The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
dgheinen

Help Finding an Engine Harness!

So I bought this truck about a week ago, and I have already destroyed the engine harness due to an electrical fire. I know, I'm so mad I want to bash my head into a wall.

I swapped my externally regulated alternator with a new internally regulated one, and everything was running great! At all RPMs the voltage was steady and perfect. However, when I bought the truck, it had one of those cheesy "steel braided" dress up kits on all the hoses, and the hose running to the heater core shorted out the two wires on the (new) alternator, and caused my wiring harness to melt about 16" up from the alternator and about 10" up from the old regulator connector.

I'm looking at LMC and their harnesses, but I don't know what I need exactly. The dash harness is fine, most of the engine harness is actually okay, just near the alternator and the regulator connector. But my truck was originally a 6 cylinder, and it now has a 350 with an HEI distributor. LMC has harnesses for just about everything, but I don't know if I should get a 6 cyl harness or just order a V8 harness. It's an automatic tranny. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance.

Damon
dgheinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
dgheinen

Re: Help Finding an Engine Harness!

I decided to go with an American Autowire #22490PI harness. It was a dollar more than the LMC one (after shipping) and has already been converted to my new alternator style. I've heard that their instructions are the best, too. I hope it all works out

As far as the old harness goes, I can definitely send it to you. I'm not sure how original it is, but you're more than welcome to have it
dgheinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgheinen View Post
So I bought this truck about a week ago, and I have already destroyed the engine harness due to an electrical fire. I know, I'm so mad I want to bash my head into a wall.

I swapped my externally regulated alternator with a new internally regulated one, and everything was running great! At all RPMs the voltage was steady and perfect. However, when I bought the truck, it had one of those cheesy "steel braided" dress up kits on all the hoses, and the hose running to the heater core shorted out the two wires on the (new) alternator, and caused my wiring harness to melt about 16" up from the alternator and about 10" up from the old regulator connector.

I'm looking at LMC and their harnesses, but I don't know what I need exactly. The dash harness is fine, most of the engine harness is actually okay, just near the alternator and the regulator connector. But my truck was originally a 6 cylinder, and it now has a 350 with an HEI distributor. LMC has harnesses for just about everything, but I don't know if I should get a 6 cyl harness or just order a V8 harness. It's an automatic tranny. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance.

Damon
Try M&H. Brothers and other vendors sell their stuff.
Perfect match for factory connectors, right color codes, USA-made. Builder puts his name on each piece. Not the cheapest, just the best.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
davepl

M&H all the way. Recommended...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote