The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
sawhite1

Split rim wheels

Does anybody work on split rims anymore? I've heard some truck stops will handle them but I don't know where to start. Are they even legal anymore? I'm thinking they probably don't meet DOT regs anyway. My old beast still has the factory split rims and I don't want to get rid of them if I don't have to. I needed new tires and wheels so I just got a set of cheap replacements in the meantime. If I can find a place to work on them I'd prefer that.

On a related note, has anyone done their own split rim work? I know the danger is in reseating the bead but wouldn't wrapping the wheel with chain eliminate most of the danger? It's been years since I worked in a tire shop and even then we weren't taking these jobs.

Anyone got insight?
sawhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: Split rim wheels

To do it safely, you need a tire cage. You might try a farm equipment place.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

There is less danger in a split rim than you think if the wheel and ring are clean as in sandblasted or like new condition. Lube the tire and rim well with tire lube before inflating and inflate with the split flat on the ground using a screw on adapter to the tube, regulate the inflow of air remotely, if you need to check the bead use a large mirror. Borrow a mirror from a door inside the house.
Changing a split rim tire is easy if you have the right tools or some decent pry bars.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

I have built many split ring wheels in my time. I wouldn't even touch it without the proper inflation extension hose and a cage.

People are just scarred to death to work on them, but if you are properly trained, it is not that big of a deal.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Borrow a mirror from a door inside the house.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
kx57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawhite1 View Post
Does anybody work on split rims anymore? I've heard some truck stops will handle them but I don't know where to start. Are they even legal anymore? I'm thinking they probably don't meet DOT regs anyway. My old beast still has the factory split rims and I don't want to get rid of them if I don't have to. I needed new tires and wheels so I just got a set of cheap replacements in the meantime. If I can find a place to work on them I'd prefer that.

On a related note, has anyone done their own split rim work? I know the danger is in reseating the bead but wouldn't wrapping the wheel with chain eliminate most of the danger? It's been years since I worked in a tire shop and even then we weren't taking these jobs.

Anyone got insight?
No one around here (Central Ontario, Canada) will touch them "on the books" to my knowledge.

Legislation here reads as follows:

(3) Whenever work is to be performed on a rubber tire with a split rim
wheel, a device shall be used to prevent injury to a worker.
(4) The device mentioned in subsection (3) is not required when
topping off the air pressure in a tire. R.R.O. 1980, Reg. 694, s. 102.

So it's pretty easy for a shop. Don't carry the "equipment". Then you can tell your customer "we can't legally do it, as we don't have the equipment required by law. Why don't you get a different rim?"

That way you get to sell new rims to the customer ($) and your 19 year old tech doesn't kill himself because he's not the brightest (less liability).

99% of people around here would swap to a different rim anyway...only people I've ever heard talking about it are the numbers-matching 100% correct restoration crowd....
kx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
mike16

I've done them. There are two types. one is a split rim and is used on 69 and later rims. they are easier to work on breaking down but are the ones more likely to blow apart.

the 68 and earlier two piece rims , the outer ring is not split and is a tougher beast to break down but not as prone to blow apart

regardless safety is important and a cage is a good idea. but if you dont have a cage you cane wrap a chain around the entire assembly several times, then place the rim assembly under the frame of your truck, with the split rim facing up and inflate it very carefully using an air valve that clamps to the stem of the tube. clamp it on, slide the rim under the frame and air it up while standing back about 10 feet. inflate it to about 10psi then very carefully whack around the outer rim a few times to see if it comes apart. Then if it does not blow apart at 10 psi Fill it to about 50 psi, go to lunch for an hour and then return, if the rim has not blown apart deflate it back to 35 psi or what every your tire pressure should be. remove it from under the truck frame, remove your chain and install it on the vehicle. drive the vehicle around making slow and moderate speed turns to the left and right. if it does not blow then its usually good

the biggest risk is reassembling rimes that have been damaged by muppets who dont know how to disassemble them to begin with. they usually tweek or bend the outer ring and thats what makes reassembly a bit dicey.

really over rated in terms of danger
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
72kool

I have worked on a lot of split rims for years in an ag shop. Actually changing them is not very hard usually. You will get a stubborn one occasionally.

The danger is when it is being inflated. Make sure you use a cage. Do not air it.up any other way..while you might be "just fine for now" these can have catastrophic failures and have the power to kill you. Is this worth risking.to save a few bucks on tires? Use a cage. And while you may be perfectly.able to do.this yourself, I don't recommend it. If this is a question that you are asking online here, no offense, but are you confident in knowing that everything is in proper condition and not.going to fail? Do you know what signs to watch and.listen for while inflating that indicate it is not seating properly and starting.to come loose?
Just please be safe
Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
mike16

not sure what year rim you are using. there are the two piece rims from 68 and earlier and the "split rims" from 69-72.

I am totally into the two piece rim thing as my 68 k20 is 100% origonal. and that is important.

I took one rim to a tire shop and they pretty much ruined it. rely on others and you might prepare for that eventuality. Oh and those rims are date coded too .

better to take control of the cituation and do it your self. If you use common sense and a little imagination along with a bit of survival instinct and you wont need a cage.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawhite1 View Post
Does anybody work on split rims anymore? I've heard some truck stops will handle them but I don't know where to start.
Truck tire shops only, don't waste your time at a car tire tire shops. They are more expensive to deal with ( tubes, liners extra labor costs), but you'll retain a genuine old school look that you just don't see anymore.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote