The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Jerrybigbird

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

So i got a question ...my 64 c10 has manual brakes and factory power steering ..and my 79 donor truck has manual brakes and steering by armstrong . If i swap crossmembers do i have to swap steering gears to?
Jerrybigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrybigbird View Post
So i got a question ...my 64 c10 has manual brakes and factory power steering ..and my 79 donor truck has manual brakes and steering by armstrong . If i swap crossmembers do i have to swap steering gears to?
Short answer is no. In reality, you do not even have to swap cross members. To get disc brakes, you just really only need to swap ball joints to match the spindle you are using and use a tie rod adapter sleeve to use the correct tie rod for the spindle you use.

The only difference between the cross members is the holes for the u-bolts that hold the lower arm in place. The later model uses a larger diameter u-bolt. If you are swapping to the later a-arms to get the rubber bushings versus the steel ones, then you can easily drill out those 8 holes to the correct size for the later model u-bolts. I think they are 9/16" dia...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can keep your factory '64 power steering if you want to, but you will have to purchase those aluminum tie rod adapter sleeves to be able to connect your original draglink to the spindles.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Jerrybigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Short answer is no. In reality, you do not even have to swap cross members. To get disc brakes, you just really only need to swap ball joints to match the spindle you are using and use a tie rod adapter sleeve to use the correct tie rod for the spindle you use.

The only difference between the cross members is the holes for the u-bolts that hold the lower arm in place. The later model uses a larger diameter u-bolt. If you are swapping to the later a-arms to get the rubber bushings versus the steel ones, then you can easily drill out those 8 holes to the correct size for the later model u-bolts. I think they are 9/16" dia...
Cool thanks
Jerrybigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
matthamby

Hey guys,

I am interested in this thread, I am only posting this info as a reference point (I don't know if this actually works or not, when I have read this whole thread I will remove any erroneous information), I have not read the whole thread as of yet, however, I will do that soon.

I saw this on a facebook feed that I wanted to tag and research - again I don't know if it is true - yet!

"Just buy the 71-87 disk brake spindles, bearings, calipers, hoses and then get the 6 lug rotors for a 88-98chevy light duty 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive."

Thanks for your patience!
matthamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:46 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are a couple of variations of using the '88-'98 LD2500 6 lug rotors that are discussed in this thread. Neither of which will work well without some serious work. While those rotors will physically mount to the spindles, the calipers and pads will not fit without extensive modification. For most people it is just not woirth the time and effort when you can buy the aftermarket 6 lug rotors that fit both the factory '73-'87 spindles as well as most all aftermarket dropped spindles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthamby View Post
Hey guys,

I am interested in this thread, I am only posting this info as a reference point (I don't know if this actually works or not, when I have read this whole thread I will remove any erroneous information), I have not read the whole thread as of yet, however, I will do that soon.

I saw this on a facebook feed that I wanted to tag and research - again I don't know if it is true - yet!

"Just buy the 71-87 disk brake spindles, bearings, calipers, hoses and then get the 6 lug rotors for a 88-98chevy light duty 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive."

Thanks for your patience!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
matthamby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
There are a couple of variations of using the '88-'98 LD2500 6 lug rotors that are discussed in this thread. Neither of which will work well without some serious work. While those rotors will physically mount to the spindles, the calipers and pads will not fit without extensive modification. For most people it is just not woirth the time and effort when you can buy the aftermarket 6 lug rotors that fit both the factory '73-'87 spindles as well as most all aftermarket dropped spindles.
Well, dang! I was really looking for something that I could go to the parts store and get replacements readily available - converting to 5-lug is just not an option I want. it appears that i'll just have to stick with ordering an extra set to have on hand, and order the set after replacing the pads.

when I have more time I will read through this thread as I'm sure the answers I am looking for are most likely here.
matthamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Believe me I was also hoping to be able to source the 6 lug rotors locally also. When I found the old thread about using the '88-'98 LD 2500 spindles rotors and calipers, I thought I had found what I had been hoping for. But after a couple other members tried it and could not get the correct camber during an alignment, I began to have second thoughts. I may still give it a try someday, but I'm thinking that a set of custom tubular uper control arms, shorter than stock may be necessary.