The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #1
hdff

Radio Install Question

I have a stock radio that came with my truck when I bought it. It was not installed. here are the parts that came with it , what order do they go in when installing? there are 2 nuts, that silver piece and the knob. Where does the dash fit in??

thanks
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: Radio Install Question

radio, nut, dashboard, nut, silver piece, black knob

you adjust how deep the radio sits in the dash with the the two nuts
(obviously, you adjust both sides equally)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
radio, nut, dashboard, nut, silver piece, black knob

you adjust how deep the radio sits in the dash with the the two nuts
(obviously, you adjust both sides equally)
that's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks

is the only thing that keeps the silver thing tight the knob?

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Mine wasn't installed either, but this is information I've gathered. TS= truck side

Appears the wire from the fuse box to the radio should be routed above the column support bracket.

The speaker bracket slips over the bottom of the speaker. Correct positioning is the tab at the end of the bracket faces up and toward the front of the truck. Correct positioning of the speaker is the wire connections are on the RH (TS).

The radio/speaker bracket mounts to the firewall behind the center A/C vent using two 3/8" head notched thread screws. The thread on these is 1/4" x 5/8". The bottom of the bracket has a hole (and u-nut) for mounting the speaker.

Attach the short end of the radio strap to the RH (TS) of radio/speaker bracket using a 3/8" head tap screw and U-nut. The screw thread is 1/4" x 5/8". Don't tighten until after the radio is mounted.

Slip the tab on the speaker bracket into the slot in the radio/speaker bracket. Attach the speaker bracket to the radio/speaker bracket using one 3/8" head tap screw and U-nut. The screw thread is 1/4" x 1/2". Ensure the speaker is as far forward as possible for clearance of the center A/C vent assembly. NOTE: The speaker dimensions are 4 3/4" x 10 1/2".

Attach the long end of the radio strap to the small bracket on back of the radio using one 3/8" head tap screw and U-nut. The screw thread is 1/4" x 1/2".

Radio Controls Assembly: 5/8" nut > "Spacer" > 5/8" nut > Dial (chrome) > Knob. Notes: The largest hole in the spacer faces up. The "rough" dial is for the LH (TS) (i.e., volume). The smooth dial is for the RH (TS) (i.e., tuner).
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
trucks72
trucks72

You are missing 2 cups that go into the hole before the nuts. I can not see them in the picture. They may be there, just can not see them.
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #6
trucks72
trucks72

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 10.02.36 PM.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  29.2 KB
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucks72 View Post
You are missing 2 cups that go into the hole before the nuts. I can not see them in the picture. They may be there, just can not see them.
well crap... so the order would be nut, dash, cup piece, nut, silver piece and knob? I assume that these cup pieces are not sold aftermarket so what are they called so I can try to find some in the for sale section? what do these pieces do and are they needed to make everything fit up right? if anyone has 2 that they want to sell pm me please.....

Old 12-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucks72 View Post
Trucks72 is right, sorry I missed them (spoke without thinking, gets me in trouble all the time!)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
well crap... so the order would be nut, dash, cup piece, nut, silver piece and knob? I assume that these cup pieces are not sold aftermarket so what are they called so I can try to find some in the for sale section? what do these pieces do and are they needed to make everything fit up right? if anyone has 2 that they want to sell pm me please.....
Radio Controls Assembly: 5/8" nut > "Spacer" > 5/8" nut > Dial (chrome) > Knob. Notes: The largest hole in the spacer faces up. The "rough" dial is for the LH (TS) (i.e., volume). The smooth dial is for the RH (TS) (i.e., tuner).

The "spacer" is the cups 72 referred to. Yes, you need all these parts so it fits/works correctly. Don't know what the proper name is, but look at Ebay for 72ish "AM truck radio OEM". I looked last night but didn't see any of them separately. Worst case scenario is you have to buy an entire radio with the "cups". You might find one cheap. Another option is the wrecking yard. Another option is post it on the parts board with the picture 72 provided.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Vic the Chick

I have the same situation and am looking for the cups and silver pieces. Were you able to find them and if so, would you please share your source?
Posted via Mobile Device
Vic the Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Radio Install Question

Make sure you support the back side of that thing to the under side of the dash. That tank will break those knobs right off after a few weeks in the truck!
The center speaker mounts was used for support when new.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
Vic the Chick

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I found a set and they're on their way! Next up-A/C retrofit...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic the Chick View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. I found a set and they're on their way! Next up-A/C retrofit...
Posted via Mobile Device
gad to see you found some, I found mine on the auction site...

what are your plans for your ac retrofit??? I just refurbished my stock set up

Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
Vic the Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
gad to see you found some, I found mine on the auction site...

what are your plans for your ac retrofit??? I just refurbished my stock set up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
Vic the Chick

My '72 farm truck did not come with stock a/c and the previous owner was all about function and not form. I am going to remove the existing monster under dash model and look into a cleaner "under the hood" fix. I am just beginning to research the possibilities.

Any words of wisdom?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic the Chick View Post
My '72 farm truck did not come with stock a/c and the previous owner was all about function and not form. I am going to remove the existing monster under dash model and look into a cleaner "under the hood" fix. I am just beginning to research the possibilities.

Any words of wisdom?
Posted via Mobile Device
it's a little work but you would probably be best with an after market ac like vintage air, also talk to benny at F.A.A Benny here or on FB, he is the one that refurbed mine and is very knowledgeable. also there is a ton of info on this forum.

I also see by your post count that you are new here so let me be the first to say ....... and just an fyi, we like pics here so show us what ya got...

keith