The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Truck I want, advice needed

I want a 64-66 truck just because. I want it for my honey business (beekeeper) so the shop truck patina look. I found this truck and I like it but after reading here I wonder if it is lowered to much to drive. It's 6/8 static. He said the trar was new but it needed new front coils. Here's a link to add. I offered him 5500 but haven't heard back yet. I know I'll have to change the tires and was thinking about wheels too but that might make it worse? Don't want to big of a project truck because of time and the amount driven. Thanks Charlie

https://billings.craigslist.org/cto/6074419536.html
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Truck I want, advice needed

I would run it like it is, however I would definitely look at the welding work done before I shake hands. If there isn't good welds and birds mouth on the frame then I would walk away. Also be ready to put bags on the back, I know those bee houses can be heavy to carry.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Pinchecharlie

I was wondering about the conversion. So you don't just cut the bed but you shorten the frame too huh? Seems easy enough to do but I get not wanting to hack it together. He said 6 was lowest he would go? If I had to go through the chassis- spindles and springs ect ect. How much would I be looking at? 1500-2500? Thanks Charlie
Old 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
oem4me

A good inspection is in order. Extent of rust and quality of work done are key. Appears to be a decent truck with a fair amount of effort already into it. If it checks out ok, the seller won't have to dip much (if at all) on his price.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Pinchecharlie

Got him to 5500 and going to see tomorrow. Wish me luck that it's not a hack job/mis leading add. Hope it works out, I've wanted one of these forever
Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
hewittca

Yes, a shortbed conversion includes shortening the bed (you can see the two vertical seams on the bedsides where he shortened them) and shortening the frame accordingly. On the rear, you just cut off the extra length, but in front of the rear wheels you need to take out a 12" section from the frame because a shortbed has a shorter wheel base. I would inspect how he did it very closely. Most guys do a staggered cut and then add a fish plate or box the frame for added strength. There are tons of build threads detailing the process.

I'm wondering why it needs new springs. In the ad he says it has CPP springs. I can't imagine how those could go "bad" under normal conditions. Maybe the ad meant only the rear has new springs. If he says it needs new fronts, most likely they are the stock springs with 1.5-2 coils cut out, which is a lot. I figure this since it would have to have drop spindles (2.5") and the rest of the 6" in spring drop. Either way, replacing the springs isn't a big deal. I think a 6/8 drop is plenty driveable but could always be raised up a few inches with new springs if you didn't like it.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Yes, a shortbed conversion includes shortening the bed (you can see the two vertical seams on the bedsides where he shortened them) and shortening the frame accordingly. On the rear, you just cut off the extra length, but in front of the rear wheels you need to take out a 12" section from the frame because a shortbed has a shorter wheel base. I would inspect how he did it very closely. Most guys do a staggered cut and then add a fish plate or box the frame for added strength. There are tons of build threads detailing the process.

I'm wondering why it needs new springs. In the ad he says it has CPP springs. I can't imagine how those could go "bad" under normal conditions. Maybe the ad meant only the rear has new springs. If he says it needs new fronts, most likely they are the stock springs with 1.5-2 coils cut out, which is a lot. I figure this since it would have to have drop spindles (2.5") and the rest of the 6" in spring drop. Either way, replacing the springs isn't a big deal. I think a 6/8 drop is plenty driveable but could always be raised up a few inches with new springs if you didn't like it.
Yeah he said the fronts where old backs all new. I looked at builds and it would be easy to do right the first time. Don't know about the second time especially if it was somehow to short lol. If I buy it , I have plans for tires and wheels and knowing me I'll fix anything and everything that it needs. As long as iam under 10k finished and fun I'll be happy. Here's a car iam doing that I sub frameframes, know what's involved but just don't want a full on project lol. Thanks for replies I appreciate it alot.charlie
Old 04-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
hewittca

Provided the drivetrain is sound and you don't plan on fixing any of the body issues (like the rust in the fenders), you should have enough to do some decent changes within that $10K budget. If you're changing wheels too, those 16" wheels are worth something to give you a little kick back.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
scoot_mcgrute

A 6/8 drop is still very driveable. I have a 5.5/7 on mine and there's still room to go lower when I can afford coilovers. Gotta remember that these trucks sat really tall, even in 2wd form, so it would take a lot of drop to create an undriveable pickup.

That being said, it doesn't look to me to have a 6/8 drop, it looks more like a 4/6 to me. He's got 31" tires and I have 29" tires but it seems that mine is quite a bit lower than that one but it's hard to tell for sure.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
Pinchecharlie

Yeah just what it says is all I know but I think you are right about that? I just want it I guess and of course that clouds your judgement lol. There's so many for next to nothing here but usually 3/4 Tom and really worked. I don't mind a weekend fix here or there but that's about it till it snows I guess? But to stay married better to not spend to much lol. Here's my car project so you can tell how carried away I get!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
Pinchecharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot_mcgrute View Post
A 6/8 drop is still very driveable. I have a 5.5/7 on mine and there's still room to go lower when I can afford coilovers. Gotta remember that these trucks sat really tall, even in 2wd form, so it would take a lot of drop to create an undriveable pickup.

That being said, it doesn't look to me to have a 6/8 drop, it looks more like a 4/6 to me. He's got 31" tires and I have 29" tires but it seems that mine is quite a bit lower than that one but it's hard to tell for sure.
Should have said before that your truck is awsome!!!!
Just what I want! Nice!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
hotrodder

I would really like to have that gun rack !!!!!!
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #13
Pinchecharlie

Is it still legal to drive around with a rifle in a rack? Jeez I remember when there where alot of guns in Windows. Montana's still real gun friendly lol. The racks hard to find? Maybe we can trade if I get it?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
scoot_mcgrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Should have said before that your truck is awsome!!!!
Just what I want! Nice!
Thank you very much, I appreciate it. It's been a fun journey with the old girl for sure