The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Nudder Muffler Thread

I have decided it's time to do something about the sound on my '72 K2500. The system on there now was done in '04. It's full headers with Flowmasters, I forget which, through 2 1/4" pipes out the rear corners. It has been rock steady with no issues except it broke loose behind a muffler and I pieced it together. That was a few years ago right there. So I'm thinking the mufflers aren't muffling like they used too because it's louder than I like anymore.

The 350 is a good runner at somewhere shy of 275+hp, TH350 that shifts strong, and 4.10s. I want a more muffled sound. I think I want more than the quiet power mufflers out there. I'm just not sure what I'll get with those. I listen to videos but I never think the audio sounds realistic. I want a low muffled tone and also want good flow. I'm just talking about muffler replacement here. A new system can wait.

I almost pulled the trigger on these.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17741/10002/-1

I just landed on them looking for round w/offset. I wonder if they will have a nice tone. I know round is not as quiet as oval, but it has to do with how the exhaust is run. I'm ok with I guess I want more respectable sounding to suit the truck. Strong but not loud. I used to like the sound the truck had. I think any muffler will sound better now. It used to only get loud when it was wide open and the rest of the time just strong.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-28-2018 at 01:03 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
6T7 C10

Re: Nudder Muffler Thread

The Magnaflow #12635 would be another option in the same size and shape. I put Magnaflows on about everything and aways well pleased with the sound, construction, and durability. I like the flow through vs the turbo or deflector styles.

I did get out of my comfort zone recently and used a pair of 2.25" Hooker Aerochambers and at idle they are too quiet and at speed they are borderline too much.

Nudder opinion
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
CastIron

I plan on using dynomax 17747 on my C15 when I get exhaust. They are long-case turbo mufflers. Nothing fancy. The reason I want them is because I put some 17749 on my Chevelle about 15 years ago, based on a muffler shootout in Hotrod magazine. They flow extremely well and have a nice low rumble to them. I'm assuming that the mufflers I want for the truck will sound similar to the ones I have. They are a little louder than stock mufflers, but have a nice tone to them.
Here's a link to the Dynomax website that has sound comparisons for the different mufflers.
http://www.dynomax.com/sounds-of-dynomax/
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
4carbcorvair

I've run the Dynomax Super Turbo's on many vehicles with lots of compliments. Than I get the question, what brand. I tell them and get the 'Ohhhh......'. So you like the sound? Because they are Dynomax Super Turbos they aren't any good?? LOL!!! All because they are not Magnaflow or Flowmaster..... Yet they compliment before....

Anyway, nice rumble without being loud.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
jessemthompson

If you like the tone of your flowmasters, but the volume is too much. You should check out the 50 series flowmasters.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I think mine are loud because they are 14 years old. But I want something different that Flowmaster. A deeper tone. Dynomax is Walker and I like Walker. Used to run Redline Zs, which were a turbo muffler in the 70s. I had Turbo Tubes, looked just like side pipe mufflers, on a couple K/20s. I actually thought about going really quiet, like Cadillac mufflers, but might not like too quiet. i don't know. Never had a stock sounding anything I don't think

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I have no recommendation, but I'm thinking Cadillac mufflers when the time comes. If one will flow enough for a 500 CI engine, two ought to be pretty easy on a 400. I'm getting old enough that I really don't like exhaust noise.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #8
junksaver

I alway liked the dynomax super turbo mufflers. They flow well and have a nice sound that's not too loud. Flowmaster mufflers are too loud in my opinion. I used to work in an exhaust shop in the 90's and we would put flowmaster on the fox body mustangs. They sounded good on those because they had multiple cats to quiet the exhaust down. On older trucks and muscle cars without cats the flowmaster are just obnoxious. Back to the original question I think you will like the sound of the dynamax mufflers.
72 2wd 3/4 Ton Project or Parts?
73 4wd Blazer
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 AM   #9
Ironangel

Your sacrificing the deeper tone with 2-1/4" pipes. At least go with 40's, 50's would be better, with at least 2-1/2" tail pipes from the mufflers back. Since you've indicated a repair was necessary, now would be a good time to step up the diameter and thus lower the tone.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:12 AM   #10
hdff

I have these on my truck and like the way they sound. they are not round but are my vote of approval for dynomax.
https://www.jegs.com/p/Dynomax/Dynom...44869/10002/-1

I think I found them on amazon at a better price and 2 day shipping

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
68panelman

My 70 Blazer has Raptor mufflers. They are short style Muffler that exits at the front of the tire giving it a short system overall. I like the sound, a V8 should sound tough, if I want quiet I drive the 67 with 250 that you can't even hear running. Look very similar to Flowmasters. I could take a video, but do agree with sound being off, every time I listen to a video I hear a background noise of crickets or a million birds in the distance.

Oh, Made in the USA also
Attached Images

Last edited by 68panelman; 05-29-2018 at 07:40 AM.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #12
greasemonkey

Great thread. It seems like too many of the threads start with "I want a quiet performance muffler" and somehow it never really gets answered. I am watching this one with interest.

I've reached the point in my life (ok, I'm only 32, but still) where I want the truck to be quiet except for the few instances where I want it to be noticed. I have cutouts on my c10, so I want to put something quiet-ish on it for regular cruising. I have Aerochambers on one 350 (mostly stock) and MaxFlows on the other 350 (not as stock), and an Aerochamber on a 5.3 (stock). MaxFlows sound decent, definitely different than your standard Flowmaster or copy. They are LOUD under WOT. I like the Aerochamber tone better, but on my 5.3 it drones terribly at 70 mph and above. The other truck is a rattletrap so I don't notice the drone as much. I know I can do the whole branch resonator thing, but I'd rather just quiet it all down a bit.

I'm interested to see some more opinions on Dynomax. Hooker sold out and went to China, at least on the last few mufflers I've bought. Is Dynomax (Walker) still American?
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
69 MOD

In my '72 I put in Jones 19' mufflers, they're Magnaflo's before they get stamped at 1/2 the cost...I love the sound.
Pretty sure Jegs or Summit sell them too.

They have all shapes and diameters.
Round bodies are at the bottom of this page:
http://jonesexhaust.com/ProductsWith...96_11-187-5872

MOD

'71 GMC 2500 Custom Ol Blue
'72 Custom Deluxe Highlander Stuffed Olive
'73 Trans Am
'13 Silverado 2500 Duramax Storm Trooper
69 MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
69 MOD

They have a "Quiet Tone" Version also.

http://jonesexhaust.com/ProductsWith...64_11-187-5872

'71 GMC 2500 Custom Ol Blue
'72 Custom Deluxe Highlander Stuffed Olive
'73 Trans Am
'13 Silverado 2500 Duramax Storm Trooper
69 MOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Mike C

I have the Walker “Hemi” turbos on my Jimmy. They are just in a 20” case instead of the 16” their standard mufflers come in.

I think it sounds great and is relatively quiet. I bought a second set for the L36 427 I built for my short bed truck, so money where mouth is.

I have a set of Flowmasters on my Camaro I bought in ‘85. Before they were aluminized even. They sound great on my car, but they sound terrible on most because they don’t have enough cam or compression. But they are LOUD. But they haven’t gotten any louder in the 30 years they’ve been on the car! But I am beyond that now....

I bought a set of Full Boar stainless mufflers for my ‘vette. They are a Magnaflow knockoff. Fingers crossed they aren’t TOO loud...

I have a set of 6” round Magnaflows that we are going to put on my kid’s JImmy project. I have a test stand I run my motors on and just slipping them on the end of the headers, it’s amazing how much they knock the sound down. But they are still a teenager muffler.... :-)
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #16
Jrainman

I recently went through the same thing and after much research and a little gamble I bought a set of Gibson MWA mufllers , well it turned out to be a rock solid choice for me , at Idle a nice free flowing hint of a performace but very quiet , Normal driving again quiet with a nice low rumble tone, but if you put your foot in to the pedal these mufflers really open up.

