The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
54belair

FYI---Seats

This is just an informational thread concerning aftermarket seats.

During my build I elected to use some really nice black leather seats out of a trailblazer. The seats are very comfortable and look great, However, they are just "too much" seat for this cab. I removed the gas tank, mounted the seats as far back as possible but the leg room is still very cramped. Very cramped since I'm using a 4 speed. I'm tall so using the clutch is unhandy because of seating position.
Now to the reason for the post. I decided to go with the TMI brand aftermarket seat with the mounting brackets for these trucks. Just ordered so I cant add any info about looks or how they feel. What I do want to pass on is----If anyone else is considering TMI seats, you can buy them from TMI, from LMC or Summit or-----the list goes on and one. You might think that LMC would be the cheapest, but not so. The absolute cheapest source that I found was Summit. The most expensive source was TMI themselves followed closely by everyone else!! Summit was cheaper plus summit had "free" shipping. Pricing on the seats varied as much as $600 (for two bucket seats and the addititonal brackets). Man, that's more variation than I paid for the trailblazer seats!!!!
Later this spring when I get the seats installed (which will also require more new carpet), I will post the new look in my build thread. These seats are somewhat thinner with low backs, all of which should allow a little more room.(I guess that means you never get finished "building" one of these trucks!!!

The pics show the existing seats and the lack of leg room.
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Richard2112

Re: FYI---Seats

That a good heads-up. I'm planning on using a bench that folds forward but buckets had been considered. I'm not tall and still find leg room limited in my 70. If I could push my seat further back, I would. Don't need less leg room.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
54belair

I saw another post asking about behind the seat storage (?) With the tank Out--I may have enough to put a laptop case. Just isn't any storage and I don't expect anymore with the new seats.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 03-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Richard2112

I removed my in cab tank to gain any space I could. That tank was well fitted because even after removing it, there was still very little space. A few small items might fit back there but they'll likely wind up under the seat anyway.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
54belair

I removed the tank for two reasons---safety and additional space-----all I can say at this point is--its safer with the tank out. If someone was to remove the tank for additional space---they will be disappointed. I also wanted to use the filler hole for an antenna--which worked out fine.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Jahloha

In my build notes I have TMI as a finalist for my bench. I will either go with their low profile or rebuild my existing bench with American Cushion and Ricks Upholstery.

Are you not getting to the TMI install til SPring due to shipping or time?

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
....The most expensive source was TMI themselves followed closely by everyone else!!....
If you sell direct and through distribution you don't want to undercut your distributors. That's probably why they are more $$ direct. They want to offer factory direct but not hurt their distribution network.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
I removed the tank for two reasons---safety and additional space-----all I can say at this point is--its safer with the tank out. If someone was to remove the tank for additional space---they will be disappointed. I also wanted to use the filler hole for an antenna--which worked out fine.
That's a great idea. I was considering doing a tank filler cap mock-up just to keep the appearance, but an antenna...interesting.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
54belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
In my build notes I have TMI as a finalist for my bench. I will either go with their low profile or rebuild my existing bench with American Cushion and Ricks Upholstery.

Are you not getting to the TMI install til SPring due to shipping or time?
The spring time frame is both My time constraints and shipping time. I ordered earlier than planned due to long lead time, but Ive got a samurai project getting close to being ready for paint and an engine transplant--need to clear everything out of the shop before I paint!! THEN Ill have time to re do the truck interior.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread