The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #1
vet57air

TD Trunnions

I bought some Delrin tailgate hinges from TD Trunnions with stainless bases.
Very nice but are a bear to install. Anyone else have these and have tips on installing? I have them installed now at the mock up stage, but can't imagine installing with fresh paint, as it is a tight fit. Once in they are great but because they have no sloppy clearance like the factories, angling in the tailgate is going to take away paint. I have tried to contact vendor with no luck. Help appreciated
vet57air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: TD Trunnions

I put them in the tailgate (stepside) first, did it by myself no help, no scratches, no issues.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

For a fleetside? At what part of the install is giving you the most difficulty? I did put low tack masking tape on all of the edges. I installed one trunnion in the bedside post channel, lightly snugged the hardware. I applied some white lithium grease on the trunnion. With the help of my wife, I installed that side of the tailgate (as if the tailgate was in the down position). While my wife held the tailgate level, I lubed the other trunnion with the grease and placed it in the tailgate socket. Holding the trunnion vertical (like it bolts in), I carefully raised that side of the tailgate so that the trunnion cleared the channel and slowly lowered it so that my wife could run the bolts finger tight. I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet57air View Post
I bought some Delrin tailgate hinges from TD Trunnions with stainless bases.
Very nice but are a bear to install. Anyone else have these and have tips on installing? I have them installed now at the mock up stage, but can't imagine installing with fresh paint, as it is a tight fit. Once in they are great but because they have no sloppy clearance like the factories, angling in the tailgate is going to take away paint. I have tried to contact vendor with no luck. Help appreciated
Attached Images

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
vet57air

I did basicly the same thing, although I installed both trunnions into the tailgate before installing. I found that with the trunnions fitting with close tolerances they do not move at all from 90 degrees to the tailgate as the stock ones do.
vet57air is offline   Reply With Quote