Nodrone,very deep sound,but quiet as long as you dont put your foot in to them heavy . they are very well made and constucted ,from what I see from there constuction they should hold the same tone for there entire life.

there is a youtube video with them installed on a square body c10 and I must say the sound in the video is close to what I got .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
BugzC10

I'm considering these for the grownup sound...
Walker 21856 Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler
Old 05-31-2018, 02:49 PM   #18
4carbcorvair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

I bought a set of Full Boar stainless mufflers for my ‘vette. They are a Magnaflow knockoff. Fingers crossed they aren’t TOO loud...
I just installed a set of JEGS stainless steel mufflers. Arrived today, opened the box, and both mufflers are labeled FULL BOAR with a JEGS label/part number over one end. Installed on my CJ with 350. Not as loud as I was expecting, which is good, didn't want loud. I do have cats in place. I have a feeling without cats, they may be a bit louder, straight thru design.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 PM   #19
Mike C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4carbcorvair View Post
I just installed a set of JEGS stainless steel mufflers. Arrived today, opened the box, and both mufflers are labeled FULL BOAR with a JEGS label/part number over one end. Installed on my CJ with 350. Not as loud as I was expecting, which is good, didn't want loud. I do have cats in place. I have a feeling without cats, they may be a bit louder, straight thru design.
I bought the Jegs as well and learned they were the Full Boars. I like Jegs and Summits branded products as you usually get more than you paid for. But in the case of the mufflers, the Jones branded ones were cheaper... FML.

I ran them on my engine test stand along with the Magnaflows and some 40 series Flowmasters. But it's hard to tell any real difference with the muffler just hanging off the header and no tail pipe! But they sounded pretty good. Especially for the $35 they sell on Amazon for!

I don't order as much from Summit anymore because they opened that Arlington distribution center. Now everything is 8% more expensive from them.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #20
4carbcorvair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I bought the Jegs as well and learned they were the Full Boars. I like Jegs and Summits branded products as you usually get more than you paid for. But in the case of the mufflers, the Jones branded ones were cheaper... FML.

After I installed them I jumped online and checked. $20 a piece less expensive to buy a Full Boar vs JEGS labeled.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I was looking at Jones mufflers at Jegs. Both were bullet style but one was glass pack and the other was called a turbo. Don't see how a turbo design could come from a bullet casing. I know pictures are representations, but if I'm buying a canister-type muffler I want to see a canister-type picture, or at least read an accurate detailed description. I moved way from the unknown.

I've been paying a lot more attention to my exhaust sound since starting this thread. Drove the truck over 100 miles yesterday. I don't hate the sound, just want a change. I figured out what I'm not wanting, and that is the sound at idle I get with the Flowmasters. It's not loud, but it does sound like something badass idling. The sound that makes people wonder if you'll want to race. They sound great rolling at hiway speed and when I open it up. Not to loud at all. I'd like something that sounds like that, but quieter at idle. I feel like I can hear the muffler and the tailpipes now and I just want to hear the tailpipes. Sounds are hard to describe, but I feel Flowmasters have a tinny sound. Not crappy vibration like it needs fixed, but I hear the exhaust bouncing off the tin. I think it's that they have no packing. I need a muffler that has packing I think.

Still not sure I'm ready for stock. But I was thinking, we make all this fuss about good flow and worry about power lost in a stock muffler. Well stock exhaust is a single pipe and muffler. When you put duals on with two mufflers aren't you about doubling the flow even with stock mufflers? Most canister performance mufflers have the same internal bore no matter what size pipe you run. I think it's 2", usually. I was wondering about running a 2 1/2" system with stock mufflers and the headers. The truck has a lumpy idle and I'm thinking it would sound cool lumpy and muffled. And wide open would have to sound like it's breathing better than stock.

Tim

Old 06-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #22
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzC10 View Post
I'm considering these for the grownup sound...
Walker 21856 Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel Muffler
Cadillac muffler

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...g-lookup/21856