The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
merlin3

converting from 2wd to 4wd

I have a really nice c10 short bed lowered big block 2wd that i restored and replaced most every part on it inc.the drive train ,I would like to convert it to 4x4,my plan is to maybe buy a 3/4 ton k20 4x4,shorten the frame, install the big block and auto trans and swap the cab and bed and what ever else.I would like your opinions on this kind of project or do i just sell it, take a hit and shop for a 4x4.thanks for the help.

Last edited by merlin3; 04-07-2019 at 06:50 AM.
merlin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
jocko

Re: converting from 2wd to 4wd

Considering that you could probably get a pretty penny for a big block swb C10, especially if it was born that way (or was it built into one - doesn't really matter too much, but if born that way, it's pretty rare and would command top dollar), I'd sell it and search for the K10. If you're willing to use its parts for a K10, then you're also willing to sell it outright for profit.

As for the 4x4 approach, I'd search for what you want first - a swb K10 is what it sounds like you want. Or, are you saying you really want a shortened K20 big block? Asking because GM never made swb K20s and they never made any 4x4s with a big block. So either is a very custom approach. And I will say - either will be worth quite a bit less than a bone stock swb or lwb K10 or lwb K20 when you're done - so that's something to keep in mind.

A lwb K20 (get in line mister!, ha, we all want one), or a swb K10 (probably only second in value to an original swb C10 big block (sometimes worth more than a swb C10 big block... trim dependent) are both very nice Ks to have and drive. If you're building a custom hot rod 4x4, no worries, I get it, but keep in mind the amount of value decrease you may experience if you try to sell later. For example, there is a very well done K20 swb on CL right now, been there for months and months, for $32K. And I have no doubt the seller has sunk that much into it, but if the buying audience shrinks 90% because of those mods, well, you get the idea. Don't get me wrong, when you own it, you can do whatever you like - and I do completely understand the desire to hot rod em and make them into your own vision, nothing wrong with that - I only wanted to point out that there were no stock configs like that so your buying audience will be smaller and price will have to follow if you ever sell it.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
merlin3

thanks for the reply Jocko. The truck i have is defiantly not stock it started as a farm truck then a drag truck that was tubbed out I put a 509 merlin 3 with a new trans so thats why i was thinking a k20 for the bigger differentials to handle the power from the 509 cu in.good point on if i do the project it will be tough to sell.

Last edited by merlin3; 04-09-2019 at 04:31 AM.
merlin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

That was a lot of good info in three simple paragraphs.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
jocko

if you're wanting to stuff that 509 in it, well, I can see why you'd want some HD running gear! Here's some motivation!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Greasey Harley

It's worth mentioning:
If you go swapping different cabs onto different frames, you should document the swap, and combine titles.
Your state might might not check frame VINs, but some states (like mine) do and will NOT issue a title to a truck with mismatched VIN Numbers. It's pretty easy to do, as long as you have a title for the cab and the frame. Then you will never have a problem.

Just my $.02 worth
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

You have the whole 4wd drivetrain to consider for strength against that Merlin. Your reasoning for going to 4wd is flawed. I'd build the transmission, driveshaft, rear, and suspension to host the power of the engine.

On selling a modified built from parts SWB 4wd 67-72. There will be plenty of people wanting to buy it. It won't be the high end vehicle a nice factory example would be. But the money they are going for is stupid. Of course you would have a hard time getting $35K+ for it. It's crazy that anything costs near that much. We are enthusiasts, not investors. We do what we do because it's what we want to do. Money has nothing to do with it. Someone would pay what I consider a lot of money for a modified SWB 4wd if it's nice. Look at what a SWB Cheyenne Super BBC can go for. We see LS-swapped body dropped shaved this and that SWBs going for just as much. There is a huge crowd out there and the majority of them don't care about factory correct. They just want to own the end result.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote