The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Coalson01

TBI stand alone engine harness??

Hey guys, I'm planning on putting this '95 tbi 350 in my truck with a 700r4 behind it.. I have all the factory wiring harness and computor.. is there a web site that shows me what wires to delete or what it takes to convert the harness for easy hookup, tips, anything.. thanks zack
Coalson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Coalson01

Re: TBI stand alone engine harness??

I forgot the most important part. My truck is a 69 SWB chevy, it has a inline six and a three on the tree
i am thinkn about going with a painless wiring harness let me know what yall think or any tip
thanks zack
Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I am kind of in the same situation as you. I grabbed a complete TBI 5.7L and 700R4 out of a 1990 G-van including the completed engine and interior harnesses. I thought about reworking the G-van harness but for the hassle of doing that it might be worth purchasing a harness. After all, that G-van harness is 18 years old and the weather pack connectors are rather brittle.

I found a decent looking harness on Ebay for a decent price from a place in Denver called Fuel Injection Connection. Do a search on TBI harness to see it. The problem is I don’t want to purchase their harness off of Ebay until I speak with this guy first. I left them two voice messages last week and they still haven’t returned my call. Come this next week I will spend an extra $100 and place my order with Howell Engine Development instead. If they FIC can’t return a call to sell you a harness just think of the service you will probably receive if you should have a problem with their harness.

I am not much of a fan of anything from Painless. They are overpriced and they don’t even cover their harnesses with split loom!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Coalson01

The painles is really expensive. I am thinking about trying my luck and work threw the factory harness or maybe finding a cheaper harness somewhere. I dont blame you for not wanting to buy a harness from somone that want even return a phone call thanks for your help

hopefully someone else has done this allready a can help us threw the process
Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
70GMCer

There's a site that was posted on here a while back, that you could send your old harness to, and they rework it to remove all the unwanted wires & test everything. Maybe do a search on here, or someone will chime in that site.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Chevy Hi Performance usually has an ad for a company that does custom harnesses for the swaps.I think they are fairly reasonable.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Coalson01

Thanks 70GMCer I believe I found the one you where talking about. Is it speed scene wiring (speedscenewiring.com) I am looking into it now. thanks for yalls help I am still looking and open for ideas so everybody feel free to put in your comments
thanks Zack

I am fixn to check out Chevy Hi Performance thanks PanelDeland

Last edited by Coalson01; 10-27-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

http://www.speartech.com/ is another company, but I don't know if they do TBI.
Howell is the one most of the people I know of use.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalson01 View Post
Thanks 70GMCer I believe I found the one you where talking about. Is it speed scene wiring (speedscenewiring.com) I am looking into it now. thanks for yalls help I am still looking and open for ideas so everybody feel free to put in your comments
thanks Zack

I am fixn to check out Chevy Hi Performance thanks PanelDeland
Lets us know what you found out.

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I ordered mine today from Howell.

Most of the peeps reworking harnesses are working on 1996 and later OBDII type harnesses and not so much with TBI or even TPI stuff. If you really think about it these TBI engines are getting old. Even if someone reworks it for you, you still have a 15 + year old harness that probably has brittle weather pack connectors, etc. So, why bother paying someone to rework one….. Buy one from Howell for $325 and be done with it. Howell makes nice quality stuff.....better than Painless!

The folks from Fuel Injection Connection still haven’t returned my calls. If they ever do, I can’t wait to tell them they lost a sale for not returning phone calls.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Coalson01

I am also going to go with Howell (as soon as i get the $$) thanks everyone. I am also fixn to take and post some pics of my 69 as soon as I figure out how haha! I have a lot more question on other stuff for my truck so ya'll will be hearing a lot from me, i'll try not to ask to many questions, and thanks again for yalls help

Still learning my way around the site, but I am loving it. I spend way too much time on here, but I can't turn it off haha. Too much useful info.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
72blazerblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
I ordered mine today from Howell.

Most of the peeps reworking harnesses are working on 1996 and later OBDII type harnesses and not so much with TBI or even TPI stuff. If you really think about it these TBI engines are getting old. Even if someone reworks it for you, you still have a 15 + year old harness that probably has brittle weather pack connectors, etc. So, why bother paying someone to rework one….. Buy one from Howell for $325 and be done with it. Howell makes nice quality stuff.....better than Painless!

The folks from Fuel Injection Connection still haven’t returned my calls. If they ever do, I can’t wait to tell them they lost a sale for not returning phone calls.
Larry, I am about to purchase the EFI Harness from Howell also. I have a few questions ( I called to ask them but still am fairly confused).
Maybe someone here can help me clarify:

1990 K1500 5.7 TBI ---> 1967 2WD C10

1. TRANSMISSION. I plan to mate the TBI to my TH350, but later I may find a 700r4.
-Does my Howell Harness wiring need wires for a 700r4?
-Or should I omit those and if I decide to upgrade later, use a mechanical 700r4 ( I think thats what the 4x4 one is in the 90 4x4 now)

2. Do I need VSS with the TH350? 700R4?

3. Does the Howell wiring come with wires for Neutral safety switch?

4. The guy I talked to at Howell said I may not be able to use the computer I have. Said it may need a new Prom Chip?
72blazerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #13
MARKDTN

1. TRANSMISSION. I plan to mate the TBI to my TH350, but later I may find a 700r4.
-Does my Howell Harness wiring need wires for a 700r4? YOU CAN HAVE WIRES FOR THE TORQUE CONVERTER LOCKUP BUT IF YOU RUN A TH350 JUST GET A MANUAL TRANSMISSION PROGRAM
-Or should I omit those and if I decide to upgrade later, use a mechanical 700R4 ( I think thats what the 4x4 one is in the 90 4x4 now)

2. Do I need VSS with the TH350? 700R4? YES, YOU NEED VSS FOR ALL. THEY OFFER A VSS UNIT THAT SCREWS INLINE WITH THE SPEEDOMETER

3. Does the Howell wiring come with wires for Neutral safety switch? NO SURE.

4. The guy I talked to at Howell said I may not be able to use the computer I have. Said it may need a new Prom Chip? THE PROM WILL BE FOR THE VEHICLE IT CAME OUT OF. THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO A PROM FOR YOU FOR YOUR ENGINE AND DELETE VATS AND EMISSION STUFF.

Howell makes very nice harnesses.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
notsolo

Can't answer all of that but, I put a Howell H242 in my Blazer, 1993 5.7Tbi..4L60 trans. ...this is an engine and trans computer harness, comes with 2 plugs for the trans. No other interior wiring.other than computer....no neutral safety switch. Dont know if you would need to reprogram if you didn't hook up the trans wiring. Howell seems pretty good about answering questions, keep asking for details.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
72blazerblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Can't answer all of that but, I put a Howell H242 in my Blazer, 1993 5.7Tbi..4L60 trans. ...this is an engine and trans computer harness, comes with 2 plugs for the trans. No other interior wiring.other than computer....no neutral safety switch. Dont know if you would need to reprogram if you didn't hook up the trans wiring. Howell seems pretty good about answering questions, keep asking for details.
MARKDTN & notsolo, thanks for the replies that helps.

I have heard good things about Howell harnesses, so I plan to go forward with this harness to save me some time and headache.

......I am leaning towards that I won't need any trans wiring because I don't believe the 1990 comp I have has any mechanical trans hook ups, I think the 700r4 in that truck is all mechanical. Anyone confirm that?

I didn't see why I would need a new PROM for the computer I have, since I wasn't deleting the EGR or changing transmission capabilities?
72blazerblue is offline   Reply With Quote