The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
Ole Blue 71

Truck won't start after sitting a week

Hi all,

I have a 71 C10 stock 350/350 with a HEI distributor. If I let the truck sit for a week or more, I have to pour gas in the carb to get it to start. After that, it fires right up. Had the carb (Q-jet) looked at a couple weeks ago and he found a torn diaphragm on the accelerator pump. Thought we had it licked but it did it again this morning. Where should I be looking for this issue? Is it time for a new carb or am I chasing my tail. Recommendations, please!

Thank you
70 C-10 - "Goldie" (Sold)
66 Impala Convertible
20 FLTRXS
Ole Blue 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Richard2112

Re: Truck won't start after sitting a week

My C-30 does the same thing. Run it daily-no issues. Let it sit for a week-gotta prime the Q-jet. I don't know why but I think warm fuel tend to evaporate more quickly in the Q-jets. Could be wrong.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Have the small well plugs on the bottom of the carb base been epoxied? If not it could be that the fuel is draining out of the float bowls when it sits that long. It could also be that the fuel is siphoning back into the tank, draining the fuel lines.

Here is a kit for the plugs:

https://cliffshighperformance.com/Qu...ottom-plug-kit

Some people use JB Weld but I don't know how long it lasts.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
3757chevy

I like Qjets JB WELD is good for this application . standard motor products QJK2 is an option . NAPA 2-1401 works well.
MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Mine does the same thing, but the well plugs don't leak. I believe that that problem was cured in the late '60s with some updates to the design. If you look at the size of the float, the size of the float bowl and the phenolic block that holds the float on the pivot, you will realize how little fuel is actually in there. It's no surprise it has evaporated in a week.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
54blackhornet

Mine does the same thing. Combination of ****ty gas, leaking well plugs and tank pressure siphoning gas back into tank.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
rpmerf

My 70 does the same thing if it sits longer than 2 days. I have to crank it about 10-15 seconds, pressing the gas about once every other second.

The accelerator pump in the quadrajet only works if the float bowl is full. Once the level in the bowl starts to drop, it needs to refill for the accelerator pump to work. Since it has a mechanical fuel pump, it is only filling when the engine is spinning / cranking.

There was a thread somewhat recently about using an electric pump as a 'primer' pump.

EDIT:
If you want to google around on this issue. Look for posts by a guy named Lars on corvette forums. He has written lots of good info on the quadrajets over the years.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
mikeshome

Put a check valve in fuel line so it cant drain back.I think fuel pump has one built in.
mikeshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
Ole Blue 71

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Sorry, I forgot to add I did put a check valve in the fuel line above the fuel pump last fall. It takes way longer than a few seconds of cranking and pumping it seems. This morning, the starter was smoking.
70 C-10 - "Goldie" (Sold)
66 Impala Convertible
20 FLTRXS
Ole Blue 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
mikeshome

May have a pin hole in fuel line somewhere.
mikeshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Mine does the same thing, but the well plugs don't leak. I believe that that problem was cured in the late '60s with some updates to the design. If you look at the size of the float, the size of the float bowl and the phenolic block that holds the float on the pivot, you will realize how little fuel is actually in there. It's no surprise it has evaporated in a week.
The update you are referring to did help the problem. In other words it delayed the onset of the leaking plugs past the warranty period and that helped GM. Carburetors well into the 70's can still develop leaking well plugs. The fact is that you have steel plugs peined into pot metal. The two materials have different temperature expansion rates. After hundreds heat cycles cracks and voids develop around the plugs and eventually fuel gets past. The greater the temperature extremes the carburetor was exposed to the greater the chance the plugs will leak. And lets face it the quality control in the 1970's was less than optimal. I've see a couple pretty poorly installed plugs on late 70's carbs. An issue I have yet to see on any of the earlier carbs.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Mine sits 5-6 days every week and starts like it was parked 5 6 minutes ago. Used to be a turd then.
Rebuilt carb
New fuel pump and new rubber lines from the tank to the carb.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Blue 71 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Sorry, I forgot to add I did put a check valve in the fuel line above the fuel pump last fall. It takes way longer than a few seconds of cranking and pumping it seems. This morning, the starter was smoking.
If it takes more then several revolutions of the engine to get the float bowl filled then your fuel pump is dying.
I would also check the accelerator pump action. When you know the float bowl is full. Pull the air cleaner and look into the primary bores and wing the throttle. You should see a good solid stream of fuel shoot into each venturi. If you don't it is likely the accelerator pump has failed. The A pretty thing these days with the fuel available to us now. There are a couple more items that could cause it not to spray fuel. But check if you have good accelerator pump action first.
If you do then it is a fuel supply problem to the float bowl.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The update you are referring to did help the problem. In other words it delayed the onset of the leaking plugs past the warranty period and that helped GM. Carburetors well into the 70's can still develop leaking well plugs. The fact is that you have steel plugs peined into pot metal. The two materials have different temperature expansion rates. After hundreds heat cycles cracks and voids develop around the plugs and eventually fuel gets past. The greater the temperature extremes the carburetor was exposed to the greater the chance the plugs will leak. And lets face it the quality control in the 1970's was less than optimal. I've see a couple pretty poorly installed plugs on late 70's carbs. An issue I have yet to see on any of the earlier carbs.
Thanks for that. It's good to keep facts in a discussion. I read elsewhere what I wrote above. I guess I'm lucky with my carb so far. It is the original.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #15
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Mine sits 5-6 days every week and starts like it was parked 5 6 minutes ago. Used to be a turd then.
Rebuilt carb
New fuel pump and new rubber lines from the tank to the carb.
Same here. It can sit for weeks now. Give the pedal a pump or two, he fires up pretty fast.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
tdangle

Use to have the same issue with my Quadrajet. Rebult, epoxy on the plugs didn't help. I figured the gas was evaporating. Always a slight gas oder. New engine has a new holley on it and starts super quick even when sitting for more than a few days.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #17
rockyrivermark

I just solved this on my c10. One way valve didn’t help.
It’s evaproating from in the bowl.
I have mechanical fuel pump but also installed a cheap inline electric pump under the cab and wired it to a momentary switch. Basically a primer pump
Hit the switch for 10 secs and fires right up even after sitting 2 weeks. Electric pump from amazon was $22
Prob solved.
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:16 PM   #18
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Thanks for that. It's good to keep facts in a discussion. I read elsewhere what I wrote above. I guess I'm lucky with my carb so far. It is the original.
You are lucky to still have the original carburetor. Treat it with care. I couldn't count the number carburetors I seen that were treated like a cheap hammer. Then they wonder why they won't work.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
You are lucky to still have the original carburetor. Treat it with care. I couldn't count the number carburetors I seen that were treated like a cheap hammer. Then they wonder why they won't work.
Yeah, next rebuild I'd like to get the chromic acid plating kit and take it back to original looking. Maybe in about 10 years. It's been a few since I rebuilt it, and I had bushings put in the throttle plate. Good for another 50 years.

I also have an electric fuel pump to prime with, since my truck sits for weeks at a time.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #20
custom10nut

I have the same issue with mine. If I start her everyday, she starts right up, but the longer she sits the longer it takes.. Though mine has the Edelbrock 1406 w/pressure regulator.
I never made the connection with the Fuel pump. Mine is about 20 years old now, so it might be time for a new one.��
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote