The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
Slowguy

trans dipstick question for 4l80e, Lokar style firewall mount

So I ordered this lokar firewall mount dipstick. I'm skeptical because a dipstick is not supposed to lay on the bottom of the pan? I ordered it specifically for my 4l80e and the pan has not been modified or changed. When I insert it I can feel it make contact. The stick is flexible plastic and it sure feels like it is making contact with the bottom of the pan and then flexing along the inside of it. This is not normal is it?

I don't want to take any chances. I spent the money on seals, trans2go shift kit and a stall converter from circle d. Last thing I want is to ruin the trans somehow from not filling it properly.

on a side note: I forgot to fill the converter before bolting the trans to the engine. I was worried I should pull it all apart, but a friend said I could fill the pan, crank over the engine (disable it to run, just crank it over), let the pump pull the fluid out of the pan into the converter, fill again, and do this a few times until the pan stops draining. Does this sound okay?
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: trans dipstick question for 4l80e, Lokar style firewall mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowguy View Post
So I ordered this lokar firewall mount dipstick. I'm skeptical because a dipstick is not supposed to lay on the bottom of the pan? I ordered it specifically for my 4l80e and the pan has not been modified or changed. When I insert it I can feel it make contact. The stick is flexible plastic and it sure feels like it is making contact with the bottom of the pan and then flexing along the inside of it. This is not normal is it?
I have never seen Lokar make plastic dipstick. I would contact them to discuss it. Their technical support has been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowguy View Post
on a side note: I forgot to fill the converter before bolting the trans to the engine. I was worried I should pull it all apart, but a friend said I could fill the pan, crank over the engine (disable it to run, just crank it over), let the pump pull the fluid out of the pan into the converter, fill again, and do this a few times until the pan stops draining. Does this sound okay?
Since you have no fluid in the TC, I have heard to start by adding 4-quarts; start the engine for only a few seconds then shut down; add another 4-quarts and start the engine again. Shut down after a few seconds; Check the fluid. If OK start and let it run a little longer and check during running. Add fluid as needed to top off. I would not remove the TC at this point if it were me.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Slowguy

yeah, took a measurement and this definitely isn't correct. I guess I didn't buy (purchased this a while ago) Lokar brand and that's what you get. It's a plastic dipstick and obviously WAY too long. Going to have to figure out how long it should be and cut it down a little.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I tried several options for my 4L80e, but didn't want to mount something on the firewall. Ended up going with the Summit AAF-ALL69118. It fits pretty well. Had to fab a bracket to get it to bolt to the back of the head. Wish I had a better pic for you.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
Slowguy

that looks really good. I'll probably do that same thing now. I don't trust this firewall mount stick. I'm afraid to use it as a guide for properly filling my trans
Old 05-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Here is the Lokar firewall mount trans dipstick that I used for my 4L60E. I hope it's correct.

Name:  IMG_9154.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9565.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  30.0 KB

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #7
goatless

FWIW, I've seen this method in 2 places, and is how I just filled mine:

From https://www.hotrod.com/articles/caus...7j90czdp_pSgU:
Quote:
1. Your Dipstick Is Wrong

Most people don't realize that transmission dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate. When you take into account the length and width of most transmission pans compared to their shallow depth, it is fairly obvious that a dipstick reading that is even a quarter of an inch off can mean you are running your transmission significantly low on fluid. In a performance scenario where fluid demand can be extreme, this can cause significant damage quite quickly.

It is a good idea never to simply assume your transmission fluid dipstick is correct right out of the box. To check it yourself, put the dipstick in place, drop the pan, and make sure that the full mark is even with the bottom edge of the transmission case (where the pan bolts up). If your full mark is low, simply make a new mark on the dipstick. A simple way to do this is to use a file to make a small notch in the side of the dipstick.

With the dipstick checked and properly marked, you can now be confident that you have adequate fluid for even the most demanding driving conditions.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Slowguy

wow. very informative read. just what i needed. guess now I can modify the dipstick to be accurate.