The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
FAKKY

Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
take your tank to a welding shop and have them clearance the rear of the tank (make it a trapezoid instead of a rectangle). if you need an in tank pump/sender bung installed at the same time they can do that too. it wont even cost what a new tank costs, and this one already fits.

looking good, keep up the good work.
Yeah I think thats one of the two options.

Trapezoid on the passenger side - custom made .... like $500-700 depending on number of irregular shapes to make work.

Regular fuel tank abnd relocate on drivers side where there is more clearance .... and run the fuel tank intake pipe across the top to the neck filler on the passenger side.

Im really starting to understand why so many guys out it in the rear though.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: 57 Panel "FAKMLC" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post

Trapezoid on the passenger side - custom made .... like $500-700 depending on number of irregular shapes to make work.
I am not suggesting making a new one. I dont know about where you are but here there are a lot of welding/fab shops that build dirt modified racers for weekend fun. I bet a triangle slice, not even any added material, would fix your interference. welding a gas tank is not dangerous if you clean it out well with a degreaser, some places will even fill it with sand or water.

for that matter it might be cheaper to have your axle "shortened", get an extra right axle and take the offset out of the left tube, add new leaf perches. centers the pumpkin for cheaper than building/buying a new tank

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote