The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
G-NUT

Rocker arms: roller rocker, stamped steel roller tip, or stock

Any thoughts on what would be best; roller rocker, stamped steel roller tip rocker, or stock type stamped steel rocker?

Stock '85 350 with World Products S/R 170 intake runner, 67cc heads, mild 'RV' cam, performance rebuilt q-jet carb, mild-length headers, th400 trans, stock torque converter, 3.73 L.S. 10-bolt rear axle.

SOLD: 1985 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 3+3 Crew Cab Long Bed
G-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
mattfranklin

Re: Rocker arms: roller rocker, stamped steel roller tip, or stock

Engine Masters did a great back-to-back-to-back dyno test for many combinations. Rollers gave zero power difference. The only thing that made more power was picking a higher ratio, either for stamped or rollers. I recommend watching the video. Very educational. I'm using Crane ductile stamped in mine, stock ratio, because I'm keeping stock 1970 Corvette parts and specs.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
SunSoaked

Stay with stock or go full roller. As stated, you wont gain any significant power unless you change ratio. You will reduce friction and reduce wear to some degree, mostly in the valve guides/stems.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
G-NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
Engine Masters did a great back-to-back-to-back dyno test for many combinations. Rollers gave zero power difference. The only thing that made more power was picking a higher ratio, either for stamped or rollers. I recommend watching the video. Very educational. I'm using Crane ductile stamped in mine, stock ratio, because I'm keeping stock 1970 Corvette parts and specs.

Got it pulled up and I'm about to watch it while eating lunch. Thanks for the reply and insight.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
G-NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Stay with stock or go full roller. As stated, you wont gain any significant power unless you change ratio. You will reduce friction and reduce wear to some degree, mostly in the valve guides/stems.
Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have stamped roller tip rockers in my 350 right now. I got them on a good deal from a buddy who bought them and then never used them. Waste of money if I would have bought them new... no significant gain of any kind, and they are noisy.

Full rollers or nothing. But with a mild "RV" cam and those heads... stock stamped rockers would be just fine.

The video from Engine Masters does show a significant gain with roller rockers after switching to a 7/16" screw in stud over a 3/8" screw in stud. The 7/16" studs are less prone to deflection at higher RPM's. So if staying with 3/8" studs and making any kind of higher RPM pulls... it'd be a good idear to invest in a stud girdle.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
mattfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post

The video from Engine Masters does show a significant gain with roller rockers after switching to a 7/16" screw in stud over a 3/8" screw in stud. The 7/16" studs are less prone to deflection at higher RPM's.

Gary
Yes, I forgot the deflection part. Loved that vid.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
Coley

Smile Re: Rocker arms: roller rocker, stamped steel roller tip, or stock

Yeah...very good video, thanks for sharing on that.

I have heard about the advantages of the 1.6 rockers....even just having them on the exhaust, although I don't have any experience with that.
I think some guys have added that 1.6 advantage to basically an otherwise stock engine and cam and ended up with a slightly higher valve lift and more power as a result.

What I would be curious about is if anyone knows if a 1.6 rocker can be run with the stock valve cover?....definitive info.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
mattfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Yeah...very good video, thanks for sharing on that.

I have heard about the advantages of the 1.6 rockers....even just having them on the exhaust, although I don't have any experience with that.
I think some guys have added that 1.6 advantage to basically an otherwise stock engine and cam and ended up with a slightly higher valve lift and more power as a result.

What I would be curious about is if anyone knows if a 1.6 rocker can be run with the stock valve cover?....definitive info.

All good
Coley
Back in the day people used to use Plasticine clay to check for piston to valve clearance with high-lift cams and domed high-compression pistons. If no one responds with a solid answer about stock rocker covers, I think you could put a couple of globs of it on a few rockers, turn the engine over a few revs, and see how close it gets to the cover. And then know that in a running engine it would be tighter when the lifters pump up. Also, there are thicker valve cover gaskets available to help with clearance.

Also, on the rocker issue, the official Chevy Power Catalog (in my late 1980s edition), suggested trying higher ratio rockers. They also said try them on intake alone, exhaust alone, and then together and see what performed best.

Last edited by mattfranklin; 06-07-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: brain fart -- I typed lifter instead of rocker