The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Bdb68

Re: 1968 Custom Camper Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That was a really nice way of doing it! I found out the hard way on a 2002 Ford D60 I got to put under my 76. I ended up selling that axle and not messing with it. I like the way you did yours. I'd like to find 05 up D60 for my next build.
It was defiantly not the easiest axle swap. The rear end was a piece of cake, just cut the perches off and moved them in a couple inches. one thing I would recommend is getting new perches the width of the old truck springs. I didn't notice till we welded the ford ones back on that they are a little wider then the springs and sit make the u-bolts sit a little crooked. I really like how beefy thees axles and brakes are. they use huge 2 piston calipers front and rear with a drum in hat e-brake. If anyone is thinking of swaping these axles into anything take a good look at the brakes, I got my axles cheap and had to spend around$500 for parts to replace all the brakes.

The 05+ D60s are the coil springs correct? I would like to put them under something just to be different.
1972 Crew Cab Project
Bdb68 is offline   Reply With Quote