fine but stop cutting springs. springs are heat treated metal which have perches engineered into each side to " fit " the vehicle they were intended for.

i have seen too many idiots come into my shop with a spring end snapped off and rubbing on a brake line or another suspension part because someone thought it was a good idea to use a torch to cut them.

lowering springs are not that much and you can find lowering spindles on ebay for about 120 a pair

if you cant afford the basics, please dont endanger your life or the lives of others on the road by trying short cuts
I agree, you make a good point--to a point. Cutting can be done safely on the front of these trucks, if you do an entire coil, no more no less. It will align properly in the a-arm this way. The $120 spindles are a crapshoot, having been known to catastrophically lose the stub.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote