The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
Dave K.

67 and 68 Cab Differences?

I recall seeing something here about the differences between the 67 and 68 cab differences. Could someone here enlighten me a bit on these? I believe they were minor but I wanted to check in.

Thanks, Dave.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: 67 and 68 Cab Differences?

The 67 is the last small window Chevy pick up , the ignition hole on the 67 is smaller , the 67 astray has a thinner face , the 67 glove box door is different ,a lot of the 67's came with 1 visor , seat belts . 67 vent windows are 1 year only , 67 seat folds forward ,67 dash bezel 1 year only with wipers on left and choke on right .67 air control always black faced,67 rear view mirror and mount different, 67 only inner and outer door handles ,67 dash knobs are smaller ,lower vent handles are flat , 67 uses the earlier core support mounts , no side markers on the 67 etc ... the 67 is a special truck for many reasons being the 1st of the model design some parts carried over from the 66 design and some 67 items can be found on the early 68's
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
tutone

I know there is more, but the option of course for a choice of rear window size went away, the doors had some differences like splines and handles. I have a later pass door on my 67 and the roll up handle wont interchange with the org door on the drivers side. The vent window handle is different and of course the foot rest e-brake on the 67. Don't know if the rear view mirror was different by then, but I just put a 71 mirror on mine and had to drill new holes. maybe somebody else can help you with more differences.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
tutone

Sorry. Grumpy, we were typing at the same time.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Sorry. Grumpy, we were typing at the same time.
Hey it's all good ,I can't remember everything , all my trucks are 67's and I can relate to the 68's But I really wouldn't be able to tell anyone the differences as the model progressed .. I have a hard enough time remembering what day it is
Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
NGN

It was the first of the best new generation of trucks to come, sorry the little fifty two year old kid in me made me do it lol . I believe the power steering was a one year only and the dog dish painted set of hubcaps .
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Zeroman

Grumpy is correct, there quite a few differences from 67 to 68, but not enough to keep you from using a 67 cab on a 68 truck.

I just finished a build where I put a 67 small window on my 70 short step because my original cab was too far gone.

The two major issues I had to overcome were finding a 67 ignition switch spacer and what to do about the emergency brake.

I eventually found an ignition switch adapter on the For Sale Board.

I did not want the 67 emergency brake lever, so I retrofitted my 70 emergency brake pedal assembly to the cab. There was some fire wall rework, but I like the way it turned out.

Replacement cabs are becoming more and more difficult to find, so take what you can get.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

"Replacement cabs are becoming more and more difficult to find, so take what you can get."

With rust free bare cabs hitting the $3,000.00 and above amount you have to decide if your a buyer or a builder . replacement sheet metal is cheap if you have the skills and equipment to rebuild one and the cost to buy decent equipment will top that $3,000.00 mark fast so are you building one or a dozen ? that should determine which way to go . if your only wanting to rebuild one that expensive equipment will get pretty dusty once your done .
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have a pretty gutted 67 cab. Sounds like I should take another look at it before I send it off to the scrappers. $$$$$ haha!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I have a pretty gutted 67 cab. Sounds like I should take another look at it before I send it off to the scrappers. $$$$$ haha!
Haha , It's 50 years old I think I read somewhere in the bible it's a sin to scrap 50 year old truck parts !

Set it on some roofing tin and cover it with a tarp in 5 years it will be worth $$$$
Old 07-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN View Post
It was the first of the best new generation of trucks to come, sorry the little fifty two year old kid in me made me do it lol . I believe the power steering was a one year only and the dog dish painted set of hubcaps .
Yeah, the 67 power steering is carried over from earlier, with that power cylinder that attaches to the steering linkage. I saw a complete setup at a pull-a-part 3-4 years ago. Should have got that, to sell.
I have 1-67 and 1-68. Found a GOOD 67 drivers door at a pull-a-part. Could NOT believe it!!! Finding any good drivers door for a 67-72 is a needle in a hay stack. A one year only 67 was pretty crazy. The pass side door was smashed...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote