The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
vikingsandpintos

Need maximum leg room... Bench seat?

Another post for my daughters new project...

67 C10, someone has put some bucket seats in it, on top of some tall homemade mounts.

I am 6'7", and my daughter is close to 6" already, and she is about to turn 15! lol

I cannot drive the truck. I can't bend my leg enough to hit the brake pedal! She can, but is cramped. She wants a bench seat anyway, and I can get a stock bench in decent condition. Any of you tall drivers out there have enough leg room with a stock bench, or am I going to need to re-think this?

I am going to shorten the steering column, looks like there is plenty of room to go in towards the dash, as I have read on here about how to do that. But the seat has me worried, after I tried to unload it off the trailer last night!! Any thoughts appreciated, thank you! Earl
vikingsandpintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
BigBen702

Re: Need maximum leg room... Bench seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsandpintos View Post

67 C10, someone has put some bucket seats in it, on top of some tall homemade mounts.

I am 6'7", and my daughter is close to 6" already, and she is about to turn 15! lol

I cannot drive the truck. I can't bend my leg enough to hit the brake pedal! She can, but is cramped. She wants a bench seat anyway, and I can get a stock bench in decent condition. Any of you tall drivers out there have enough leg room with a stock bench, or am I going to need to re-think this?

I am going to shorten the steering column, looks like there is plenty of room to go in towards the dash, as I have read on here about how to do that. But the seat has me worried, after I tried to unload it off the trailer last night!! Any thoughts appreciated, thank you! Earl

Im 6'6" and I am using the stock bench and drive ok with it. I did install a tilt steering column in my 70 stepside. I may in the future get the seats redone and remove some of the foam on the bench seat. My wife states I look huge in the truck haha
BigBen702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

My truck was bought new off the lot in 1972 by my dad. My dad is 5'11", so he's nearly the height of your daughter. The bench seat served him fine for the 20 years he drove the truck.

Bench seats aren't really heavy but they would be very awkward to try and move alone.....it's one of the few things I've needed help removing and putting back in.

Bench seats come up for sale here on the forum (parts forum) from time to time and members find them on Craigslist. I'm sure you'll find something. Do you want headrests or no?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsandpintos View Post

Newer seats from a wrecked newer chevy!!! thats what mine is, bench seats with a fold down counsel.

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
vikingsandpintos

I don't believe it matters to her about headrests or not. Are the newer truck seats any lower or thinner backed, to give more room? I'm sure I would have to drill some new holes, which is fine. I did that in my Pinto (Don't judge me!! lol ), with me being 6'7", I moved the seat back 8". NOBODY can sit behind me, the back of the seat almost touches the front of the rear seat! But at least I can drive it now!!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
joeydurango

I'm 6'2" and lanky, and have no trouble driving my truck with the factory bench seat. But I do look through the top of the windshield...

The bench seats can be removed/hauled/installed by one person. But it's not easy.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Ironangel

If the gas tank has been relocated, you can gain more leg room with either buckets or a bench. Might want to seal them extra holes in the floor while your at it...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
57larry

Cool Re: Need maximum leg room... Bench seat?

I'm 5 foot 6 inches and have no trouble
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

I'm a bit fearful of a rear-ending resulting in bad whiplash since I don't have headrests, but I also don't want to get rid of my bench seat.

My seat is over-padded though, to the point that I am looking through the top part of the windshield.......it was reupholstered in 1990 and they rather over did it. In fact, it's nearly impossible to get my legs under the steering wheel, that's how bad it is.

I'll get it worked on later, after the truck is running, and I'm thinking about going with a Highlander type of plaid seat cover. I think that would look killer.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #10
ratty69

You may want to consider the bench from an 88-94 Chevy truck. The way the base is, you can cut it down and reweld it to be much lower than stock. The front hole in the base lines up with the existing front outer hole in the floor. They also come in several configurations with or w/out headrests, split bench, armrest, etc.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
rsgt

Here is my seat, it is a 99 Chevy. Found in the basic standard cab trucks. I had it reupholstered. It sits a little lower. The bottom cushion is flatter than an original seat and back is thinner. I like it better than the original seat. I am 6 ft. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #12
TwoFiftyShifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
I'm 6'2" and lanky, and have no trouble driving my truck with the factory bench seat. But I do look through the top of the windshield...

