The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2017, 12:28 AM   #1
King951

Smile Cheap carburetor / HEI Ignition Timing

Hey there,

My 71 C20 307 / 3-speed I purchased last month as a daily driver / work truck had a "rebuilt" Rochester 2G from the previous owner. It ran alright but every vacuum port on the carburetor had been plugged by what appeared to be a lead plug of some sort. I wasn't confident in my ability to drill it out without destroying the carburetor so I did some searching around. The current state I was in: I was driving my truck with no vacuum advance, it was just plugged off. A local carburetor shop had a 2G Rochester but they wanted $200 plus my core carburetor despite mine running already. Fast forward about a week and my truck leaves me stranded, the filter in the carburetor itself was completely clogged to where no fuel would flow through it. (It was black instead of orange.) I put a new one in but by that point I guess it had already sucked dirt into the carb itself. Now it is 9 PM and I am rebuilding this carburetor after being towed home because I need to get this truck to work tomorrow. All said and done it now runs but the accelerator pump breaks in the process and now I am having issues taking off, especially when the truck is cold and my vacuum advance doesn't work. Despite all this I find something online. A remake of a Rochester 2GV on Amazon for $86. I am pretty certain this is one of those Chinese remakes but it has perfect reviews everywhere I look online and free 2-day shipping. I go for it. Receive the carburetor the next day. Come with base plate, gaskets, and more than enough vacuum ports. Everything is brand new and it looks clean inside and out. I hook it up to my truck and use vacuum plugs for the ports I am not going to use. (I believe this is based off of a newer design, mine was a 2GC this is a 2GV). Despite all this I hook the carburetor up, move the air/fuel setting to 1.5 turns out, and the truck fires rite up. I set the idle to ~650 RPM. Extremely responsive, running great. I take a drive to Auto Zone to buy some vacuum line and the truck is now running better than it ever has, very impressed so far. I get the correct vacuum line and hook it up in the parking lot for the first time. I can't believe this is the same truck I was driving to work everyday. I don't know if it was my old carburetor, or the fact that I now have a vacuum advance, or just the combination of both, but it feels like I am driving a totally different truck. It went from a truck that pretty much lugged along (the bed is fully loaded) to now the thing will throw you back if you step on it, before you had to be careful not to step on it to quick or it would hesitate and now it has near instant throttle response. The truck doesn't even sound the same when it idles, it quieter and smoother. I am not saying Chinese carburetors (assuming that is what this is) are better, but I do not think they are a horrible option like I have seen some people make them out to be. I am sure if you broke everything down or did a side by side test / comparison the Rochester or name brand carburetors are probably a much better option, but for $86 so far I am extremely pleased. I will update about this carburetor as I go along.

Now on to my main question. I now have a vacuum advance on my 307. I am running an HEI distributor. Is that going to change where I set my timing? I have seen mixed reviews on how I should set my timing on a 307 online. Some say 10 BTDC, some say 2 BTDC, some say 12-18. I am confused as to what is true or if HEI distributor makes a difference.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:32 AM   #2
King951

Re: Cheap carburetor / HEI Ignition Timing

If it makes a difference with timing, my truck never goes over 3,000 RPM. Stays in the 700 - 3,000 RPM range at all times.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:46 AM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Depends on your camshaft and what you wanna get out of the truck. Sure a stock 307 will probably be set low around 6 to 8 degrees. Performance cams are gonna want more timing. Also... open up the gaps on the plugs to at least .045 with an HEI ignition.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
King951

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Depends on your camshaft and what you wanna get out of the truck. Sure a stock 307 will probably be set low around 6 to 8 degrees. Performance cams are gonna want more timing. Also... open up the gaps on the plugs to at least .045 with an HEI ignition.

Gary
Forgot to mention, I did open up the plug a bit. .045 is what I set it to. Other than that the truck is all stock 307. Not looking for high performance, just something reliable that's gonna be used as a daily driver / work truck. No crazy cam / stuff like that.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:53 AM   #5
rockyrivermark

Put a vacuum gauge in one of the ports and adjust timing to peak vacuum. You can also hear the engine run higher rpm and smoother when timing is best.
Start at 6 degrees and advance up until engine bogs a bit then back off to peak
the vacuum
For my stock 350 with edelbrock 600 and HEI best timing
Was around 12 degrees BTDC
keep the dizzy bolt slightly loose so you can adjust as you drive it.
Good luck
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
leddzepp

Nice truck. Did you buy it off of Indiana and Tyler? Looks just like a truck in my old neighborhood

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #7
King951

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Nice truck. Did you buy it off of Indiana and Tyler? Looks just like a truck in my old neighborhood
You just might be talking about my truck. Go up La Sierra past the 91 and make a left. Somewhere in those houses in those hill type areas. In between Indiana, Tyler, and La Sierra. I live about 5 minutes from there.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 AM   #8
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by King951 View Post
You just might be talking about my truck. Go up La Sierra past the 91 and make a left. Somewhere in those houses in those hill type areas. In between Indiana, Tyler, and La Sierra. I live about 5 minutes from there.
That’s the one! I used to live one block away from it...for 16 years, now I’m about 10 minutes away down La Sierra.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 AM   #9
King951

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
That’s the one! I used to live one block away from it...for 16 years, now I’m about 10 minutes away down La Sierra.
Wow, small world. The old man's name was Manny. Really nice old man, said the truck belonged to his dad. If you know anything about the truck I'd love to hear it. I live rite across the street from La Sierra University if you know where that is. Nice to see someone local on the thread.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
geezer#99

Sounds like your original carb with the plugged ports was likely a marine carb. Marine carbs are like that.
Here's a link with some good info on setting up your timing.
http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...d=76/prd76.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote