The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
homemade87

Re: Need advice on fixing broken rocker stud on Big Block..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
A little more info....

I don't see any marks or contact on the rollers. Here is a pic of the damaged one, you can see some silver on the bottom that looks like the threads.

The rocker studs are 7/16 and just shy of 2"

The previous owner bought these rockers from a marine shop for $120, but no part numbers.

The cam is a Crower 01243, intake 284 with a .541 lift. Exhaust is 290 at .517 lift. The cam card says based on 1.7 rockers, but I can't identify mine.

I can not tell any info on the springs in the head
The one things I see is there is thread marks on the rocker from the stud . Could be the rocker was pivoting back on the stud and flexing the stud to the point of fatigue and breaking it . This may be the reason why it broke where it did . Could be the reason you see the mark on the stud as well . Take a closer look at it and see if this is a possibility .

If this is the case , could be from the wrong length push rods . Be a good ideal to check the wipe pattern on the valve .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
JMac11

Re: Need advice on fixing broken rocker stud on Big Block..

Factory Stud, no telling how old or how hard it has been run. BBC are hard on them and rockers in stock form. Make sure you have correct installed height on springs. Most of the companies assume you are putting in hardened retainers and tossing rotators.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote