The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #1
SCOTI

Re: 70 gmc DIY build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben IV View Post
Thanks. I don't know if it's car show nice but I'd love to go to c10's in the park or LST some day.

Thanks just trying to build a fun driver.
I've never owned "car show nice" rides. They've always been fun/cool drivers. The Patina trend just helps up the status. Once the trend ends, I'll still be building budget drivers that peers will turn their necks for. The only one I ever planned to paint (& attempt to make really nice) is my RetroRod. It was perfect patina back in the late 80's until it was stolen & hacked up. It will get decent paint.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
Ben IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I've never owned "car show nice" rides. They've always been fun/cool drivers. The Patina trend just helps up the status. Once the trend ends, I'll still be building budget drivers that peers will turn their necks for. The only one I ever planned to paint (& attempt to make really nice) is my RetroRod. It was perfect patina back in the late 80's until it was stolen & hacked up. It will get decent paint.
Nice to not have to worry about a little scratch or chip. But some people are taking patina too far kinda like they did with the "rat rod" craze.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
Ben IV

First stage complete and ready to move on to the frame. Broke the bed back down since I'm working in a 2 car garage and need space.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Ben IV

Frame was next. I know people typically cut the frame on these trucks under the cab but I didn't feel like lifting up the cab and trying to work under it. And taking the cab off was too much work. So I decided to make my cuts behind the cab and move the crossmember forward. Being a leaf truck made this easy but wouldn't be too bad on a coil truck either. You have to remove 8 rivets to get the crossmember out (12 on a coil truck) 2 of which have to come out anyway to remove the front bed mount. With this method you don't have to move the cab mounts forward requiring removing 8 rivets and drilling 8 holes. I chose to just weld the crossmember back in instead of bolting it, easier and stronger. Laying out your cut lines is simple. Just pick any spot make a mark then make another exactly 12" from your first mark. Then make the other side match. So long as you're taking exactly 12" from each side things will line right back up. Back of the frame is easy. Mark and drill the rear bed mount bolt hole up exactly 8" then cut 8" of off measured off the end of the frame. Next post I'll get into prep welding and fish plates.
Attached Images