The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
72velle

84 seat belt questions

Hey folks,
I have an 84 C10 Custom Deluxe. The seat belts are stiff and don't lock as they should on braking. I have 2 questions:
1. Should there be 2 or 3 seat belts?
2. who sells quality replacements?
TIA,
Kevin D
72velle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
DoubleDubya

Re: 84 seat belt questions

Driver and passenger have seat belts with shoulder harness and are retracting style. Middle passenger gets a manually adjustable seat belt only. I am not sure of a good source.
DoubleDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
MikeB

I never could find stock replacements for my 82. I bought a set several years ago from Juliano's when they had a sale on what they called stock replacements, but they really weren't. Nowhere near as smooth or easy to engage. From what I've seen, just about all the vendors sell the same type.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
K25alive

I did have a 1977 driver seatbelt rebuilt/fixed by Safetyrestore.com. I paid extra to re-web it too. Works great now. Price was reasonable.
K25alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72velle View Post
Hey folks,
I have an 84 C10 Custom Deluxe. The seat belts are stiff and don't lock as they should on braking. I have 2 questions:
TIA,
Kevin D
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/ag-17...kup-truck.html
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72velle View Post
Hey folks,
TIA,
Kevin D
There should be 3 belts, but the center is a lap belt.
I had to use aftermarket belts for awhile, a few years, until I found a nice set of OEM. I got mine from The Seatbelt Store, online. But since, I saw this place:
https://www.wescoperformance.com/resebe.html They look exactly the same, but offer more options, like the Metal GM buckle. They were alright, they served the purpose of having to have seatbelts. I did a color change on my interior, so I did the aftermarket belts until I could find stock belts.
Here lately, and after I restored the set of OEM belts I have found for myself, I have been doing a few other sets of belts. Mainly I thoroughly clean the belts. Hot soapy dawn soap and mild scrubbing of the belts. The retractor casing really does get gunked up with all kinds of nasty stuff over the last 40 yrs. I have a set I’m working on right now, that the belts would not even retract. After a good cleaning and a little Lubing of the retractor mechanism, they are back to retracting. I don’t remove or replace the webbing. Next I prep them for dye, and then the dye process. So far all the ones I have done, have turned out pretty good. Not perfect, but definitely better.
So first, here are some pics of the aftermarket belts I had and then the belts I restored for my truck. Originally, my truck WAS Burgundy.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #7
TKCR

Here is another set of belts I did for someone.
2 before pics & the last 3 are after pics.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #8
TKCR

Here’s a Burgundy set. Not perfect but better.
Pic 1 shows the before fading of the belts. Pic 2 shows after dye. Again, not perfect, but definitely better.
Pic 3 before
Pic 4 after a good cleaning, prepping and dye.
Stock Belts are hard to find and most are just to far gone for any help. I thought the ones I do find, I figured it wouldn’t t hurt to try to make them look better and get them working again.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2020, 12:04 AM   #9
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by K25alive View Post
I did have a 1977 driver seatbelt rebuilt/fixed by Safetyrestore.com. I paid extra to re-web it too. Works great now. Price was reasonable.
Do you have any pictures? I had heard of a place, called SnakeOyls, something like that? They did seatbelt restorations, but they were in the range of $1000 and up. A bit too much for me.