The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
DoobieBrother

Truck wrecked

So it happened. My kiddo finished his new motor/trans setup (it was sweet!). Has been driving his `68 long bed for about a month since. Then recently someone pulled out in front of him and he was unable to stop in time. The result...quarter panels, hood, wheel wells, bumper, core support, etcetera. Biggest problem is frame. Front end of it is bent, basically up to first cross member where remainder of energy was absorbed.

So now we're looking at options. Don't know the feasibility or costliness of straightening the frame. That would be most palatable I think, if doable and not too costly. So looking at that vs. other ideas...

- fix frame.
- A donor frame, which is essentially a new truck build. Time and availability for the effort is a bit problematic.
- Cut off front end of frame and weld in new donor. Just as bad as frame replacement?
- Part out the truck, maybe using his motor and trans in something else, and forget it. This one isn't exciting. It's been a lot of work and in the family since new. That and I don't really have the space to have a partially assembled truck remainder laying around.
- Sell trying to recoup at least what he has in motor and trans, not to mention A/C and other stuff.
- Other ideas?

Basically looking for some input on best likely route to recovery.

Sorry if you see remnants of this post in other forum. can't seem to pick the right one this morning and moved it. ;-)
Attached Images

Last edited by DoobieBrother; 04-04-2019 at 10:51 AM.
DoobieBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
sick472

Re: Truck wrecked

Frame straightening can get costly, but when compared to the amount of work required for a full frame swap it would be worth checking into. Try to get a "frame guy" to come see the truck first. This would save the tow bill to and from the shop if it's beyond straightening.

I hate to hear about your misfortune and hope all involved are in good order. And, I would hate to see the truck given up on.

Try posting the pictures using the forums "Manage Attachments" function under the "Go Advanced" button that is below the "Quick Reply" box. Maybe you can get some responses from members here with straightening experience.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Using his motor and trans in another truck would probably be the easiest/cheapest fix, just not sure what you have access to in your area.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
57taskforce
All about them K’s

If you can find one a frame swap isn’t that terribly bad. Can be A little time consuming depending on how much time you’ve got to work on it. That’s the direction I would go if it’s bent bad. If it’s not too bad I’m sure a frame shop could pull it straight again. Obviously all this depends on how bad you want to save the truck or how attached to it you are.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Sloonz

Bummer to hear the news. Can't offer any advice based on experience but I'd start with your insurance company and find out what they're going to do as far as dollar amount on coverage. Personally I'd source a frame and start rebuilding. Hopefully insurance will give you enough to do some upgrades.
Sloonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
DoobieBrother

BTW, if anyone happens to have any "frame guy" suggestions in DFW, TX area (particularly near McKinney), love to hear.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
OARNGESI

You can try straightening it yourself with a come along
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
Old Truck Man

Yep remove the bent sheet metal. Hook it between two stout trees and use a come along to pull on it. may need to get a section of RR Track and chain it to the frame in a couple of places and use a jack. If your frame isn't bent or warped from the front suspension crossmember back the alighnment and handling will not be effected.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieBrother View Post
BTW, if anyone happens to have any "frame guy" suggestions in DFW, TX area (particularly near McKinney), love to hear.
I've recently had to do some minor frame work in your area ( Prosper TX ). After some research, I found that the mainstream frame repair shops don't work on these old vehicles. Linear Automotive in Frisco is a good example.

I ended up working with Loaded Dice Speed Shop in downtown Frisco ( LD Automotive ). They straightened my '67 frame and did some minor body work without any issues...couldn't hurt to give them a call...

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
DoobieBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I've recently had to do some minor frame work in your area ( Prosper TX ). After some research, I found that the mainstream frame repair shops don't work on these old vehicles. Linear Automotive in Frisco is a good example.

I ended up working with Loaded Dice Speed Shop in downtown Frisco ( LD Automotive ). They straightened my '67 frame and did some minor body work without any issues...couldn't hurt to give them a call...

-klb
Thanks much. I was actually kind of thinking of them. I've taken various things to them in the past before they opened the "Speed Shop". Will have to get with them and see.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #11
CharlieBrown

I have a frame here in northwest arkansas if interested
1972 Cheyenne 2wd...named Death Row
CharlieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Ugh, that looked like a really straight/clean truck.

Based on your pics, that frame may have moved in a couple directions.

Frame swaps are not that bad. I'm from NY (rust empire) and my dad's done a ton for body/frame swaps.

Clean and rebuild anything that needs to be on the frame now.

Remove the bed, leave it outside. Remove the front clip, leave it outside. Remove the cab and set aside. Swap the engine/trans while the frames are side by side.

You just have to set back and plan it out. The front clip, radiator and all can come off as one piece. Make sure ALL wiring and steering stuff is loose and all that can come off with the cab...

No joking, my dad has swapped body/drivetrains on squarebody 4x4's by himself over a 3 day weekend with a running truck sunday night. He does have a backhoe and is a master with a torch though.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 04-04-2019 at 04:34 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
Overdriven

Remove all the front sheet metal, take some pics from the side, above and from the front, and get a quote on straightening the frame. If that’s too costly or too close to the cost of another frame then frame swap it.

Frame swap isn’t that bad if you plan it out. If you need to swap brake and fuel lines, do that first. Then drivetrain, then cab, bed and finally new front sheet metal. If one person put in 2-3 hours a day during the week, plus 2 full days (the weekend) they could easily have it done in a week. Just need some extra hands for moving the bed and cab.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #14
rjs53

Have you crawled under it looked at the cross member, checked between the bed and cab to see if the gap is straight? Is it just the front frame horn? If so use a come along. Take some measurements see if its square or where it gets out of square.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #15
mr.precision

When I got my 1967 short bed, it was apparent the truck had been crashed at one time on the front left side. Before doing some body work in preparation for paint, I located 2 guys here in my area that still straighten frames.
Without going into detail, the results never did meet my expectations. And fitting either aftermarket or factory panels can be a real challenge in getting the doors, cab, and hood to line up properly.

Might be best to source another truck. There are plenty of clean long bed C10's here in Arizona for reasonable prices. Of course you are in Texas, so that makes a difference.

Will be interested to see which way you go. In hindsight, I wish I had bought a good straight donor frame on my truck and done a swap. Short bed stepside 67's are really hard to find. Long bed 68 and up trucks are in a different category.

Good luck and keep us posted.
mr.precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #16
morepwr

Once the sheetmetal is off have a good look and post up some pics of the bend. Ask around at cruise nights and car shows in your area for a good body shop that isn't afraid to work on older vehicles. Ask at any specialty shops who build hot rods or race cars too as they may have a contact. I have seen some frames fixed that I thought no way they would come back, but they did. Steel has a "memory" for lack of a better term and a good frame guy will get it back pretty good.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #17
Coley

Okay...quick key opening question:

was the truck insured when this happened?

C.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #18
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My truck got a frame. It was bent in spots we didn't see until the cab and bed were off.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #19
yuccales

That's a bummer about the truck. Hope your boy is ok.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #20
factorystock

Most all insurance companies will total the vehicle. They will say price to repair will exceed the value. What is the value? The value would be what most similar condition pickups are selling for right now. Take an insurance check for around $5500-$6000 and start looking. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...839580153.html IMO, Ayou can fix it on your own, but you'll have a truck with salvage title and probably much more money into it than $5500.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
OARNGESI

Personally I would leave it together until you have the parts to fix it. A frame shop should be able to straighten the frame or you could do it your self. It’s a easy fix if you Decide to swap frames you are looking into a restoration by the time your done.

Last edited by OARNGESI; 04-06-2019 at 02:44 PM.
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #22
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

There are a few of us older people that have gone to extra ways on protecting are front ends from people that pulling out in front of you is Just OK. Most old timers use to tell me to Weld in a hitch to the front of your truck and Leave the Ball sticking out. The reason for that if Most of the time when you have a front end crash one of your Farm Rails gets bent. But with the hitch up front, it Keeps your horns from buckling saves the Frame if you look at trucks that have Rear Trailer hitches and one that does not the ones without the hitches have bent Fames. Just a though
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote