The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
willy12844

wood bed

I'm in the process of sanding the planks that make up the bed in my c-10 short bed.
Can anyone give me a good brand name outdoor varnish to use on after I stain it.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.....
Old 12-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: wood bed

You'd be best off painting it. Any varnish you use is going to have to be redone every couple of years due to the UV rays from the sun beating it up.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

If I recall correctly I used 5 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane and am pleased. As stated above, paint is probably more durable, but my truck will hopefully never see rain again.

There's lots of good info on Mar-K's website. Wood finish test results, application of finish coats, etc. Here's a link:
http://www.mar-k.com/index.php?p=tips-and-tricks

Look at their Wood Finish Suggestions, Wood Finish Testing Information I and II, Final Wood Test 2007 and Wood Test Update 2010.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
OregonNed

I used Epiphanes varnish - very pleased with results.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:25 AM   #5
Trevor

Excuse the long answer but;
KBS Diamond Finish Clear Coat, THE best clear coat finish for ext. wood - PERIOD !
It's a little-known secret for wood, but it's the only thing I consider now (I've tried everything else on the planet but nothing, even spar varnish, lasts worth a damn).

I'm working on a wagon (pull cart) for a mountain-town non-profit group I volunteer for (thousands and thousands of people will see it every year) and it's the only thing I'd consider using for it (pine stake sides and floor boards)
as this little 'work-of-functioning-art' will spend most of it's time outside (carrying event supplies, tables, chairs etc.), and I sure don't want to have to go back there just to strip and recoat it - over and over.

Look at the Mar-K test and note how the POR15 worked out, this KBS clear coat is basically a clear (and in my opinion, better) version of POR15 stuff.

It's expensive because you'll need at least 2-quarts of it (MUST do ALL surfaces, top, bottom, sides and ends) but if you ask me, well worth it.
If you go this route, I have a bunch of important tips, learned the hard way over many projects, just let me know and I'll pass them along.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:46 AM   #6
Cbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Excuse the long answer but;
KBS Diamond Finish Clear Coat, THE best clear coat finish for ext. wood - PERIOD !
It's a little-known secret for wood, but it's the only thing I consider now (I've tried everything else on the planet but nothing, even spar varnish, lasts worth a damn).

I'm working on a wagon (pull cart) for a mountain-town non-profit group I volunteer for (thousands and thousands of people will see it every year) and it's the only thing I'd consider using for it (pine stake sides and floor boards)
as this little 'work-of-functioning-art' will spend most of it's time outside (carrying event supplies, tables, chairs etc.), and I sure don't want to have to go back there just to strip and recoat it - over and over.

Look at the Mar-K test and note how the POR15 worked out, this KBS clear coat is basically a clear (and in my opinion, better) version of POR15 stuff.

It's expensive because you'll need at least 2-quarts of it (MUST do ALL surfaces, top, bottom, sides and ends) but if you ask me, well worth it.
If you go this route, I have a bunch of important tips, learned the hard way over many projects, just let me know and I'll pass them along.
Please indulge us with your tips!
Cbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #7
GR8-68

And you can buy it at summit racing when you order the parts for your 350

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ish-clear-coat

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Shinysideup

Check out the car shows and you will see why trying to varnish a wood that shouldnt see exterior use will fail. Use a wood suitable for the task like teak, iroko,ipe etc. They only require "teak oil" to look great.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
willy12844

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
I used Epiphanes varnish - very pleased with results.
thank you OregonNed,
I have a question if you don't mind. Would you tell me what the name of the blue color you have on your truck or the paint code? I bought my truck and the people didn't anything about it, and I can't do any repair until I know. your trucks blue looks just like mine.
if you'd rather email me my address is twincam88ci@hotmail.com
Thanking you in advance......

Bill (willy12844)
Old 12-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
88Stanger

i used Spar Varnish. Spar Varnish. This is quote from a notable wood site: "...the name “spar varnish” comes from the boating world, where the long wooden poles that support the sails are know as spars. So a spar varnish needs to be one that can withstand the rigorous conditions of seafaring life." It is made for handling tough conditions, even UV. just a thought.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
OregonNed

willy12844 - I feel your pain! I had the same dilemma, and ultimately had to get my color scanned at a paint shop for getting the inner besides and all the inner fenders and wheel housings repainted. I've been told it is close to two colors - Corvette Nasau Blue, and bright blue metallic. I have a little left over, but no means to spray any on a sample card to send you. Might be able to brush some onto a card to send you if you want to get it scanned.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:55 PM   #12
custom10nut

Have you considered Boiled Linseed Oil and Stain?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
trkfrk

I used Messmer's with UV protection. I'm really happy with it.
Attached Images

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
GRX

The oak planks in my long stepper get hit with steel wool & two coats of one step PolyShades every other spring. Not really worried about finish as I use it as a truck - to haul things.