The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #26
'70_402

Re: Can anyone with a six lug show me pics of your rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Sounds like your daughter has already narrowed down what kind of wheel she wants, but steel wheels are an option too. There is quite a range of sizes available, including these 22" Transit wheels. They are shipping wheels for newer GM trucks and are fairly cheap if you can find someone with a set (I know some people with them).

How much drop can you go with those wheels and not have to modify your wheel wells/tubs?
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #27
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70_402 View Post
How much drop can you go with those wheels and not have to modify your wheel wells/tubs?
Well, none to be specific. They come with 6" backspace which will not fit on the rear of these trucks. Some guys run 2" spacers (no thanks), but I chose to cut the wheel apart and reweld it with 4" backspace. Provided you either run spacers or change the rear backspace, you can run these on any common static drop setup without modifying the wheel wells. If you're going to bag the truck, some modifications will be necessary, but that's true for most wheel setups.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #28
nastety92

Quote:
Well, none to be specific. They come with 6" backspace which will not fit on the rear of these trucks. Some guys run 2" spacers (no thanks), but I chose to cut the wheel apart and reweld it with 4" backspace. Provided you either run spacers or change the rear backspace, you can run these on any common static drop setup without modifying the wheel wells. If you're going to bag the truck, some modifications will be necessary, but that's true for most wheel setups.
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the wheels? Did you look at the Detroit Steel wheels at all? To me that seems like a lot of work to go through when you could of purchased wheels with the correct offset for $900-1000 for the set.
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #29
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the wheels? Did you look at the Detroit Steel wheels at all? To me that seems like a lot of work to go through when you could of purchased wheels with the correct offset for $900-1000 for the set.
That is very true, and in an ideal world I would have bought the Detroits but my truck is on a shoe string budget so I had to compromise. On top of modifying the backspacing, you also have to bore out the center hole because it's smaller than what's on the old GM trucks. If you can do both of those mods yourself, however, you will be into a set of these for less than half of what those Detroits cost, and you don't have to wait months for them to show up like you do for the Detroits. I'm a DIY kinda guy, so these were a no brainer for me.
-
Old 04-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
nastety92

Quote:
That is very true, and in an ideal world I would have bought the Detroits but my truck is on a shoe string budget so I had to compromise. On top of modifying the backspacing, you also have to bore out the center hole because it's smaller than what's on the old GM trucks. If you can do both of those mods yourself, however, you will be into a set of these for less than half of what those Detroits cost, and you don't have to wait months for them to show up like you do for the Detroits. I'm a DIY kinda guy, so these were a no brainer for me.
Yeah if you paid $300-500 for them I could see putting in the work if you could do it all yourself. I still think the Detroit Steel wheels sell at a very good price point for what they are. One day I will have a set on my truck with old school GMC hubcaps.
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #31
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastety92 View Post
Yeah if you paid $300-500 for them I could see putting in the work if you could do it all yourself. I still think the Detroit Steel wheels sell at a very good price point for what they are. One day I will have a set on my truck with old school GMC hubcaps.
My set was $699, but I've seen them cheaper since I bought mine. To get a set of Detroits in the same size, it would be closer to $1200.
-
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #32
Kw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMonger View Post
Here are some torque thrusts on my 70
Love those and have not found them in the 6 lug. Sorry don't mean to high jack another members thread but where can I get those in a 6 lug? Thanks