The bench seats can be removed/hauled/installed by one person. But it's not easy.
Hand truck?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
joeydurango

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
Hand truck?
I wish. Nope, just unbolted it, wedged myself in the cab, and hefted that sucker out of there, doors still on and everything. Carried it to the front porch. Reupholstered it, then put it back in. Couldn't find anyone to help me that day. Kind of awkward and heavy, but I was determined to get it done, help or no...
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
indymachinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgt View Post
Here is my seat, it is a 99 Chevy. Found in the basic standard cab trucks. I had it reupholstered. It sits a little lower. The bottom cushion is flatter than an original seat and back is thinner. I like it better than the original seat. I am 6 ft. Hope it helps.
You found that in a 99? That is my favorite newer bench seat. I thought it was in the really low trim later year 88-97 trucks though.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #15
rsgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymachinist View Post
You found that in a 99? That is my favorite newer bench seat. I thought it was in the really low trim later year 88-97 trucks though.
Curt, I have a 2000 model chevy 2500 truck with the same seat. That is how I knew I wanted that seat in my 72 truck.
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
Overdriven

I'm almost 6'3" and my 67 is a 3 on the tree with stock bench, stock steering wheel. I'd like a little more room like most tall people, gotta bend my knees pretty good for the brake/clutch and they get close to the wheel. In my opinion I wouldn't shorten the column, that moves the wheel closer to your legs making you want to lower the seat. Lower the seat and now your knees will be bent more. It's all up to you, but I'd advise doing some careful planning and evaluating.

The plan for my truck is to get a smaller diameter wheel and do some work on the pedals. Seen some guys cut, bend then resell the pedals and will be doing something similar. Also saw someone modify the floor/firewall for more legroom but that was with a custom frame. Looked under my truck briefly and looks like I can gain some room, not sure how much and if it'll be worth the effort yet though.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #17
Ruscal

I have a friend who is 6'-10" that had one of these trucks. He looked like he was driving a kiddie car! His truck had fiberglass buckets with very little padding. I am only 5'-11" and feel cramped in my truck. My arms are long, 6'-5" span, so I shortened the column. That put the wheel closer to my legs, so needed a flat bottomed wheel to make it easier to get in and out. I now have a tilt column, but would like to go back to non tilt if I can. My tilt column has an automatic column shifter and indicator which I don't need for my manual trans. Your daughter's legs are probably way longer than mine, so you will need to have a very thin seat back to get her hips back as far as possible. An upholstery shop may be able to thin out a OEM seatback a few inches, and still have some padding and a good appearance.
Russ
Old 10-13-2016, 01:37 AM   #18
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Wow, I like that! Bench seat with headrests. Top shelf!
Old 10-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
vikingsandpintos

Wow, thanks for all the replies! There were a couple of things brought up that I hadn't thought of, such as shortening the column would move the wheel down, ect...

I think the plan is to remove the current seats, and cut off the mounts they made. I can get a decent bench seat at work (I manage a salvage yard), and will see what it is like for her. I can bring it back if it doesn't work out. I will look closely at moving the column, and as was suggested I may look at cutting/welding the brake pedal. It is a manual truck, but will be switching it to automatic before she starts driving it.

I first bought a 71 GMC to re-do for her, that is complete but needs a lot of work. Then I came across this 67 Chevy that is MUCH better! Just the Chevy is manual everything, and the GMC is power steering/brakes and automatic. Gonna do some switching around, then selling the GMC. Going to put them in the garage soon to get started!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
big mike71

I used to haul cereal out of Battle Creek, I'm 6'4" and have a factory bench with no problems
Old 10-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #21
firedemon

I keep thinking hightower from police academy that's what I feel like anyway lol
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #22
88fordf150

I moved my steering column forward as far as I could and cut off an inch off my clutch and brake pedal. Feels much better now!!
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
I really don't like "modern" seats in our trucks, especially with head rests. But I do get the idea of having a head rest.

I really like this seat though (you guys always screw with my head stuck in the sand biases lol) I can see it upholstered with a period looking cover and the head rests maybe halved. That would make it a more period looking, but more comfortable than a stock seat in my book.

Thanks for posting up this pic!
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #24
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty69 View Post
You may want to consider the bench from an 88-94 Chevy truck. The way the base is, you can cut it down and reweld it to be much lower than stock. The front hole in the base lines up with the existing front outer hole in the floor. They also come in several configurations with or w/out headrests, split bench, armrest, etc.
This is the bench I'm using. I'm also 6' 3" tall so it gives me plenty of room. I also cut a little over an inch out of my base and welded it back together.
Attached Images

aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote